First aid kit recommendations

cody4359

I have a cheap kit that I keep at home but after an outing in the quad 2 weeks ago I guess I should invest in a good kit for all my vehicles. Looking for a real kit yet something compact, not just bandaids and asprin. Flipped my quad and it landed on my leg. Used my belt as a crummy tourniquet til I got back to the truck. Ended up with 14 stich lol so, does anybody have some insight on what makes a good kit? 4d6bec827c78b7f8fe30ab69171f6639.jpg

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

I've always preferred to make my own since I can't stand cheap bandaids (the things I use the most in any kit), regular gloves don't ever fit, and I react to some meds.    

found a $20 general kit on ebay that seems to have an ok list and comes in a waterproof case.  could use more trauma ingredients though. 

WHAT'S INSIDE THE DEFTGET FIRST AID KIT?
It comes with 35 good quality items, exactly what you need for pretty much any minor emergency.
● 1pc Waterproof leather First Aid box.
● 1pc Disposable poncho.
● 2pc Disposable PVC Gloves.
● 1pc Sewing Kit.
● 1pc Compass
● 1pc Multifunctional Flashlight Pliers (Multifunction Flashlight Pliers includes six daily home furnishing repair tools.(The battery of flashlight is included.)).
● 1pc Flashlight :9cm (The AA battery of flashlight is not included.)
● 10pc Circular Band-aid.
● 20pc Standard adhesive bandage.
● 1pc Emergency Blanket 130x210cm
● 10pc Alcohol Prep Pads.
● 5pc Alcohol prep pads.
● 80pc Cotton swabs.
● 2pc Elastic bandage.
● 2pc Non-woven adhesive tape
● 1pc pill box.
● 2pc Sterile gauze pads. 5*5cm
● 2pc Sterile gauze pads. 7.5*7.5cm
● 1pc Nonwoven Triangular Bandage.
● 1pc Stainless Steel Tweezers
● 1pc Stainless Steel Scissors
● 2pc Compressed Towel
● 10pc Safety pins
● 1pc Whistle
● 1pc first aid Instruction booklet

https://www.ebay.com/itm/First-Aid-Kit-Home-Survival-Tools-Box-Emergency-Bag-Waterproof-For-Medic-100-Pcs/253932460670?epid=17016561465&hash=item3b1f8dda7e:g:SNsAAOSwQF1bwk4e:rk:2:pf:0

re-edit:  here's a clotting sponge to add in: 

https://www.ebay.com/itm/QuikClot-1st-Response-Advanced-Clotting-Sponge-Free-Shipping/153201836071?hash=item23ab8a8027:g:WF8AAOSwYNlbsjCI:rk:1:pf:0&LH_BIN=1

I would also add in a couple tiny bottles of super glue (fast drying, aka NOT the gel type) because they are fantastic at gluing sharp edge cuts back together. :L: 

and personally I like to add in a shot of JD.  (not to be taken if you are already bleeding profusely!) 

2 hours ago, Pete M said:

I've always preferred to make my own … 

I agree.   Apart from using some low end items, one of the problems with some of the store bought kits is that once you take most or everything out of the container you'll have a hard time getting it all back in.   Also, there's little or no room to add to the kit.   I make my own which generally include a lot of the above items.  I keep a fanny pack latched to the driver's seat of my LJ and transfer it to another vehicle depending on where I'm going and what I'm doing.   I have a similar kit for camping that I keep inside a small plastic ammo box.   I like these because they're light and when you flip open the lid it's easy to rummage around inside.

btw - Cody … I hope you're OK and had some JD as Pete suggested!

First Aid Kit.jpg

Thanks, I'm all good. They gave me some good pain pills that I'm saving for later since Tylenol is good enough for this. Today i got the top layer of stiches removed and supposedly the nurse thinks they used some decomposing ones deeper down, even tho when i asked the doc if we could do stiches like that so i wouldnt come back he said no way. I Was going to pass on hunting season this year and take a shutdown job instead. This happened 2 days before i was suppose to go to work and understandably they said it was a liability issue when i sent my boss the pic saying I'll be a gimp for a few days. So no deer camp and no shutdown, but I've managed to fix a few things on the jeep.

I have a adventure medical kit, and grabbed a gauze pack from there and was less than thrilled by the miniature size compared to the package and how thin it was after I've been using what the hospital gave me. So, where does one buy quality gauze pads etc and how do I know if it's actually up to the task and not a novelty when buying online? I did use a few bandaids from my kit and they held up pretty good overnight.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

I'm also a "make your own kit" guy.

I'm about triage, not doing things right.  Quick clot, burn dressings, tourniquet, lots of bigger dressings, gauze, and tape.  It's all just stick yourself back together and go home stuff.

I haven't used a bandaid in 20 years, I'm not about to start now.

58 minutes ago, DirtyComanche said:

I'm also a "make your own kit" guy.

I'm about triage, not doing things right.  Quick clot, burn dressings, tourniquet, lots of bigger dressings, gauze, and tape.  It's all just stick yourself back together and go home stuff.

I haven't used a bandaid in 20 years, I'm not about to start now.

Israeli Battle dressing!!!

• 2 weeks later...

made a list of what's in my first aid kit.  anything I'm missing? 

clotting trauma bandage
sunburn lotion

burn bandage
poison ivy lotion
various pain killers
tweezers
butterfly closures

single-use quick-dry super glue
moleskin
xacto blade
lighter
various gauze pads
gauze wrap
tourniquet rubber band
gloves
2 x-acto blades
q tips
magnifying glass
ace wrap
medical scissors
cold compress
bandage tape
hot pads
4" bandage wrap
2" round pads
finger cots
various bandaids
sewing kit
clot powder

leatherman squirt ps4

shot o' jack

led flashlight

separate batteries

safety pins

8 hours ago, Pete M said:

made a list of what's in my first aid kit.  anything I'm missing? 

clotting trauma bandage
sunburn lotion

burn bandage
poison ivy lotion
various pain killers
tweezers
butterfly closures

single-use quick-dry super glue
moleskin
xacto blade
lighter
various gauze pads
gauze wrap
tourniquet rubber band
gloves
2 x-acto blades
q tips
magnifying glass
ace wrap
medical scissors
cold compress
bandage tape
hot pads
4" bandage wrap
2" round pads
finger cots
various bandaids
sewing kit
clot powder

leatherman squirt ps4

shot o' jack

led flashlight

separate batteries

safety pins

Sharpie marker and baby wipes?

I often go shooting out in the desert by myself. I suppose the thing I worry most about is an ND through my foot/leg when I'm miles out in the middle of nowhere.  To me a good tourniquet is most important, everything else is just comfort/convenience stuff.  I built two vehicle kits by bundling the three items below from Rescue Essentials and added extra consumables where necessary.  I keep one kit in a Pelican 1400 behind the bench in the Jeep at all times.

In truth, the only thing I've ever actually used in the last 3 years were the bandaids and antiseptic ointment -- which brings up another point -- if you can swing it ($$$), remember to buy extras to train with, izzy bandages and tourniquets come to mind in particular.  And don't forget to train your wife how to use them too. She just may be the one saving your bacon after you roll your truck/ flip your quad/ put a round through your leg. 

https://www.rescue-essentials.com/combat-application-tourniquet-c-a-t-tactical-black-gen-7/

https://www.rescue-essentials.com/hunter-safety-kit/

https://www.rescue-essentials.com/the-nick-fixer/

Hunter Safety Contents:
1   QuikClot EMS Hemostatic Gauze (3" x 48")
1   Israeli Emergency Pressure Dressing (4")
1   Compressed Gauze (4.5" x 4.1yds)
3   Gauze Sponge, Sterile (4" x 4")
1   Pair Nitrile Gloves (Black)

1   Petrolatum Gauze Dressing
1   Duct Tape (2" x 36")

1   Immediate Action Card
5   Wound Closure Strip

Nick Fixer Contents:
1   Ultra Lite 2.0 Silcoat Bag
10  Adhesive Bandages (1" x 3")
3   Plastic Oval Bandages (2" x 4")
2   Fingertip Adhesive Bandages
4   Gauze Pads, Sterile(2" x 2", 2 /pack)
3   Flexible Knuckle Bandages
5   Medium Butterfly Wound Closure Strips
1   Conforming Gauze, Non-sterile (2" x 5yds) 
1   Trauma Pad, Sterile (5" x 9")
2   Non-adherent Pads (2" x 3")
2   Moleskin Pads (2 " x 3")
1   Tape Roll (0.5" x 5yds)
1   Cohesive Wrap (1" X 5 yds) 
2   Triple Antibiotic Unit Doses
2   BurnX Burn Gel Foil Packs
1   Tincture of Benzoin Ampule
2   Iodine Prep Pads
3   BZK Antiseptic Wipes
1   Antimicrobial Hand Wipe
1   IvyX Cleanser Towelette
2   Sting Relief Pads
2   Acetaminophen (NSAID) - 325 mg Unit Doses (2 caplets /pack)
2   Calcium Carbonate (Antacid) Unit Doses (2 tablets per /pack)
2   Ibuprofen - 200 mg Tablets (2 per /pack)
2   Diamode Anti-Diarrheal
2   Safety Pins
1   Mini EMT Shears
1   Mini tweezers kit
2   Nitrile Gloves Large
1   Backcountry First Aid Book

i typically make my own, as a past SAR member and eagle scout i always tend to be over prepared. If you are looking for just a basic one to t hrow under the back seat https://mymedic.us/collections/first-aid-kits has a good selection, and remember First aid kits are eligible for purchase with your HSA card, if you have an HSA account. So essentially, they are free!

I enjoy being out in the wilderness with others or alone. Backpacking in remote areas. White water rafting.  Camping out on dog sledding trips at colder than 25 below zero. I don't go out alone below zero but down to zero is not difficult alone.  I have had an artery punctured and watched the view of my blood spewing out 10 inches or more,  literally pulsing to the beat of my heart.  I enjoy the large animals and fortunately have not been charged at by either a bear or a cat. Black bears  mostly avoid humans (but not always of course) and  I sure  enjoy running across them in the wild.  Grizz's are another matter altogether. Glacier Nat Park is awesome but has the largest grizz population in the lower 48.  I have been charged by a coyote or fox during a night hike alone in the Tetons. Have been unintentionally very close to moose only to realize it when I see it has its eyes trained on me.  Things can change quickly. I have stepped over a log only to slice the back of my leg.  Slamming in the rocks in level 5 white water is a price paid sometime in the name of fun.  The listed medical supplies above are extensive.  Depending on how likely you might be stranded in a remote area, I recommend more layered clothing than you think you might need. Water is heavy. Either have a filter or iodine tablets so you use water from a stream or pond. I have pumped water through a filter while watching tadpoles swim.  About 10 years ago while driving to a wilderness winter hike, I saw a man in his 20's come out of the mountainous woods.  I stopped and asked in he was ok. He was shaking violently and uncontrollably. Since he was still shaking, I knew he would be ok. He said he had been lost for 2 days in the mountains and was afraid to drink the water from streams.  Always, always drink rather than running the risk of being dehydrated.  It might take a year to get over giardia, but it has an incubation period of a couple of weeks. Chance are you will be home and safe by then.  Something I would add to the list are individually packaged baby wipes. It is impossible to keep your hands clean when out.  Alcohol is rough on the skin and impedes healing.  (People with piercings know not to use alcohol when keeping new piercing clean). Baby wipes are easier on the skin and antiseptic at the same time. Usually you see them in a container but look for the individually wrapped ones so they remain uncontaminated.  If you have not used the butterfly band aids listed above they are very good at holding a cut of 3/4  inch or more closed.  You can suture with a fishing hook if you have that skill set, but if not have a look at the butterfly band aids.  The ones with the narrow middle attached to the ends of rectangular wider sections. Practice by cutting a deep gash in the back of your leg or some other hard place to get too (kidding of course).  But do try putting a couple on the back of the leg when you are not in crisis mode trying to be dexterous.  If and when the time comes, you will be holding the wound closed with one hand and applying it with just one hand. Also know the importance of "breaking the bacterial field".  Simply scrub the area with your hands to disturb the bacterial growth.  Finally wrap duct tape around a piece of plastic to take with you if you become stranded. You can split a broken leg with it and a branch.  I have used it on my feet when hiking for a week in Kings Canyon and Mt Whitney in the Sierras.  Some put it on their toes when white water rafting.  A led headlamp, of course. 

What is the 2012 comment about a sweater vest about?

As stated before, widerness survival and emergency make shift medicine have long been an interest. Torniqets are very easy to misuse and its too easy to lose a leg because of misuse. Bleeding cleaneses a wound. With a major cut or accidential amputation, the femural artery will likely retract into the muscle and cut off the flow. A belt will do in a pinch. Cram your fingers in the wound and worry about infection later. Having said that, which you probably knew anyway, there is the case of being biten by your favorite poisonous snake when out in the back country. Depending on particulars at the time, one course of action is to apply a tourniquet. Never, ever leave it on for a long time. Loosen it intermitently. I recall my Dad in the 50's having a government issued snake bite kit. About tripple the thickness of your thumb. The case was two rubber cups. Inside was a blade to cut an X over the bite. The cups would be squezed and placed over the wound to suck the poison out. Now all that is gone. Not recommended because there is two much chance of hitting an artery. If no kit was on hand and you were not alone, someone else was to cut the X and suck the poison out. A funny from back in the days: If you sit on a snake, you find out who your real friends are.

And another oldie: Two guys are out. One has to take a whiz and is biten on his p.cker. The other guy hikes to town to find a doctor. He tells the doctor that the other man was biten by a poisonous snake. The doc tells him to go back and cut an X over the wound and suck the poison out. He goes back in the woods. The biten guy asks what the doctor said. The reply: The doctor said you are going to die.

• 2 weeks later...