Opinions From the CO Members

neohic

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Not good news, but slightly better than you starting and a week later saying...budget cuts.  Hang in there, stuff happens.  And, frankly, the economy is going up for most of us.  So more jobs than a few years back and more spending.  First stop when you get to the new location is the Temp agencies.  Many jobs go from Temp to Hire. It is a way for the employer to see your work before they make a commitment.

I've got a couple irons in the fire yet. On the return trip last week, we stopped at TNT Customs in Cheyenne, WY. Obviously this is a bit far away to really consider, but that's not to say that they don't have any local friends.  :peek:

• 2 weeks later...

Right? Oh, the tangled webs we weave...  :roll:I

It will work out fine. 

It bothered me just moving 90 miles south from Anaheim to San Diego.  That was in 1981.

Remember that lots of other people have move across an ocean and started new lives in another country.  My parents moved from Scotland to Southern California when I was 4.

January of last year, we relocated from Maryland to Texas. Most of what I owned was either sold (even at fire sale prices most did not sell and was junked or scrapped ).  Best thing I have done in years! Now I have no shop to work in (hopefully not a permanent condition), but I can comfortably live on my pension here. In MD I would be broke in 10 years or less.

Hope your relocation works out for you, mine sure has!

• 3 weeks later...

I'm here!... rather, I've been here! For the last two weeks I've been unpacking, organizing, putting things in storage that we just don't need right now, and STILL looking for a job. The search has been pretty good and I think that I've impressed a bunch of employers. Sadly, I've been picky with the shops I've been looking around at, but it is the wheeling season for a while out here. Everybody is out using their rigs instead of working on them so most shops in the area are a bit slow. Still not worried. Worst comes to worst, I'll stock shelves at the Home Depot or something in the mean time.

As for now, the wife and I have future plans for a tiny/small home. The apartment we found is a cozy 540 square feet. The size is perfect for us, I think. What the lack of space does for us is it forces us to keep things tidy and efficient.

14232644_1002502876515242_28205963716130

Her aunt and uncle have been awesome with us being out there and storing things. I built a shed to house my shop stuff for now...

13939332_996793170419546_237278046151554

... and the Eliminator, buggy, and Comansion are all out there too. The Ape is temporarily out there until plates go on. I've got my license, VINs have been verified, Colorado local insurance has been purchased, and hopefully this week my wife will get her birth certificate to she can get her license too to we can register all the vehicles.

13891814_978346248930905_289628287855276

All in all, it's been a super busy couple weeks but I feel as though the dust is starting to settle. I'll be happier once I get a job and can set some kind of routine.

Yessir. Already changed the location in my profile and everything!

... can I still keep the title of "Ben of the North", Don?  :laughin:

Perhaps "Ben of the Springs" would be more appropriate now. Has a nice ring to it, si?   :thumbsup:

"Ben of the North-ish"?

"Ben of the Not So North"?

"Ben of the North of SoCO"?

:D

Never really thought you were particularly north, myself... But Hornbrod can call you as he wishes.

Yessir. Already changed the location in my profile and everything!

... can I still keep the title of "Ben of the North", Don?  :laughin:

Perhaps "Ben of the Springs" would be more appropriate now. Has a nice ring to it, si?   :thumbsup:

Ben FROM the North? Ah hell... I'll just leave it for now.  :idea:

• 2 weeks later...

Well... 'bout time for an update, I suppose.

I got a job! I'll be working at D&C Extreme starting tomorrow... technically started today, I guess? I got a call at 1:15 asking if I'd be interested in working there. By 1:45 I was already bending and notching tube.

Still no wheeling yet. Vehicles are licensed and registered as of yesterday. First time driving my XJ in this altitude today. Fingers crossed the sensors will adjust to it's not so much of a slug. Poor thing... running on a few month old gas too. Looks pretty good with those fancy green plates though!

Been quite a while since I've heard anyone talk about D&C Extreme.  Damien is a good guy.  My yellow '93 XJ  was used to prototype his cage kits for the 2 doors way back in the day.  He was pretty instrumental in getting cages into quite a few 'Springs and Denver based NAXJA XJ's.  

• 5 months later...

Time for an update!

I'm still here in Colorado... and I think I'll stay for a while. We're in our apartment into August, but finding housing out here has turned out to be more difficult than expected. Just as soon as we found something that we liked it would sell. We happened to find one property that fit the bill just great! It's a bit of a project, but when am I ever happy with someone else's work anyhow?!  :D

Small? YES!!! That is a mighty 474 square feet! With each house that my wife and I have lived in there's always the question of, "why do we need so much space?" Granted, I definitely miss having my own shop, and I'll have it again once the house is done. The lot has room for it which is a rarity for where the house is located. Really what it lacks with interior space, it makes up for with charm and views. I'll have Pikes Peak staring right in the picture windows on the south side.

Closing is set for the end of April. Then it's on to another project!