I wasn't even sitting down when I read it

Eagle

But I should have been. I just discovered that I'm some kind of flippin' war hero or something.

Back story: Some time back, I read about somebody having been awarded an Army Good Conduct medal, and after a bit of research I realized that I probably should have received a GCM ... but I didn't. So I wrote to some address I found on-line, and got a reply telling me to submit my inquiry to some other office. So I submitted my inquiry there, and then forgot about it. It felt like a classic bait-and-switch, with each office telling me to talk to someone else. I thought that was going to be the end of it.

Fast forward to this evening. I retrieved the mail from the mailbox, and found a thick envelope from the U.S. Army Human Resources Command, Awards and Decorations Branch. It includes a bunch of papers, a DD Form 215 (which corrects my DD 214), and a cover letter. According to the Army, I should have received (and now will receive) the following:

• Army Commendation Medal
  • Army Good Conduct Medal
  • Vietnam Service Medal with two Bronze service Stars
  • Meritorious Unit Commendation
  • Sharpshooter Badge with Rifle and Carbine Bars
  • Republic of Vietnam Gallantry Cross Unit Citation with Palm Device
  • Republic of Vietnam Civil Actions Honor Medal Unit Citation, First Class

All I was expecting was confirmation that I earned a Good Conduct Medal. Instead, I found that I'm due five medals I knew nothing about. (I already received the Army Commendation Medal, but if they want to send me another one, I won't refuse.) It's a good thing I don't have a Class A uniform any more. I'd have to start working out to wear all that salad on my jacket.

Congratulations. 

As an aside- 

I've studied wars over the last few years, I've long since learned how to study and how to weed out the propaganda and revisionism. I've also learned what to look for and how to look for it. 

Viet Nam was not on my radar until I revisited the assassination of JFK. I've spent the last several weeks looking into the US involvement, I can tell you that very few people know the history of VN, how we got there, why we got there. 

The answers will surprise you. 

4 hours ago, shelbyluvv said:

Congrats Eagle! Now you need to submit for a revised DD215 with your correct awards on it. I just received a Navy Accommodation Medal award after I retired and have to have it added also. I wish they would have given it to me before I signed my DD214.

The packet included a DD-215. I don't even have to request it.

Feels weird being awarded a bunch of medals I never even heard of. Who'd a thunk it?