Spring Over Axle Swap

Ok so I have been trying to think about how I'm going to lift my MJ.

I would like to fit 275-75r17s on 2014 rubicon wheels under my MJ, I would like about 3.5" to 4.5" of lift.

I want to do the spring over axle swap in the rear and do 4" lift spring in the front but how much lift will the SOA give me?

Help please!

qadu2apa.jpg

This is every thing I should need. Just give me some input, cuz my girlfriend doesn't talk back when I just rumble on about my MJ!

how much "lift" it gives depends greatly on how saggy your leafs are. Going SOA will net around 5-6 inches of height over what you have now.  if your leafs are shot, then you'll need less lift up front to level it out.  if they are in good shape, then you'll need more. :thumbsup:

Good choice with the IRO products.

Like said before, lift the rear and go from there. Be sure to take proper measurements before your lift so that you can adjust to the proper lift that you achieved.

Figure the SOA will net about 5" of lift depending on the condition of your current leaf springs.  Therefore, you will need taller front springs unless you want a raked stance.

Hopefully you or someone you know is a savvy welder.

You don't "need" the BPE's or transfer case drop.

You need shocks.

If your rig is going to be on the street, I wouldn't recommend their OTK steering because it uses heim joints instead of tapered rod ends.  JCR has a nice 1 ton steering kit but you will have to ream your knuckles out.  The reamer is not exactly cheap.  IDK what you're planning on doing, but 1 ton steering on a Dana 30 is pretty overkill.  Get a beefier tie rod and call it a day.

6 inches? Wow, my leafs must be saggier than a.... never mind. With the MJ shackles I get about 5 inches max. 

I replaced my 2wd leafs with a different set of 2wd leafs and gained 2" of height.  :( not good when the truck was nice and balanced before.

Assuming a 2-3/4" axle tube and making NO changes other than just flipping from spring-under to spring-over, the flip should generate 5-1/4" to 5-1/2" of lift. If you're doing an axle swap at the same time, and replacing a Dana 35 with a dana 44, Chrysler 8.25", of Ford 8.8", add to that the difference in axle tube diameter between the D35 and whichever axle you're swapping in.

spring pad thickness x 2 (you are moving it from the bottom of one to the top of the other), thickness of the axle tube plus the thickness of the spring pack. This is metric tonne pack on a shortbox with 2200lbs of wet gravel.

and empty (below)

• 2 weeks later...

You could always stay sprung under and get new 3" or 4.5" leaf packs from hellscreek

$188 for a rear set of 3" springs from hellscreek....... humm makes me think a small 3" as I have 3" OME HD springs in the garage.

Will have to research brake lines, shocks, etc....

Anyone running a 3" now? Would a 31" fit well?

I also have a set of 4.5" front springs so maybe the 4" would actually be 4.5 over the worn factory leafs.....

Is the metric tonne model easy to identify?

This pic is 2200 lbs (parked on a curb left front)

One and a half tractor buckets

I only had to take the 3300lbs 10 miles.

2 full tractor buckets (it had been raining, so a lot of water poured out when I went up the hill after the scale)

Unfortunately, that's the way it goes. I needed the gravel right then and not after it dried out. I put the Metric Tonne style springs in because I was thinking of using the truck to haul fifth wheel. I'd have to go full float rear axle and then there is beefing up the frame. Decided to pass and go bigger truck (which is why it's for sale now)