barn doors on an XJ

Pete M

OD doors on a red body is never a good look. After all of that work, why wouldn't you paint the doors? I even see overspray on the doors like they wanted it to look like that. Other than that I think it's pretty neat.

And unlike GM until the late 90s, they even managed to hide the hinges! :peep:

The only upside I can really see is for tall people like myself who always, no matter how many times you've done it, manage to smack their head on the gate.  Every freakin time.. It's even worse when you fit under one XJs gate due to a lift, and then open a stock height one..  Anyway its kinda cool but more work than it's worth IMO. 

6 hours ago, Minuit said:

OD doors on a red body is never a good look. After all of that work, why wouldn't you paint the doors? I even see overspray on the doors like they wanted it to look like that. Other than that I think it's pretty neat.

It was painted later on - see Pete's link. I do like it. Very much. Looks like how the factory should have done it. Except with a better paint job... 

lwXmv7MSNU7gUmgGu1ZUH6oGfgwyWMc7ovx6yzN8

I think a fortune could be made selling a well-made well-fitting barn door bolt-on kit including interior trim to XJ owners. I'd buy it just for the uniqueness and to prevent splitting my gourd on the hatch...

That's pretty neat and I appreciate the work that was done but I've always enjoyed hanging out under my hatch ... especially when it's raining!   I can think of many times that I've done that while camping and/or at a race track.   I keep saying I'm going to custom build an awning of some type using the hatch as a base.   Lets just say it's on "the list".

15 hours ago, DirtyComanche said:

While I appreciate that would have been a lot of work...   W-w-w-w-why?

Why do some people lift their trucks? Why do some people slam their trucks? He had an idea and he had the skills to pull it off. More power to him.

7 hours ago, HOrnbrod said:

It was painted later on - see Pete's link. I do like it. Very much. Looks like how the factory should have done it. Except with a better paint job... 

lwXmv7MSNU7gUmgGu1ZUH6oGfgwyWMc7ovx6yzN8

I didn't see those pics :doh: It does look much better with matching paint.

A few things I see as an advantage: the first is you could or might be able to back up a bit further. The other is that you don't have the hatch hanging over head. That can make loading and unloading difficult. This past weekend I had to have a 4.0L block loaded in. It was on an over head hoist. Sort of had to lower then tilt and push it in. Chevy Suburban had both styles on them.

• 2 weeks later...

I like it ! Reminds me of my dads 1990 Scottsdale suburban with the barn doors , though with the xj I think I would have gone with the split back window / tailgate ! Best of both worlds .  Oddly enough though I hate the suburbans with the window / tailgate BS .