"Wendy"- 88 Jeep Comanche Build

Went out to Katemcy Rocks Offroad Park in Mason, TX. It was the first stop of the Great American Crawl this year. I had a blast, had some minor damages to the jeep. Will also be considering selling/trading my taillights as I am too scared to mess them up in the rocks. I will have a youtube video up soon.

Two things I learned from this wheeling trip

1- I need more driver mod :driving:

2- Jeep needs some more work to be perfect

GOPR3754.JPG.6a6d976cc57da5f81ce2f3d94c814a81.JPG

GOPR3742.JPG

GOPR3726.JPG

Also saw one of my favorite internet jeeps in person. LS swap RHD postal mail jeep owned by @timmymctimface on instagram. He was a great guy to wheel with and helped me get the parts I needed to fix my front axle yoke

GOPR3739.JPG.e89338fbdd80474c435b24ce200d0666.JPG

On 3/18/2022 at 6:37 AM, 89eliminator said:

you aired down at all?

Despite how it looks in the pics all tires are at about 11-12 psi. could have gone lower but was worried about blowing a bead.

• 8 months later...
  • 6 months later...

I keep meaning to update this thread and I always forget. Better late than never. So to pickup where we left off, after my trip to K2 I have done a few things to the jeep.

She got a custom rear bumper and tail light housings. Tail light housings are from Ares Fab and I have them  wired as brake lights and turn signals

Db4eu4m.jpg

After I got those situated I pretty much just drove the jeep for a while but I was saving to something important. A np231 doubler kit. I bought this second hand but it allows you to bolt two transfer cases together to get a double low range. It is basically a poor mans Atlas 4spd without the option to do front digs.

I was very excited for this because it took my final crawl ratio from like 55:1 to about 145:1 and with a manual this was a blessing.

2oFRwBS.jpg

YxfWB0y.jpg

The hardest part is building a support to support the tcase as it hangs so far back now. and front drive shaft clearance was a headache as well

In regards to the np231 doubler. I had to ditch my cavfab alpha 3 link crossmember because it presented to many clearance issues with front driveshaft. I opted for the Dirtbound DIY kit but that still needed modification. Ideally id have built a custom crossmember but alas I did not. 

crossmember before mods

gKZDLZ9.jpg

After:

cxhMZ8a.jpg

jUnzy5h.jpg

boxed the crossmember back in 

v6Mr4tI.jpg

Ultimately my driveshaft still contacts the crossmember at full driver side droop. I went the cheaper route at the moment and instead of fabbing something else I am running a shorter limit strap on the drive side to limit down travel on that side to hopefully keep the driveshaft out of the crossmember.

Also had to build a support for my rear tcase. Since I used the advanced adapters sye kit I was able to use an atlas rear support and build off of that. I know my fabrication isn't the best but it is holding up. eventually I would like to redo it.

UzTjjgR.jpg

KhOyuEZ.jpg

The center section of tube is removable to make dropping the tcase fairly easy. I do need to build a removable skid plate as well. I havent smacked the tcase on any rocks but then again I havent really pushed the mj on some more difficult trails. 

After getting the tcase situated I had to figure out my caster angles. The stock cavfab length upper link was too short and would not allow me to adjust caster to 7* so i had to cut and reweld it.

lsLhBPx.jpg n5i8ygf.jpg

I did also weld up some bump stop extensions on my leaf spring plates

WpXYYIP.jpg

xYKoFNd.jpg

Which reminds me I have to extend my front bump stops a bit as well.

This is my current shifter setup inside the mj. JB fab cable shifters for the doubler and a B&M short shifter for the ax15. I did have to modify the center console but was able to maintain a factory-ish type look.

MTqWWof.jpg

Another look. I know my steering is not centered :doh:

Lkf90HJ.jpg

This is just having finished the major modifications and t=moving under its own power. If you noticed I did also add some 4" amber led pods and man are they bright.

mMiPAX6.jpg

Took it too a car show and while everyone liked looking I didn't win any awards

5pWl1fy.jpg

I did add a spare tire carrier to the bed of the MJ. I didn't want a slanted prerunner style so i opted for this. Mounts directly to the bed with a welded nut on a plate that the handle threads into. it holds the 40" tire very securely in place. There's still enough room in front of the spare for a cooler, gas can, parts, camping gear etc. That was my goal was to still have useable bed space. 

If you notice the tailgate is gone from the truck but I have it stowed away in my garage incase.

Nm4DZeU.jpg

• 8 months later...

So the last time i went wheeling I started having issues with my tcase. the rear case of the doubler setup was not shifting properly. I lost 4lo and the transfer case wouldnt hold 4hi or 2hi and would pop out of the range slection and sit between gears.

I pulled the case from the jeep and it was still behaving the same way. So I started to pull the case apart. What I found was the shift selector wasnt seated all the way like it needed to be. 

fePzmtP.jpeg

Now that I had that figured out it is time to replace the internals to beef them up. I ordered a 6 pinion planetary gear, the 1-1/4" wide chain upgrade and physically bigger gears to work in the tcase.

BupbDbS.jpeg7Kzd51h.png

here's some comparison pics

stock chain vs wide chain

Tcase

new bigger gear set (stock on the bottom, newer ones on the top)

Tcase

I believe the new components came from a chevy or dodge 231 case so the new internals should be able to handle the doubler and the power output from the tired 4.0 thats in the mj currently. Definitely some worth while strength upgrades. And if I plan to do an engine swap the tcase should hold up.