"Wendy"- 88 Jeep Comanche Build

This is the week my hunk of junk should be all the same color! Tomorrow to be more specific

Earlier this week I pulled the bed off with the help of a buddy, surprised how good of a condition my fuel tank, frame rails and underside of the bed are. 

My rear frame rails were extremely dirty I am in the process of cleaning them, just don't know if I should coat them or just leave them as is for now

XiZTB9Ql.jpg

with just 2 people the bed is very easy to move around.

xfgGOrYl.jpg

Had to get an extra trap to "extend" my carport as part of the paint prep because the monstaliner can't be painted on hot metal that has been sitting in direct sunlight.

piUofFHl.jpg

It Sure looks funny but it gets the job done :rotfl2: I only need it to work for a few hours tomorrow. Jeep definitely looks a bit odd with no bed

TZy19a6l.jpg

The one thing I don't like about painting so far is all the prep work involved, well mostly because I want it to look good

FFismJil.jpg  6KUh3U9l.jpg

This was some duplicolor bed armour my friend had laying around (not the best but a free gallon) I started the inside of the bed and the tailgate. I was painting with a brush and it was a bit tricky to get the texture I was looking for but its as good as its going to get. I am probably going to do some touch ups tomorrow as I paint the exterior of the truck

lOtsEZOl.jpg

Nervous and excited to get this painting process started and finished.  I have some left over of the duplicolor so I don't know if I should use that for the frame rails or paint the rear bumper with it

Today was a long, somewhat stressful but productive day. 

Finished taping everything off and removing what trim pieces I could like mirrors

QQEMaP5l.jpg

I waited for the girlfriend, we began mixing paint and going at it

The color is predator green from Monstaliner

0vmDAQEl.jpg

It came out awesome for my first attempt ever trying a product like this or painting a whole vehicle for that matter

ABp8uddl.jpg  (this is only the first coat before we applied the second coat)

I primarily used a roller and a brush and it seemed to be all we needed to get the job done. I tried my best to do a good job, there are some parts that could use some more paint, or my taping could have been better but all in all it came out good for doing it in a backyard and minimal vegetation and bug landing on wet paint. If I had to do it over again, I would do some more disassembly and better taping skills. Its experience and you can learn from it. 

Here is a shot of the passenger door done, 2 coats of monstaliner. I'll get more pictures when I put it all back together

ZbCof6Xl.jpg

On 5/10/2018 at 1:17 AM, Swampy said:

My rear frame rails were extremely dirty I am in the process of cleaning them, just don't know if I should coat them or just leave them as is for not

Definitely clean / paint any hard to reach part when you make it easier to get to. I still regret not cleaning and undercoating the trans hump when I had my trans out...

Nice progress on the paint! It'll probably be next year before I do mine, but I'm definitely not looking forward to taking the whole exterior apart to do it right... I thought about taking it to a paint shop, but the price tag of a pro job just isn't worth it to me on a truck that mostly is used to haul garbage to the dump and pickup builder supplies. 

2 hours ago, Skorpyo said:

Definitely clean / paint any hard to reach part when you make it easier to get to. I still regret not cleaning and undercoating the trans hump when I had my trans out...

Nice progress on the paint! It'll probably be next year before I do mine, but I'm definitely not looking forward to taking the whole exterior apart to do it right... I thought about taking it to a paint shop, but the price tag of a pro job just isn't worth it to me on a truck that mostly is used to haul garbage to the dump and pickup builder supplies. 

probably going to pick up a bottle it 2 of under coating just to give them something fresh, The are in good condition just thinking of taking advantage of the fact that the bed is off.

I had the same reasoning when choosing to go with the monstaliner, I didn't want to get a nice paint job and pay for it when it is going to get scratched and ruined when the truck sees some trails. Most paint shops told me $600 if I did all the body work myself. Less than $400 I was able to buy the mostaliner, do the body work and have it all painted. I should have removed the door handles but I didnt know how to do that

Almost 10 months to date and phase one of this build is virtually complete. It brings a tear to my eye seeing how far I have come, and how much I have learned.

I still have a bit to do like fender flares, windshield trim, speedo, windshield wipers, stickers, gaskets/seals, steering/alignment etc but all the major stuff is checked off. I just got it back together today fully painted. It could look better but from 10ft away it looks amazing :rotfl2:

I got my tail lights mounted, painted my rear bumper, and did the egr delete.

8taLS8gl.jpg  Looks amazing from this distance

O4i6JVXl.jpg soNQdLel.jpg

1rPpR8Ql.jpg

EGR DELETE: the only thing I don't know is what to do with the vaccum line that went to that valve on the intake

DEc7GLyl.jpg CPyx89ll.jpg

XnPopudl.jpg   The lose plugs I don't know where they go, any help is appreciated

Refinishing the front emblem 

9nT8xq8l.jpg f56oiYCl.jpg viZY35pl.jpg

2 hours ago, 88whitemanche said:

1-plug looks like the o2 sensor plug and the 4 prong one is for an automatic transmission if you had one...

but all older model Jeep harnesses had them all equipped the same to save time and money at the factory 

The o2 sensor is hooked up in that picture, I guess they are just random plugs

5 hours ago, Submariner said:

So why did you remove the EGR valve?

Mostly because I swapped the exhaust manifold and I had to plug the bottom of the manifold and there wasnt really any use for the valve in my opinion. 

• 3 weeks later...

For the most part the comanche is done for now! I love the way it came out. Still have plenty of things to do like gears, lockers, fender flares, bigger tires etc but main fundamental 

DpIjG81.jpg

Also got a tool box from Walt, it could use a coat of paint but I love it

jFXHD01.jpg

And when I look at the before and after pictures I am surprisingly amazed

nXc9oSo.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Consider it an impulse buy, 4- 36x12.5x15 tsl swampers for $100. I couldnt pass on the deal. Yesterday I mounted them all on 15x8 american racing wheels and I couldnt be happier with the look. Yes I know, I am probably going to have to trim fenders, definitely need longer bump stops (Front and rear), and I need to save for gears and lockers.

B9XNmK4l.jpg   Er92v68l.jpg 

XjqsLZk.jpg

1OQXquJ.jpg

As I keep saying still have lots to do, but this is going to be it for a while, after next week it is getting parked till roughly December time :sad: . None the less I am still amazed by what I was able to do especially under a year from when I first got the jeep. I couldn't have done it without the help of this forum. 

These are some pictures from the first and last trip out for a while, this was right by my house because I had to take it out at least once before I left to university. 

What Happened on the trip:

For being under geared and under powered it did well on the trails, it struggled in the softer thicker mud mud because 4banger+ 3.55 gears+ 36" tires+ open diffs= going no where. :peep:

As far as carnage goes, it started smoking because I am leaking oil from the distributor gasket and this plate on the side of the block, lost my exhaust tip, and the passenger side adjustable upper control arm came apart. So those are things added to the list of things to do/fix.

But this pretty much wraps up phase 1 of the build, phase 2 is going to be gears, lockers, roll cage (hopefully), power steering, fixing the oil leaks, fix gauges, interior upgrades/missing pieces, radio/speakers, front bumper, winch, battery box, snorkel etc.

JQ1jjSFl.jpg

gUf7BJul.jpg

In21yNcl.jpg

Thank you guys again for all the help 

• 3 months later...

Not much of an update but got some parts in, still have a bunch of parts to order (hopefully by December)

VWSXbUhl.jpg

Got my gears

vWew4GPl.jpg

new Yukon carrier 

b0tVU6kl.jpg 

And new motor mounts, distributor gasket and new sensors

1tCIl39l.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/15/2018 at 8:28 PM, Swampy said:

As I keep saying still have lots to do, but this is going to be it for a while, after next week it is getting parked till roughly December time :sad: . None the less I am still amazed by what I was able to do especially under a year from when I first got the jeep. I couldn't have done it without the help of this forum. 

These are some pictures from the first and last trip out for a while, this was right by my house because I had to take it out at least once before I left to university. 

What Happened on the trip:

For being under geared and under powered it did well on the trails, it struggled in the softer thicker mud mud because 4banger+ 3.55 gears+ 36" tires+ open diffs= going no where. :peep:

As far as carnage goes, it started smoking because I am leaking oil from the distributor gasket and this plate on the side of the block, lost my exhaust tip, and the passenger side adjustable upper control arm came apart. So those are things added to the list of things to do/fix.

But this pretty much wraps up phase 1 of the build, phase 2 is going to be gears, lockers, roll cage (hopefully), power steering, fixing the oil leaks, fix gauges, interior upgrades/missing pieces, radio/speakers, front bumper, winch, battery box, snorkel etc.

JQ1jjSFl.jpg

gUf7BJul.jpg

In21yNcl.jpg

Thank you guys again for all the help 

Swampy.. just a fantastic build and your positive attitude throughout is awesome!  Working on vehicles can be frustrating to say the least but you tackled everything that came your way and have put together a very solid MJ!  and It'll probably get better along the way!  Nice Work!

12 hours ago, rosco11 said:

Swampy.. just a fantastic build and your positive attitude throughout is awesome!  Working on vehicles can be frustrating to say the least but you tackled everything that came your way and have put together a very solid MJ!  and It'll probably get better along the way!  Nice Work!

Thank you I try my best. I have some goodies coming in the next couple of months. Stay posted

• 4 weeks later...

Hey guys, I was able to come home for thanksgiving break from school and was able to work on the manche some. Here is a quick video of what I was able to do. I got rough country control arm drop brackets and I installed some new motor mounts. I need to replace the distributor gasket as well because that is the last place I can see my jeep is leaking from but when I went to do it, I wasn't able to pull the distributor all the way out? Any tricks for this?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I have teased and Now its time for updates. Came home from school, got a bunch of boxes

tAgn8Ho.jpg

and I started diving into the jeep

got my door panels painted (going to see how well it holds up)

6MaGVGj.jpg Ehs3JqH.jpg

Got my vent windows and beltline molding/trim installed. Also painted the rain guard visor, other trims around the door and the door jambs black 

QE4KaI2.jpg hopnnpc.jpg

The finished product of the door panels painted and pieced back together (Now I have 2 different shades of grey :brickwall:)

Vps8JjV.jpg