Men who ponder.

Jeep Driver

Elsewhere, last week someone complained about MPG, as many do here. I made the statement that I'm becoming convinced that poor MPG issues are related to a poorly designed and more poorly maintained electrical system. I have reasons for my conclusion which are not germane to this post. The response that I got was what was expected and precisely why I posted my thoughts. 

Some time back I posted some information that I had found regarding the average temp of a torque converter reaching 350 degrees and beyond. MJ/XJ overheating is a well-known problem that anyone who has owned one has experienced at least once. Since there are far more AW4 equipped Jeeps, what I would like to know is if there is a relationship between overheating and the AW4?

Anyone with any common sense will know that introducing a fluid that is 350 degrees into a 200 degree container will raise the temp of the container, thus raising likelihood of overheating an already taxed cooling system. 

What does this have to do with anything? Jeep is riddled with inherent flaws, design and engineering flaws, just because AMC/JEEP/Chrysler designed something and placed a badge on the carcass of it does not make it worth defending. And for the 'not Renix' folks, Chrysler carried over many of AMC's flaws and cherished them for the next 12 years, nothing at all to boast about. 

Jeep people, instead of thinking their way through and out of a problem they keep trying to beat a square peg into a round hole. 

Here is something new and fresh, from a man who ponders. 

Pay attention to the dif oil temp, it might surprise you. 

These are the kind of people I learn from.

• 3 weeks later...

I watch the first episode.  Looked interesting, but he spent a lot of time setting up for the testing.

Tried watching the second episode.  After falling asleep while the guy continued to set up for testing, I lost interest.  

Someone let me know how it turns out.

1 hour ago, 87MJTIM said:

I watch the first episode.  Looked interesting, but he spent a lot of time setting up for the testing.

Tried watching the second episode.  After falling asleep while the guy continued to set up for testing, I lost interest.  

Someone let me know how it turns out.

How it turns out?  My guess - higher temperatures and less lubrication with aftermarket products.  May be even a Banks diff cover that works like stock and has BLING.

Surprised at the amount of aeration in this test. Would it make any difference to operate in a vacuum? All that air in the oil could be reducing its viscosity.
I am sure it is.

But why both testing in a vacuum? No real life application to that.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

11 hours ago, Longview said:

I am sure it is.

But why both testing in a vacuum? No real life application to that.

I just noticed the milkshake color of the oil and wondered what the effect would be of running the gears in a vacuum. While it doesn't make any practical sense, sometimes ideas can lead to other insights that have real achievable positive results. Maybe it's a rabbit hole though.

This testing will probably state the obvious at this point, that the manufacturers have researched the capacity/design and have it correct from the factory --- adding more doesn't necessarily give better results. But I guess we'll see.

• 2 weeks later...
I just noticed the milkshake color of the oil and wondered what the effect would be of running the gears in a vacuum. While it doesn't make any practical sense, sometimes ideas can lead to other insights that have real achievable positive results. Maybe it's a rabbit hole though.

This testing will probably state the obvious at this point, that the manufacturers have researched the capacity/design and have it correct from the factory --- adding more doesn't necessarily give better results. But I guess we'll see.

You have a point!

I think it's cool that a company like this is spending time and money to see if other company's are scamming consumers with diff cover equivalent of snake oil.

• 6 months later...
  • 7 months later...
14 hours ago, derf said:

Maybe good for the tow rig but useless for a rock crawler.

This was exactly my thoughts.  That said, that's the segment he's going after with it...those who tow as well as those who want the appearance of those who tow, more than the rock crawler.