Fuel pump and sending unit

5 minutes ago, JMO413 said:

I'm going to call them tomorrow and see if they can made a Renix correct one. They are in Iowa like an hour and a half away from me. I will report back tomorrow 

I'm sure they can.  Honestly I should have just called them and told them about the error, but I'm not sure if they would believe me (as some random internet weirdo).  An actual customer reporting that it works backwards, and that the XJ and MJ share the same cluster, might get more response.

51 minutes ago, krustyballer16 said:

How much was it?

and do they not seperate lwb and swb? I read it as it works for both size tanks...?

I thought the SWB and LWB senders are the same.  The tank is the same height, and really more or less the same other than the extra length to the rear of it.

I called MTS today and spoke with Jeremy. The first thing I have to say is I wish more companies like them existed. I asked him about their fuel sender. They reverse engineered it from one they had a customer send them. I then explained the Renix -HO values ordeal. The best part was he understood me. I love talking to someone at a company who understands their products. He said he would talk to the owner of the company about it and see if they could make a Renix version. He said it would probably take six weeks or so to produce them. He took my number and said he would call me back.

He then called me back about 20 minutes later. He went to pull their file on the sender. Side note he said they reverse engineered it from an 80 something. He was the one who actually tested the one they had sent in. The one they used was a Renix model and I was correct about the values being backwards. He then explained they put it in the catalog backwards. Do I have one coming, should be here Friday. It was $150 pump and all. Sender alone was $90 I believe. When I get it I will do a full write up on it. He believes they will make an HO version also.

2 minutes ago, JMO413 said:

I called MTS today and spoke with Jeremy. The first thing I have to say is I wish more companies like them existed. I asked him about their fuel sender. They reverse engineered it from one they had a customer send them. I then explained the Renix -HO values ordeal. The best part was he understood me. I love talking to someone at a company who understands their products. He said he would talk to the owner of the company about it and see if they could make a Renix version. He said it would probably take six weeks or so to produce them. He took my number and said he would call me back.

He then called me back about 20 minutes later. He went to pull their file on the sender. Side note he said they reverse engineered it from an 80 something. He was the one who actually tested the one they had sent in. The one they used was a Renix model and I was correct about the values being backwards. He then explained they put it in the catalog backwards. Do I have one coming, should be here Friday. It was $150 pump and all. Sender alone was $90 I believe. When I get it I will do a full write up on it. He believes they will make an HO version also.

Holy Crap! We could get a source of new sending units!

8 minutes ago, eaglescout526 said:

Holy Crap! We could get a source of new sending units!

I actually believe we do have one. They seemed like this is what they do. The part that really stood out was when he said Jeep people are just good people. He was happy to listen to me and asked me more questions. He filled me in about their owner and how he likes to make parts that are needed and not available. Hopefully Friday I will be as happy as I am today. I would guess if we could collect the other variations they might be able to make them. Not sure but worth another phone call for sure.

2 minutes ago, JMO413 said:

I actually believe we do have one. They seemed like this is what they do. The party that really stood out was when he said Jeep people are just good people. He was happy to listen to me and asked me more questions. He filled me in about their owner and how he likes to make parts that are needed and not available. Hopefully Friday I will be as happy as I am today. I would guess if we could collect the other variations they might be able to make them. Not sure but worth another phone call for sure.

Guess we wait till Friday and see. If it works out then all we need is someone to make taillights.(nobody drag anything about those in this post!)

2 minutes ago, eaglescout526 said:

Guess we wait till Friday and see. If it works out then all we need is someone to make taillights.(nobody drag anything about those in this post!)

Friday can't get here soon enough. It's crazy to think they make them in Iowa. I'm good on tail lights! LOL I don't bring that up.

On September 3, 2019 at 5:50 PM, DirtyComanche said:

I thought the SWB and LWB senders are the same.  The tank is the same height, and really more or less the same other than the extra length to the rear of it.

Looking through the parts manuals at XJjeeps.com for 87-90 I see a sending unit assembly for the 16gal tank in a long bed, and then another for both the 18gal and 23.5gal in "both" the short and long bed. One version of each for 2.5 and 4.0, I'm guessing because of the pump. Interestingly for the carbed engines it lists separate versions for all three tank sizes, although I don't know you could actually get an 18 gallon tank in anything with a carbed engine.

But then I look in the 91-93 manual for the HO sending units, and now there's only two options. No difference in tank or engine choice, only gas vs diesel... all three of the diesel HO MJs built for the European market I guess. (When I say "three", I'm extrapolating from incomplete data on that production number, don't quote it).

1 hour ago, JMO413 said:

Son of a gun. Always like to support businesses like that. Once someone confirms fit and build quality, I'll be in for both a Renix one and an HO one once available.

I'd be very curious as to which fuel pump they supply. They seem like Bosch guys so far.

39 minutes ago, gogmorgo said:

Looking through the parts manuals at XJjeeps.com for 87-90 I see a sending unit assembly for the 16gal tank in a long bed, and then another for both the 18gal and 23.5gal in "both" the short and long bed. One version of each for 2.5 and 4.0, I'm guessing because of the pump. Interestingly for the carbed engines it lists separate versions for all three tank sizes, although I don't know you could actually get an 18 gallon tank in anything with a carbed engine.

But then I look in the 91-93 manual for the HO sending units, and now there's only two options. No difference in tank or engine choice, only gas vs diesel... all three of the diesel HO MJs built for the European market I guess. (When I say "three", I'm extrapolating from incomplete data on that production number, don't quote it).

My thought is if it sweeps correctly it can't be more inaccurate than my OEM sender. Mine currently goes from gas light on to 3/4+ with 10 gallons. Their site says it's for the 18 and 23.5 gallon tanks. They add the pump after depending on 4 or 6 cylinder.

The OEM fuel sending unit (for HO anyway, my Renix one doesn't work right yet) is quite accurate if working properly. The low fuel light comes on at almost exactly 3 gallons left. Empty is a little below "Empty" and full is a quarter needle above "Full" but it's still quite a consistent and useful instrument.

If these new ones are in the ballpark, I'd be satisfied. If they can duplicate the OEM accuracy which is more than good enough, even better.

6 minutes ago, Minuit said:

The OEM fuel sending unit (for HO anyway, my Renix one doesn't work right yet) is quite accurate if working properly. The low fuel light comes on at almost exactly 3 gallons left. Empty is a little below "Empty" and full is a quarter needle above "Full" but it's still quite a consistent and useful instrument.

With this in mind my gauge may be more accurate than I thought. If the light comes on at 3 gallon and 10 makes it 3/4 it's accurate. 13.5 gallons would be 3/4 of an 18 gallon tank. Thank you for that information.

I'm still satisfied with mx XJ sending unit in my tank without the pan. I have since installed the bosch fuel pump because the delpihi didn't make is 20K miles, but it reads accurate on the gauge. I have put 16.5 gallons in it before. The fact that the XJ sending unit is a bit shorter than the factory comanche one doesn't seem to make much of a difference. 16.5 gallons is close enough to empty for me. The only complaint I have, if any, is that, without the pan, the gauge seems to fluctuate when going around corners and up/down hills when there is less that 1/2 tank. 

4 hours ago, TexanEliminator said:

I'm still satisfied with mx XJ sending unit in my tank without the pan. I have since installed the bosch fuel pump because the delpihi didn't make is 20K miles, but it reads accurate on the gauge. I have put 16.5 gallons in it before. The fact that the XJ sending unit is a bit shorter than the factory comanche one doesn't seem to make much of a difference. 16.5 gallons is close enough to empty for me. The only complaint I have, if any, is that, without the pan, the gauge seems to fluctuate when going around corners and up/down hills when there is less that 1/2 tank. 

This is what I've talked to Brandon(Krustyballer) about making new float arms. I've dissected I don't know how many mj and xj sending units. These things are incredibly simple and way easier than people make them out to be. Rust free hangers is all that matters. The rest should be able to be overcome with modifications to the float arms by simply bending the arms if it's xj or reworking them longer entirely. The pitiless tanks will give way more fuel slosh making a short float arm extremely sensitive fluctuating your guage rapidly. I think a long float arm would be best in both swb and lwb trucks.

I also ordered a couple of sending units from T Rex Auto Parts who is a distributor of MTS products.  I didn't see it on their website, but I called them up and they knew what I was talking about; they just haven't gotten around to updating the website yet.  Call them and order over the phone.  I got one unit with the fuel pump and another unit just by itself as a backup.

http://www.trexautoparts.com/categories/jeep-sending-units   

On 9/4/2019 at 9:57 PM, Minuit said:

I'd be very curious as to which fuel pump they supply. They seem like Bosch guys so far

They use US Motor works as the pump supplier.  At least on the JPSU-6P unit that I ordered.  Jeremy said they'd been using this company for their pumps for years.