Opinions From the CO Members

neohic

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Ugh... I think that felt more like work than it did a quick getaway.  :grrrr: We just got back home (or current home?) a couple hours ago and the wife and I are exhausted. Sure would've been nice to be able to relax a little more than we did, but I think we made the most of the time we had available. Here's how the last few days went down...

Tuesday: We both worked our usual hours. I got off at 4:30, got cleaned up, loaded up the car, and we were out of city limits by 5:30. Things started off fine until we hit about hour number two of our seven hours or driving. By the time we got to Sioux Falls, the rain was already getting overwhelming. 10:00 hit as did fatigue of being up since 4:30. Slightly before 12:30 FINALLY came and the Omaha exit was in sight. Checked in to the hotel... hit the pillow.

Wednesday: Wednesday started off as a carbon copy of of Tuesday night... pouring rain. Another eight or so hours of seat time was made very much easier immediately at the Colorado border. The clouds broke up, the sun came out, and velvet ropes appeared to have parted. Colorado was beautiful! It didn't take much to get a couple of "flat landers" excited about a faint gray line way out on the horizon... mountains! Denver traffic was busy, but was totally worth it for out destination. Jim was expecting us and I was hoping to have gotten down to Pueblo by 2:00. 4:00 rolled around just as we were making our way up his driveway. Visiting was had... met his wife Katie (she's amazing!)... dinner at a neat little mountain diner... and we had to get back on the road back for Denver. Another late night of checking in to a hotel.

Thursday/Friday: I made plans for stopping at the Commerce City location for the company I currently work for. They process drainage pipe there which isn't anything close to the bridge building that I do now... which was expected. I wasn't quite excited about what I saw, but I was kind of expecting that. I ran over to the 4 Wheel Parts in Westminster as they were expecting me, and met the whole gang there. Very cool store! We don't have anything close to that in MN! Unfortunately, they really didn't have anything to offer me at the moment or withing at least the next few months. Fortunately after doing some more looking around, we abandoned the idea of pursuing the Denver area. The store manager at the 4WP put in a good word for me at the Colorado Springs location... and that went over great!!! Sounds like I have a position waiting for me! We took most of Friday looking around the Springs at apartments. Found some nice places. We already heard back from the one place we really liked enough to consider for a temporary solution that they'll have something available when we want to get out there. Fingers crossed it's still available when we're ready to go.

Saturday: Troy and I made plans to meet up in the morning followed up with some lunch. Great guy! I always enjoy breaking bread with fellow CC members! It was another day of cold blowing snow, but I did get out to his storage place to see some of his inventory. Good parts... good trucks. We then ran back to his place to pick up his wife (she's also amazing!) for some lunch. Had a real nice time with the both of them. It's interesting seeing similarities between CC members and their other halves and this was no different. Definitely going to have to make more time for them once we get out there. After lunch... more snowy driving. Another-er late night getting into a hotel.

This trip was good, but I wish it could've been longer. It's an odd thought thinking that the next time we'll be out there is probably when we'll be moving there. Timing didn't work out in my wife's favor for any interviews, but the feelers are still out. Today was another long day of driving and by the time we got back to Alexandria we already had that feeling of just wanting to turn around and go back. The atmosphere of the town feels off... the land is flat again... and the cars are all rusty. I've got plenty of work to do before we go back and selling the house is the biggest hurdle. We did get excited along the way back when we got word that there was an offer on the table. Albeit an awful offer, but an offer none the less. Fuel for other interested parties to make offers of their own, I hope. Anyhow... this post doesn't have any pictures yet...

Bridge that came from my plant manufactured that everybody nerds out over in the middle of Denver:

13133163_927303007368563_391488370315395

Average scenery...

13094135_927302990701898_393297163610789

13151551_927303047368559_326448206046799

... Colorado... here I come?

Yeah, I remember passing under it in February when i also making a late night hotel check in. I thought, 'they sure spent a lot of money on that'. Good to see you getting your feet wet in Colorado. I can't wait to hear bout your first hand experiences with 4WP.

Hope we can link up the few times I get out that way this summer. And Jim, I really want to meet Jim!

Glad our schedules worked out to meet you and Robin while you were out here Ben!  

I agree that you'll likely find the 'Springs to be a good place to get settled in Colorado.  Denver is pricey and getting more hectic and busy every day....... I find myself wanting to move farther away from it.

Looking forward to getting together again when you get yourselves moved out here!

• 2 weeks later...

Rock on!  What are you doing a 4 wheel parts?  Not sure if you are into offroading but if you ever want to hit a trail let me know.

He's got a XJ he drives and wheels the snot out of.

Yessir! Current daily driver: http://comancheclub.com/topic/45776-the-pirate-baboon/

Unfortunately, it feels a little more tired with every turn of the key.  :( Can't imagine what it'll feel like at a higher altitude. Really wish I had time for an engine swap.

• 1 month later...

Things just got real, folks. House on the market for almost three months now, over 50 showings, and finally the right people came along with the right purchase agreement.

Still kind of in shock about it, but it looks like I get to stop just thinking about moving.

• 4 weeks later...

Seems only fitting that I updated this thread during the last trip to Colorado... I'm on the road again Austin and I took off last night with the buggy, XJ, and the Eliminator in tow. Yup, that's right... moving has officially started!