Jeep Turbine 10-Spoke Rims Restoration

I purchased some Turbine rims today. I plan on restoring them. Not sure which method would be best.  

I’ve seen seen videos online where people sand blast the rims and then use a special wheel paint.

The picture of the single rim is what I believe the rims would look like if I refinished them. I’d either go with this look or get them chrome plated.

Also, I am looking for centercaps to go with these rims.

Thanks

527C4569-4B89-4572-9762-41895DC6FE58.thumb.jpeg.d42ad76b7a48a3c68574950bdc255879.jpeg

F748BE78-5459-4A31-88EA-F2B5BAF0B72F.jpeg.2895d5997ad99be172a36e6446d67bec.jpeg

E30AC1D4-634D-4FC9-BFFB-1E646173F800.jpeg.f62dac891862851dcbb1722f715c413b.jpeg

As an experiment, I had one soda blasted. Even blasting with baking soda left the flats that are supposed to be polished so blasted that it's going to need a LOT of polishing to bring them back. If you want the wheels to look original, I would not blast -- with anything. Use stripper to remove the remains of the old clearcoat, polish the flats and rim, then apply new clearcoat.

On 2/11/2019 at 2:23 PM, NEO auto said:

I’ve been sanding with 180 & 220 grit sandpaper. It’s taking FOREVER.

After polish, here is what a section looked like. 

I’m happy how it looks, but it’s taking so long to sand.

ED285007-42BE-4B67-B702-869FA4B2334A.jpeg.b80bca391c2cd1983710f8f86cf53d22.jpeg

Looks good. Obviously, I need to get busy.

Make a turntable using an old bearing unit and axle shaft. 

Media blast.

Wash.

Cut spokes and rim with coarse Roloc to remove damage.

Wash. 

Paint relief areas between spokes your color of choice. 

Begin polishing spokes and rim with fine to polishing Roloc, this will also remove over spray from paint, take care because you are also creating a sharp paint line. 

Wash. 

Spray clear coat. 

SE333K_ProductImage_PrimaryImage_400.jpg

Make a turntable using an old bearing unit and axle shaft. 

Media blast.
Wash.
Cut spokes and rim with coarse Roloc to remove damage.
Wash. 
Paint relief areas between spokes your color of choice. 
Begin polishing spokes and rim with fine to polishing Roloc, this will also remove over spray from paint, take care because you are also creating a sharp paint line. 
Wash. 
Spray clear coat. 

SE333K_ProductImage_PrimaryImage_400.jpg

I'm an idiot. I didnt even think about rolocs. I love those things. Good idea on the turntable.

Sent from my LG-H871 using Tapatalk

IMG_2277.JPG.70077afd499b572d5f965b8d9e5170ac.JPGIMG_2278.JPG.c5ff026423cc973f84dcd8c5b295fb59.JPG

I've had these turbines for over 10 years and always wanted them black. It was only that I know a guy that did me a solid and sandblasted and powder coated them black for me. I'll be wrapping them with 31's and they look way better then anything I could have ever done.  

I went the easy route.  

What is a fair price for powder coating?  Local place wants $75 per wheel for one color.  Owner says to mask the non-polished areas and do a different color is to labor intensive and triples the price with the intent that no one will ask him to do it.

I have two sets of these and want to run them on my MJ and XJ.  But they are pretty rough looking.  Anymore pics of powdercoated wheels?  Prefer a silver for these type of wheels, black is not my cup of tea.

What is a fair price for powder coating?  Local place wants $75 per wheel for one color.  Owner says to mask the non-polished areas and do a different color is to labor intensive and triples the price with the intent that no one will ask him to do it.

I have two sets of these and want to run them on my MJ and XJ.  But they are pretty rough looking.  Anymore pics of powdercoated wheels?  Prefer a silver for these type of wheels, black is not my cup of tea.
Is $75 blasted, washed and powdered?

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

8 minutes ago, schardein said:

Good to know.  I'm getting a Borla header for a 4.0 and 4 CJ steel wheels done now.  Depending on how they turn out, I may do the Turbines.

I didn't comment though I wanted to.............

$300 for 4 wheels start to finish is dirt cheap.