neohic

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 6 months later...

Well... I suppose it's time to $#!& or get off the pot, eh? This is happening THIS YEAR... period!

My wife and I are done spiffing up the house and are getting ready to put it on the market soon. She's done with school in May, and then after that we really don't have any reason to stick around this dying island of a town anymore. Plans are to be making a trip from April 27th through May 1st to do some recon. She's making a list of (temporary) apartments to look into while also putting out the feelers on potential jobs. Maybe even set up some interviews? It's kind of difficult to make any sort of for sure start dates as of now, but we really need to start kicking over rocks to see what's underneath. I'm currently wrapping up projects as far as I can in the mean time and I just applied for a welding instructor position at Lincoln Tech. in Denver.

Could this actually be the year the sun, stars, and moon align for us?  :crossfingers:

5405896751_35b196afeb_z.jpg

You're right, Don. No kids here and there never will be either. I've got six nieces and nephews though and my love them all! Best part about them is that they go home. :yes: Kids are great and someone needs to repopulate the world but they just aren't for me. As far as being young... :roll: ... we both turned 30 in January and February.

Pete, I already told the wifey that I want to live somewhere for longer than four years. The first house was four years and then we moved. This place is year number four as well. Time to pound in the tent stakes a little deeper.

30! Damn Ben, UB too old to move now. You and your lovely wife lives are nearly half over already.  :rotfl2: :rotfl2:

We had lived in at least six countries and a lot more residences by the time I was 30, and continued on until I retired in 04. The kids went to 6-10 different schools coming up in different countries and had major culture shock when we finally settled down in Bama. Wouldn't have done it any other way.  Each place was an adventure for all of us.

Rental housing is still hard to find around here. Prices to buy a home are up as well. My house increased $60,000 in value in one year and currently is valued $80,000 more then the too high price I paid 4 years ago. Doesn't get me anything but more taxes. Good luck to you. Let me know if you need any help or info. I live just 20 min north of Denver in a small small town.

Yes, home prices sky rocketed in the last two years. Homes that were $200K now are valued and are selling around $300-350K, with offers that are 5-10k above asking price. Too many people moving in at an alarming rate. 100k + people moved to colorado just this past year. I wish you luck.

So ... back to the original post. Are you guys still considering the Tiny House concept? As an architect, the concept fascinates me but, as a pack rat, I know it's not for me. But for two people who are certain there are no kids in the future it's a great way to get into affordable housing. All the more if you're handy and can build it yourself. A lot of tiny houses are built on flatbed trailers, but they don't have to be.

Definitely. We're more interested in a small house though. Not tiny, but not more than 500 square feet. My brother is an architect as well and he loves the idea too. He drew me a 22'x22' footprint house that we're hoping to make happen eventually. Small house... big shed/shop though.

Yes, home prices sky rocketed in the last two years. Homes that were $200K now are valued and are selling around $300-350K, with offers that are 5-10k above asking price. Too many people moving in at an alarming rate. 100k + people moved to colorado just this past year. I wish you luck.

Last hear.... Smokers moving in?

Went into work Friday morning to talk with my plant manager about some hypothetical future stuff. I go in this morning to find out that I have a job waiting for me in Commerce City.  :banana:

Here's some eye candy for you , Pikes Peak .

A friend of my almost to be extended family works at pikes peak and gave us the after hours tour that included some target practice and a venture to the top of the mountain . We drove until we hit a large patch of ice at about 13,000 feet right before the switchbacks , I was shaken up a bit and we turned around and went back down .

Been looking into vehicle inspections today... and getting a little concerned.  :( We have nothing to worry about in the cold rusty state of MNso I have no idea what I should be worried about if anything. Being that I have a job waiting for me in Commerce City, I'm sure we'll be living temporarily around the east Denver area. Once moved there, we'll have 30 days to get a CO driver's license, and then 90 days to register my vehicles. Right now, the vehicles that I'll have to deal with are...

1988 Jeep Comanche:

1972 VW Beetle:

1974 VW "kit car" ("dune buggy" is an evil word in the eyes of DMVs and insurance companies) but is titled as a 1974 VW Beetle:

1998 Jeep Cherokee:

2007 Ford Focus (not a great picture, but I'm pretty sure this list doesn't really need pictures anyhow):

From what I found on the CO DMV site:

The type of test you receive, and how often you get it, depends upon the type and model year of your vehicle.

• Passenger cars and light trucks:
    • Model year 1982 and newer: I/M 240 emissions test, performed every 2 years.
    • Model year 1981 and older: The two-speed idle test, performed annually.

The Eliminator, Cherokee, and Focus will need the I/M 240 test every two years which is...

The I/M 240 emissions inspection tests the carbon monoxide, hydrocarbons, and nitrogen being emitted from the vehicle over a period of 4 minutes.

• The inspector does a visual inspection of emissions equipment.
  • The vehicle is tested under simulated driving conditions using a dynamometer (similar to a treadmill) to allow the wheels to spin and a large fan to simulate wind while measuring emissions from the tailpipe.
  • A gas cap seal test is performed after the simulated driving test is complete.
  • You will be given a vehicle inspection report with details about how the vehicle performed and whether it passed or failed.

... and the Beetle and buggy will need the two-speed idle test every five years which is...

The two-speed idle emissions inspection tests the carbon monoxide and hydrocarbons being emitted from the vehicle.

• A probe in the tailpipe is used to measure emission pollutants.
  • The inspector lets the engine run at idle speeds for 30 seconds and readings are taken.
  • The engine is then sped up to 2500 RPM for 30 seconds and readings are taken.
  • The engine returns to idle speed for another 30 seconds and readings are taken.
  • You will be given a vehicle inspection report with details about how the vehicle performed and whether it passed or failed.

But then... this is interesting too...

There are very few vehicle exemptions to the emissions testing program within the inspection areas. Exempt vehicles include:

• Vehicles for the first 7 model years.
  • Hybrid and electric vehicles. (For more information about the benefits of eco-friendly driving, visit our section on green driving incentives.)
  • Motorcycles.
  • Vehicles registered as a:
    • Horseless carriage.
    • Street rod.
    • Kit car.

The exempt list at the bottom has that "kit car" term. Now, my buggy is still technically titled as a 1974 VW Beetle, so I'm not sure what it would be involved with changing that to "kit car" or if it would be worth it. I understand that every vehicle must get a VIN inspection, which my buggy does still have the original stamping in the chassis, but not the dash plaque as it does not posses the original dash (or body for that matter). In MN, it would be considered a frame swap that the vehicle drivetrain and suspension is still original to the VIN/title. Right now the car is just titled in my name too. Being that it's still a work in progress, and I purchased the donor vehicle before you had to have proof of insurance prior to transferring a title, it has no current plates.

On a side note, all my quoted information is found at the COLORADO DMV INSPECTION PAGE.

So, back to the topic at hand, I'm getting some butterflies over everything. My Eliminator does not have a catalytic converter, nor does my Cherokee. Neither had one when I purchased them and I've never put any thought into it. The Cherokee doesn't have any check engine lights on from it either. The Beetle has no emissions equipment as it never had any from the factory, and the buggy has nothing as well. Should I take the time to add anything to my vehicles? Anything really to worry about? Anything I'm not worrying about right now that I should be? On that note, I'm also probably going to be taking along my camper...

(yup... another picture that this post really doesn't need, but it was getting a little dry and people loves pictures, tight?)

... that has been kind of for sale but I haven't put a whole lot of effort into it. There is a for sale add for it, but all the pictures are dead links now because I used facebook. (See? I didn't even take the time to find the ad! How's that for effort?!) I have a MN title and registration for it already so I don't think I'll have an issue with registering it it CO based on this info...

OUT OF STATE – Moving to Colorado

1. If no lien - need title for vehicle.

2. If there is a lien - need current registration & lien holder name and address.

3. VIN inspection form - filled out by a Colorado law officer or licensed dealership.

4. Proof of insurance.

5. Secure and verifiable identification.

... and I found HERE. Unless there's something I should be worried about with that? It's currently titled as a 3000 pound homemade trailer (note: NOT a camper). It's a one time type deal that got me a piece of paper (title) and a sticker on the tongue (registration). Anyhow... thoughts from the group?

Good lord that's a lot of reading with no real direct or specific questions..........  :laughin:

From what I read, here's maybe some answers............ ?

-Focus, Cherokee, Comanche should all be fine at the Colorado Air Care test centers as long as all factory emissions equipment are in place and un-modified.  Catalytic converters, EGR, Evap Canister, gas filler restriction (opening and flap) intact.... etc.  Exhaust system needs to have no holes/rot/leaks.  So yeah, the Cherokee and Comanche will need cats installed and the Cherokee's O2 sensors will need to be in bungs and functional.

The Beetle will likely just need a tailpipe sniff test which can be done at independent test stations or at Colorado Air Care stations.

The VW buggy WILL NOT qualify as a kit car.  In Colorado, a kit car comes with paperwork you submit at the time the build is complete and roadworthy when you take the car to the State Inspections Office to get it's kit car vin plate.  Since the base of the buggy was a VW it will need to be registered as such.  Essentially, if it ever had a VIN prior to being built/modified, it will have to keep using that VIN.   It should only need the tail pipe sniff test.

The trailer will be a piece of cake as long as it has a trailer VIN assigned on the title and stamped on the tongue.  If not, simple paperwork can be done to get a Colorado trailer VIN assigned but I'm fairly certain that if MN didn't require a stamped or sticker plate VIN, Colorado will likely supply one at the time you register it.

Good lord that's a lot of reading with no real direct or specific questions..........  :laughin:

I suppose I was more so looking for someone to tell me "it's all going to be okay.  :idea:

-Focus, Cherokee, Comanche should all be fine at the Colorado Air Care test centers as long as all factory emissions equipment are in place and un-modified.  Catalytic converters, EGR, Evap Canister, gas filler restriction (opening and flap) intact.... etc.  Exhaust system needs to have no holes/rot/leaks.  So yeah, the Cherokee and Comanche will need cats installed and the Cherokee's O2 sensors will need to be in bungs and functional.

Focus, I'm not worried about. The Cherokee, as far as I know it's only missing the cat. Being that it's a '98 it should only have the one downstream of the O2 sensor. Everything else is in place... again, as far as I know. The Comanche... um... it's got everything there minus the cat and EGR. Never had a cat as long as I've had it and the EGR was actually just removed this last summer.

The Beetle will likely just need a tailpipe sniff test which can be done at independent test stations or at Colorado Air Care stations.

Excellent!

The VW buggy WILL NOT qualify as a kit car.  In Colorado, a kit car comes with paperwork you submit at the time the build is complete and roadworthy when you take the car to the State Inspections Office to get it's kit car vin plate.  Since the base of the buggy was a VW it will need to be registered as such.  Essentially, if it ever had a VIN prior to being built/modified, it will have to keep using that VIN.   It should only need the tail pipe sniff test.

Yeah... that's kind of what I was thinking. My real concern is the actual inspection (come the day that it actually is roadworthy) that someone looks at it and says, "well, it doesn't look like a Beetle."

The trailer will be a piece of cake as long as it has a trailer VIN assigned on the title and stamped on the tongue.  If not, simple paperwork can be done to get a Colorado trailer VIN assigned but I'm fairly certain that if MN didn't require a stamped or sticker plate VIN, Colorado will likely supply one at the time you register it.

The trailer has a VIN assigned to it and it's on the state supplied ID sticker on the tongue. Depending on the DMV you go to, they'll either want to inspect it or they won't. When I went in, they were told that it's a home built pickup box trailer... which it is.

I guess I have some work to do.  :doh:

That Colorado I/M 240 test procedure looks a whole lot like the California test procedure.  My suggestion is when you get to Colorado, do a pretest check with the Comanche and see what they pick up.  My guess is you will fail the dyno test if you are able to even get by the visual test.  This will tell you what you need to do.  In California, if smog equipment has been removed, you have to put it ALL back on.  Doesn't matter what it cost, you took it off - you have to fix it.  If the smog equipment is there and just broken, there are some cost limits and you may get extra time to fix the problems.

The dune buggy won't require any physical inspection regarding the body, modifications etc.  All you'll need to do is get it to pass emissions for a '74 Beetle.  The Colorado Air Care minions don't inspect vehicles beyond emissions law requirements.  There are no "roadworthyness" inspections for vehicles in Colorado unless they've been hand made, repaired from a collision previously deemed totaled or salvage.  All the DMV will see regarding your buggy's paperwork is that you're going to register a '74 Beetle.  I believe we in Law Enforcement can submit a vehicle for mandatory roadworthyness inspection if we see a vehicle altered dangerously, but there are lots of Manx buggies running around out here and unless stuff is falling off or flapping in the wind or causes the buggy to be obviously unsafe to operate...... no one will give it a second glance.

Your trailer should be a simple title change and registration then since it has a VIN on the title and tongue.  

My 88 MJ has the egr blocked but not removed and it also is missing the knock sensor. Ive had it tested three times and never had a problem. They only get nit-picky if you are an a$$hole or if your vehicle doesnt pass and you bring it back for a retest. If you live in Weld Co like me you only have to get emissions on gassers. And if you live east of hwy 85 you don't have to get any vehicles tested. Good luck.

by what means are you transporting them all?

It's more than likely going to turn into a multi trip kind of move. I have a tow bar for the VWs so that'll put me at a couple trips if I play my cards right. The jury is still out if the Beetle is coming with or not. As for the camper... someone might still come along to buy it?