Options for my mirrors

I am having trouble keeping mirrors on the truck. The mirror itself is fine it's the like plastic bracket that bolts to the door and the mirror snaps in. Mine keep cracking and can no longer hold the mirror.

One broke when wheeling the spotter was getting out and slipped and knocked it on the way down.

One to a tree branch hanging in the trail.

One came back to the truck and it looks like someone opened a door into it.

I have the original '88 mirrors, a set off a '90 (i think) XJ and a driver off a '87 (I think) XJ.

What are my options for replacements? I think that little plastic holder is just going to be getting worse and worse over the years. Does anyone know of any mirrors from other vehicles that work?

you can use the 97xj mirrors that can fold in on the trails.

Do they still use the same style of mounting? I'm just thinking they are going to crack when they get old as well and a big bump or something could knock them loose.

The base mounts to the door the same way, but the hinge mechanism is completely different.

• 2 weeks later...

0dc77e4c9d1f225df0bcc35943deea1e.jpg

d447f2bfc7c71af78cad68c98bdd5d3e.jpg

I found these in the junk yard on a MJ that was a really nice truck (87 4.0L Auto 4x4 SWB factory bucket seats) It was a shame this truck ended up here, the bed was hardly even scratched up. Lady said they drove it off the trailer. Shame it's schedule to be crushed on Wednesday.

Anyway got my mirrors and the plates that go inside the door. Can't wait to mount them.

In the meantime we should have a moment of silence as we lose one of our brothers this Wednesday.

• 5 months later...

Seems as good a place as any ... couple questions about using 97+ mirrors on the original door. 

Are they available in manual remote adjust and can someone point out a thread that has instructions for swapping them out? 

Please and thank you. 

Tim

I have only ever seen power mirrors on the 97+.  Some of them do have defrost!  Almost every 1997 I find seems to have it.  I have never seen a "non-power" one, but it's no biggie, you just adjust the glass by hand.

I've done both my 1991 XJ and 1991 MJ.

It's almost as simple as unbolt old mirror and bolt new one on.  Almost.

On both trucks, I had to pull the stainless window trim off and trim it ever so slightly to get the mirror to sit flush.  Tedious and time consuming but not hard, if you have a bench grinder or similar tool.

I've never heard anyone mention this, but I would be surprised if someone got away without doing it.

Also, I was able to make the power work on my XJ (with factory power mirrors).  The connectors are different but can be made to work.  If I remember correctly, I spliced the 97+ end onto the truck end, and it took some figuring and note taking.  Also, you have to remove the wires from the plastic connector on the mirror to fish them through the door, then re-insert them into the connector.  The connector is shaped differently and doesn't fit through the gap in the door on the inside.

Hornbrod - did you relocate your antenna?  and are you running just one wiper?  Also - anyone know where you can get those side window visors?  

Everyone else, be careful if you buy those Chinese mirrors and antenna's - the car washes aren't shy about ripping em off 

Hornbrod -

1.  did you relocate your antenna?  

2.  and are you running just one wiper?  

3.  Also - anyone know where you can get those side window visors?  

1.  It's an XJ power antenna. When retracted it inside the fender.

2.  One wiper because the right wiper arm hits on the cowl hood when opening. So I just usually leave it off unless I'm in a typhoon or something.

3.  It was a Mopar accessory item - hard to find now.

I like my towing mirrors, dunno why but they just seem to say truck to me. Had the option to use the 92 parts XJ's joystick mirrors or my spare 2000 power mirrors. Kept the towing mirrors. Probably scuff and paint semi-gloss black or find some factory black Ford mirrors but that's about it.

6c6d4a2ea51270e23684ea16a122d6c1.jpg

Hornbrod - did you relocate your antenna? and are you running just one wiper? Also - anyone know where you can get those side window visors?

Everyone else, be careful if you buy those Chinese mirrors and antenna's - the car washes aren't shy about ripping em off

Vent shade made those visors as well . There are several being sold on eBay , they are technically the 4pc for xjs . W12b-4 is black and w12-4 is stainless . The Comanche number is w13 -2 for stainless and w13b-2 for black .

Sorry for the hijack Bootsandtrucks .

Ventshade made them, but they are copies - had both. Not that it's a big deal, but the Ventshade metal gauge is thinner and the clips are not the same nor do they hold as well. But either will work, and the Mopars are unobtainum now, so there's not much choice anymore...........