Motor mounts

If you can fabricate you can make your own very inexpensively.

I'm in my poly mounts for around $10 and they are rebuildable.

You got a link or a how to build them? Wouldn't mind building my own but do not have a clue on how to do it.

You can buy just the bushings and find some tube that fits the bushings or you can buy a kit with the complete bushing set up,then get a piece of box tube. Copy the bolt locations then notch the box so you can set the tube into it and weld them together.

Find some pics on google of some mounts and you will have a pretty good idea how to make some.

I usually buy bushings here. http://www.barnes4wd.com/Poly-Bushings-and-Bushing-Kits_c_24.html

I have Brown Dog ultra flex rubber in my TJ and I have regretted the purchase ever since. No amount of adjustments can stop the vibes at idle. I can only imagine how it would feel in the unibody MJ. On the other hand, I doubt I'll ever wear them out.

I have Brown Dog ultra flex rubber in my TJ and I have regretted the purchase ever since. No amount of adjustments can stop the vibes at idle. I can only imagine how it would feel in the unibody MJ. On the other hand, I doubt I'll ever wear them out.

^^  This. Vibratus maximus. I took them off my MJ two weeks later and replaced them with NOS Mopar originals. Never again..........

^^  This. Vibratus maximus. I took them off my MJ two weeks later and replaced them with NOS Mopar originals. Never again..........

I have the Iron Man 4x4 ones, which are basically the same as the brown dog mounts. I noticed increased vibration but nothing that bad....

^^ This. Vibratus maximus. I took them off my MJ two weeks later and replaced them with NOS Mopar originals. Never again..........

I had the poly ones and it took me a week to take them out...

Vibrations were TERRIBLE at idle...

^^ This. Vibratus maximus. I took them off my MJ two weeks later and replaced them with NOS Mopar originals. Never again..........
I had the poly ones and it took me a week to take them out...

Vibrations were TERRIBLE at idle...

I was told to let the rubber version 'break in'. Drove the Jeep 13 hours to and from CO and spent a week wheeling. Absolutely no change in the vibes.

This is what I struggled with during my research. Some say the vibes are fine and others absolutely hate them. It's a matter of personal opinion and expectations.

If you loosen the motor mount bolts just a touch the polys will vibrate much less.

That's reassuring. From their website:  "XJs and MJs (all engines): Rubber is better." Better than their poly mounts I guess they mean. Personally, I don't want any vibration. These mounts are good for mainly off road vehicles only.

If you loosen the motor mount bolts just a touch the polys will vibrate much less.

I did that when I was advised by the owner of brown dog and I sent him pics because he wanted to verify if my engine brackets were bent or bushings damaged on both sides and the hard vibes didn't go away...at the time the Comanche was my only vehicle and I was doing over 350+ miles a week....alot of mixed highway and stop and go traffic...Stop and go were the worst times of the vibration...

Until I gave up and slapped in cheap $10 motor mounts and haven't looked back since...

Yeah, I also have poly motor mounts (Stinky Fab) and the rear is an Energy Suspension poly trans mount (for a GM).

It does vibrate more ... But not something I can't live with, my XJ is mainly a trail rig, but does see the road a fair bit. It's loud, vibrates (due to mounts, not imbalances) and has a few odd sounds due to what I've done to it. The price I pay for making it work, have no problem with it though.

Might be a little more demanding on the MJ, but as far as the Vibes go due to poly mounts .... I don't seem to mind what little there is. Better than a motor flopping around due to yet another failed new rubber mount (been there done that, never again).

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

I had poly motor mounts.  I wen't back to rubber.  Nothing against the poly mounts, but my truck is a tin can without the carpet and headliner, and extra NVH is the last thing I needed.  What I did was a compromise with the replacement rubber mounts and Window welded in the gaps between the top of the rubber and the metal bracket

BTW, if you do the motor mounts, do yourself a favor and replace all of the hardware for the mount brackets that bolt to the block with some new Grade 8 (or equivalent) if you can.  

I just installed the Brown Dog Rubbers in my MJ. Vibes at idle but the more I drive it, the less they become. I figured they need break in time. The instructions state to torque the thru bolts a certain way or the vibes will be worse.

Sent from my SM-J700P using Tapatalk

Bummer, I've always wanted a set of the browndog mounts  :cry:

That being said, I don't know what my threshold of "vibration annoyance" really is.  I've already got the less than ideal poly trans mount and stock rubber engine mounts combo and I survive...

Better than a motor flopping around due to yet another failed new rubber mount (been there done that, never again).

That's what happens when you buy the el-cheapo $10 rubber mounts. Factory mounts are still available and will last at least ten years minimum unless your rig is strictly offroad or you live on Mars. :yes: