Should I cut up my truck?

I have some bushwacker fender flares that came with my truck when I bought it but I am hesitant to put them on. For one I like the stock look the original fenders have, and two I'm afraid of chopping off perfectly good metal. I do think the fenders would look good though, and itll give the tires some more room when I'm wheeling. What do you guys think?

Survey Says: I will not be using the fenders! Myself (as well as the majority of people who commented on this) think its a bad idea, so if anyone wants some bushwacker fender flares you know where to find me :)

6 hours ago, Jeep Driver said:

In case none of you have figured it out-

I do what I want and I don't give damn what anyone thinks about it. :smile:

S3sxime.jpg

If you want a large wheel/tire you are going to have to cut. 

Tu3EY6B.jpg

You are a braver man than I am

6 hours ago, Eagle said:

Another NO vote.

I could see it if the truck had the wheel arches all rusted out, but to chop into pristine bodywork? Nope.

Yea i think if it was in a bit rougher shape i wouldnt mind, but its still too shiny for me to hack it up

regardless of what anyone else thinks (it's your truck after all), if there's any doubt in your head then you probably will regret it later on down the road.  :L: 

longer bumpstops can help keep the tires out of the fenders.  what lift/rims/tires are you going to run?

If you plan to wheel the truck, it doesn't really matter if you cut it.

That nice sheet metal means nothing after the first time you smack a tree or rock with it.

If preserving the truck is the goal, you probably shouldn't be wheeling it.

Another no vote.  If the truck is trashed already, who cares.  Look around - how many MJs with clean uncut metal exist?  Far less than half of the remaining trucks I would think.  So it's my opinion you have something very unique and desirable now without doing anything.

I'm planning on a lift and running as big a tire as I can without cutting.  That might mean going 2.5-3.0" up and 31s or 32s max.  Not sure what will fit yet.  But I'm going to work within the limits of what the factory flares can handle.

Our trucks were designed by Roy Lunn, an industry icon.  He was responsible for the Ford GT40, the Mustang I Concept, the Boss 429 Mustang, and the Jeep Cherokee XJ, from which the MJ was born.  You can't really improve on perfection.

What I find interesting about this argument/discussion is the irony of it all.

It all boils down to two things, taste and objective. 

A man will say -no, don't cut- yet that same man will have no problem with decals, graphics, wraps, or two-tone paints (oh, and dare I mention rolled-on bedliner paint jobs and rattle can jobs). All of which I find tasteless, artless, atrocious. Rare exceptions of course would be classic rally sport stripes on muscle cars. 

Badges should be minimal and artful, I find the Comanche badge to be heavy and gaudy. I'd rather have nothing, I will have nothing. 

In my case-

My bed died the death of a thousand dents, didn't look bad at a distance but it has been abused, their was not 1 sq inch of rail that was not effected by a dent. I spent many hours getting the sides straight, the inside is a lost cause but a tonneau cover will save me. 

I really had nothing to lose by cutting, front fenders can still be found, again, really nothing to lose. 

But, I like the look. When the truck is finished and the 34s mounted, should look pretty good. 

Objective-

14" rotors in the front with 6 pot calipers........you need 18" wheels. Two caliper rear brakes. If and when I can afford it. 

There is nothing and will be nothing original or 'stock' on my truck when I'm finished.......I have my vision of what I want........you guys won't see what I see until I'm done, I guess.

16 minutes ago, Jeep Driver said:

A man will say -no, don't cut- yet that same man will have no problem with decals, graphics, wraps, or two-tone paints. All of which I find tasteless, artless, atrocious.

I’m a sticker guy, guilty as charged. Yes, at the end of the day we all do what we want to our Jeeps. Wheelers, climbers, DD, garage ornaments, builds that will probably never end, mods, the list goes on. I just looked at the basic questions.

On 5/24/2019 at 7:58 PM, Pirate_Staz said:

For one I like the stock look the original fenders have, and two I'm afraid of chopping off perfectly good metal.

He actually answered this on his own. Stickers can be peeled off.... clean original metal once cut up will never be original again to the Jeep. Again though, it’s completely a personal choice. His choice.

On 5/25/2019 at 9:51 AM, Pete M said:

regardless of what anyone else thinks (it's your truck after all), if there's any doubt in your head then you probably will regret it later on down the road.  :L: 

longer bumpstops can help keep the tires out of the fenders.  what lift/rims/tires are you going to run?

I kind of wanted to run 32's or 33's without lifting it any more than it already is, mostly because if I lift it an more Ill probably need to do leaf over axle and I don't have the time nor the money for it right now haha. I figured maybe the fender flares would help and give some space for some 32's but I think Ill keep it as it is with the 31's right now. Its not like I'm rock crawling with this truck after all, just some weekend camping :)

On 5/25/2019 at 1:26 PM, mnkyboy said:

If you plan to wheel the truck, it doesn't really matter if you cut it.

That nice sheet metal means nothing after the first time you smack a tree or rock with it.

If preserving the truck is the goal, you probably shouldn't be wheeling it.

When I say wheel I mostly mean goin out to the desert and camping with friends. I'm gonna try to keep the wheeling light until the Arizona pinstriping tears all the clear coat off or i accidentally drop it on a rock or something lol

9 hours ago, kryptronic said:

Another no vote.  If the truck is trashed already, who cares.  Look around - how many MJs with clean uncut metal exist?  Far less than half of the remaining trucks I would think.  So it's my opinion you have something very unique and desirable now without doing anything.

I'm planning on a lift and running as big a tire as I can without cutting.  That might mean going 2.5-3.0" up and 31s or 32s max.  Not sure what will fit yet.  But I'm going to work within the limits of what the factory flares can handle.

Our trucks were designed by Roy Lunn, an industry icon.  He was responsible for the Ford GT40, the Mustang I Concept, the Boss 429 Mustang, and the Jeep Cherokee XJ, from which the MJ was born.  You can't really improve on perfection.

my old MJ had a 3" lift with 31" mud terrrains. Those were the biggest I could fit without cutting. That being said they still did rub a tiiiiny bit every now and then so maybe that helps you going forward.

9 hours ago, Jeep Driver said:

What I find interesting about this argument/discussion is the irony of it all.

It all boils down to two things, taste and objective. 

A man will say -no, don't cut- yet that same man will have no problem with decals, graphics, wraps, or two-tone paints (oh, and dare I mention rolled-on bedliner paint jobs and rattle can jobs). All of which I find tasteless, artless, atrocious. Rare exceptions of course would be classic rally sport stripes on muscle cars. 

Badges should be minimal and artful, I find the Comanche badge to be heavy and gaudy. I'd rather have nothing, I will have nothing. 

In my case-

My bed died the death of a thousand dents, didn't look bad at a distance but it has been abused, their was not 1 sq inch of rail that was not effected by a dent. I spent many hours getting the sides straight, the inside is a lost cause but a tonneau cover will save me. 

I really had nothing to lose by cutting, front fenders can still be found, again, really nothing to lose. 

But, I like the look. When the truck is finished and the 34s mounted, should look pretty good. 

Objective-

14" rotors in the front with 6 pot calipers........you need 18" wheels. Two caliper rear brakes. If and when I can afford it. 

There is nothing and will be nothing original or 'stock' on my truck when I'm finished.......I have my vision of what I want........you guys won't see what I see until I'm done, I guess.

I agree with your less is more sentiment. Minus the comanche emblems and a flagstaff sticker on my truck I want it to stay nice and minimal for that "stock" look. Another reason ive decided not to use the fender flares lol. 

8 hours ago, 13 Legion said:

I’m a sticker guy, guilty as charged. Yes, at the end of the day we all do what we want to our Jeeps. Wheelers, climbers, DD, garage ornaments, builds that will probably never end, mods, the list goes on. I just looked at the basic questions.

He actually answered this on his own. Stickers can be peeled off.... clean original metal once cut up will never be original again to the Jeep. Again though, it’s completely a personal choice. His choice.

I think my only counter argument for those two points is that itll widen the wheel wells and give the tires some more room, as well as giving me a better approach angle. But then I realized I don't do anything that requires any of those nearly enough to justify it so I put the fenders on craigslist haha