"Wendy"- 88 Jeep Comanche Build

• 3 weeks later...

I got all of the sensors, clutch line, and vacuum lines in today. Going to start working on it tomorrow. Hopefully it will be running tomorrow. Just waiting on the external slave to show up so it can be running as well

Exciting stuff

7 hours ago, Swampy said:

I got all of the sensors, clutch line, and vacuum lines in today. Going to start working on it tomorrow. Hopefully it will be running tomorrow. Just waiting on the external slave to show up so it can be running as well

Exciting stuff

Can’t wait to see tomorrows update !!! :comanche:

Unfortunately, the jeep isn't running yet. I have replaced 90% of the sensors. Just missing one because it was the wrong size. Right now the jeep is a hot mess. I am having trouble trying to get the bulkhead connector to mount to the back of the fuse block. Also I found a random cut wire that ran all the way back to the power distribution block by the battery. Need to pick up some wires to clean up some of the mess and going to spend tonight studying a wiring diagram. Rookie lessoned learned today... Not having enough detailed pictures for reassembly :brickwall:

ptLOJKC.jpg S1I9x4T.jpg

Current state of the jeep..... colorful spaghetti 

f4x80ve.jpg

• 3 months later...

Its been a while since the last update, hope everyone is doing well with the state of the country right now and corona virus. But I am not sure what to do with my MJ. I got everything wired up and I can't get it spark or start up. It cranks and cranks just no start. I am pretty sure the ecu is fried from the whole fire incident. I am thinking of scrapping this whole 2.5l and swapping in an LS v8. I wanted not swap anything in but it seems to be the easier route and I'd get more power, drive-ability and less headaches out of the 'ol mj. I priced out the whole swap and its about 5-6 thousand dollars. Seems reasonable for the performance you get. I will eventually swap out the front axle as well because d30+5.13 gears+LS don't seem like a good mix 

Its been a while since the last update, hope everyone is doing well with the state of the country right now and corona virus. But I am not sure what to do with my MJ. I got everything wired up and I can't get it spark or start up. It cranks and cranks just no start. I am pretty sure the ecu is fried from the whole fire incident. I am thinking of scrapping this whole 2.5l and swapping in an LS v8. I wanted not swap anything in but it seems to be the easier route and I'd get more power, drive-ability and less headaches out of the 'ol mj. I priced out the whole swap and its about 5-6 thousand dollars. Seems reasonable for the performance you get. I will eventually swap out the front axle as well because d30+5.13 gears+LS don't seem like a good mix 
I've never done a swap but if you decide to, I'll certainly follow and I know you'll put in the effort to make it work and be better than before.. let us know what you decide or find out about the 2.5

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

12 hours ago, rosco11 said:

I've never done a swap but if you decide to, I'll certainly follow and I know you'll put in the effort to make it work and be better than before.. let us know what you decide or find out about the 2.5

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

Yeah right now it seems like this is going to be the plan of action, I could try to find a 2.5 computer but I'm worried that i will track down a computer hook everything up and it still won't work and I will just be chasing issues. So I decided to start with a clean slate and drop in a different power plant. I appreciate the kind words, right now searching for a job to start saving my pennies.

22 minutes ago, Swampy said:

Yeah right now it seems like this is going to be the plan of action, I could try to find a 2.5 computer but I'm worried that i will track down a computer hook everything up and it still won't work and I will just be chasing issues. So I decided to start with a clean slate and drop in a different power plant. I appreciate the kind words, right now searching for a job to start saving my pennies.

There’s a harness and Ecu for a 2.5 for sale in the classifieds for 100$ :brows:

1 hour ago, Fernando87mj said:

There’s a harness and Ecu for a 2.5 for sale in the classifieds for 100$ :brows:

Dang I will keep this in mind. I swapped in a new harness, I'm guessing my computer is fried.

• 3 months later...

Welcome back to the fun show of figuring this out piece by piece. So recap to where we last left off: It was determined that the current ecu might be fried on the comanche when the fire happened. 

Update to where we are currently:

I got a known good ecu from a running truck from a member here on the forums. I plugged it into my truck and we are back to square one. The started clicked and the jeep did nothing. I know the fuel pump gets power when I ground it, and when I tried to turn on the tail lights to check that, they didn't turn on either. 

Which leads me to believe it wasn't the ecu but fuses, relays and or wiring. This week I will be checking all the fuses and relays and the starter relay.

I am open to suggestions and any help would be appreciated.

Pics of the new parts

3dJqc97.jpg  KsxUcZF.jpg

I replaced all the relays, fuses and checked all the grounds. the fuel pumped primed when I went to start it the first time, the started clicked and that was it. The jeep still isn't starting or cranking over. I think it might be the started as I tried to jump the started with no luck. Tomorrow will be checking the starter, I have 2 so hopefully one works

So I have no idea what is happening with my comanche. Spent today wrenching on it to no avail. The comanche is cranking, fuel pump is priming, the cps is working, ignition coil is sending power to the distributor, but still no sparky sparky boom boom :brickwall:   I thought maybe the timing was off but the timing is fixed and the plugs are in the right order according to the firing order stamped on the intake manifold. (1342)

I don't know what it could be. Thoroughly out of ideas. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

But is the injector pulsing? Thats the real question. It sounds like everything is in order except fuel going down the intake. Just helped SoCalManche with his 86 with a no fire condition and spent 25 pages rooting out the ECU as the problem. 

Can you poor fuel down the TB and get the engine to run?

4 minutes ago, eaglescout526 said:

But is the injector pulsing? Thats the real question. It sounds like everything is in order except fuel going down the intake. Just helped SoCalManche with his 86 with a no fire condition and spent 25 pages rooting out the ECU as the problem. 

I will check that tomorrow. While cranking it should be spraying into the manifold?