2001 Comanche Crew Cab - Detroit Didn't But I Did!

I hope the link works below to take you to a couple of pictures of my almost completed (95%) Jeep Comanche Crew Cab pickup (X/MJ).  It has been a dream of mine ever since the MJ Comanche disappeared in 92 and I finally got the time and funds to complete it.  Started with a low mile 2001 rust free XJ 4x4 Sport 4 door Cherokee (one of 2.85 million made) and a rust free 87 Comanche short bed base truck and after about 3 years of part time work and lots of it, the end result is even better than I expected.  I never thought the proportions would be so good and I think the overall look is about as factory as if Detroit made it (which they should have).  The wheelbase was stretched from 101" to 147" in the process and it rides like a dream - the overal length is 19.5 '.  Learning to park is a whole new process tho as it seems the rear of the truck does not go where the rear of the Cherokee went or not at the same time at least.

The unibody frame junction is in the middle of the back door of the Cherokee and is reinforced on each side with 3x3x42" long angle iron with 1.5" holes drilled every 6 inches and rosette welded to both the Comanche and Cherokee side of the unibody frame.  A new drive shaft tunnel was fabricated and rolled with new sheet metal and ties the rear of the two driveshaft tunnels together. The floor joints and rocker boxes are either butt welded or plated and welded 100% side to side.  The drive shaft was 27.5" long for the Cherokee and a new 5" diameter x 72.5" long aluminum driveshaft was made and balanced by a local suspension shop in Evansville IN.  I took the Cherokee trans crossmember and the Comanche trans cross member (now empty and about 30 " behind the Cherokee's) and made a single cross member by cross bracing and plating the two together.  It bolts to the bottom of the frame rails in the original places using four bolts into the Cherokee and four bolts into the Comanche portions of the crossmember and frame rails.

The bottom back corner of the Comanche doors were cut and welded to the bottom back of the Cherokee back doors to fill in the former Cherokee wheel well cut out in the back doors.  The Comanche door post slanted back while the Cherokee rear door post slanted forward so there is a 3" wide x 15 long triangular piece of metal welded in to tie the two posts together.  Th roof of the Comanche was 1" taller than the Cherokee so I made a rear spoiler with the height difference at the very back of the cab top - looks like it belongs.  From the rear door latch up is Cherokee while below the latch is Comanche on both the door post and the door itself.  The local trim shop found the original cloth material to match the front buckets and recovered the Comanche bench to match the front buckets for a five passenger capcacity (all the mounting points for the original bench seat were still with the Comanche portion of the truck floor).

I used the plastic gas tank from the Cherokee and the metal floor / gas tank mounting area from the rear of the Cherokee and placed it where the Comanche spare tire was located behind the rear axle - an easy fix for the gas tank.  Then I had to fabricate (not so easy) gas fill and vent lines from the new tank location up to the original bedside fill door as I did not want to move the gas filler door to the back of the bed side.  I used the Comanche Dana rear end for now since the 3.55 ratio matched the front of the Cherokee but still have the 8.25 Chrysler unit if the Dana gives out (more fabrication needed at that time).  The top rack is from an 02 Nissan Frontier (fits like a glove) and the nerf bars are from a Toyota Tacoma four door long bed - OK does Johnny Cash come to mind?

After much body work and block sanding, I painted the back doors, cab top/sides/back and bed with the original 2001 Cherokee Stone White base coat / clear coat but am not thrilled with the match and will likely end up painting the rest of the truck at some time down the road.  Its OK for now as I will be driving the Crew as my daily driver as soon as the headliner in installed and a few more things are worked thru.  I have a PowerPoint picture group of the build starting with the two vehicles if anyone is interested - I would be glad to share.  I did not keep track of hours but am guessing I have between 400 and 500 hours invested but as of now that time pretty much has disappeared in my mind especially after seeing what the result was. 

Thanks Britt - From Southern Illinois and a Southern Illinois University Engineering Graduate way back in 1974 - yes I am older than dirt!

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I also am pretty close to E-town.

I would also love to see it in person.

That is one awesome "Cheromanche" / "Comanchokee"!!

I'm not far away in Elizabethtown, KY. I would love to see it in person!

Thanks for sharing!

Very impressive job on this truck, I've also thrown this idea around for years. I'm also interested in looking at the truck and I'm alot closer in WV. I'm in the process now of marrying a xj front unibody with a AMC eagle, so looking at your work helps inspire me for the endless hours of spot welds..LOL

Very impressive job on this truck, I've also thrown this idea around for years. I'm also interested in looking at the truck and I'm alot closer in WV. I'm in the process now of marrying a xj front unibody with a AMC eagle, so looking at your work helps inspire me for the endless hours of spot welds..LOL

That will be a very unique setup.  Do you have any pictures?

That will be a very unique setup.  Do you have any pictures?

There's some pics in this build thread of Copper the hound dog, don't want to Hijack this guy's thread.

http://comancheclub.com/topic/39506-copper-the-hound-dog/

• 4 months later...

If any of you want to email me at britt.mcneely@gmail.com, I do have a Powerpoint presentation with dozens of pix that I will try to get back to you.  I am finishing the truck now after driving it for several months.  New heavy off road bumpers, trim, ID badges and new matt black screen print hockey stripes that you see on some 2013 FX4 F150 crew cabs which I think will really make the truck standout.  The ID badges on both front doors will be "Cherokee - Sport Trac XLT" with the XLT standing for an "XtraLongTruck".  Going to cut and fit and put the factory rubber sport trim back on the lower door ridges,B pillar and bedsides as well.

Thanks for all the great comments - never thought that it would turn out this good - never fails to draw a few observers  with lots of questions and picture takers when it is parked for any time at all.  What an awesome truck which is equipped with the very unique Illinois vanity truck plate "IMADEIT".   

• 4 years later...

“Comanche Crew”

by Britt McNeely (and friends)

2001 Jeep “Comanche Crew” crew cab hand built  pickup (model XMJ) – the one that Detroit should have built but did not – McNeely Enterprises made it happen(with some help from friends)

Starting with a red 1987 Jeep Comanche (MJ) short bed truck and a white 2001 Jeep Cherokee (XJ) 4x4, 4 door loaded “sport” both very straight /rust free (the 2001 was purchased in white for a reason – hides bodywork well J)

Project planned since the early 90s - began 3/27/10 and finished 8/1/2013

OK – I did cut two perfectly good vehicles into four pieces not knowing with 100% confidence that I would end up with one new vehicle (and 2 extra pieces) – but it did work!

Wheel base of the new 4 door Comanche Crew stretched about 45”. Overall length after all modifications to be about the same as a 2004 Dodge Dakota Quad cab but the Jeep will have a full 6’ bed.

The Jeep Comanche pickup was made from late 1985 until 1992 and was only available in a regular cab with a 6 ft or 7 ft bed. It was offered in 2x4 and 4x4 with many different trims and drive train options. The truck was based on the already existing Jeep Cherokee sport utility vehicle (identical from rear of front door (4 dr) forward) and maybe the only  pickup ever to have a uni-body front frame and rear frame rails to bolt a separate bed to.

Let’s take a rust free 1987 Comanche 2 x 4 short bed truck built by Jeep

image.png

image.png

image.png

2001 was the last year for production of the Jeep Cherokee (box version). There were millions made during the production run from 1984 to 2001 and they were very good vehicles (2 dr and 4 dr versions were built). This one is a fully loaded 2001 4x4 classic with only 78K miles and is in very good condition. 4.0 (242 cu in) in line 6 with auto trans and 231 transfer case.

Then add a rust free 2001 Cherokee 4x4 sport utility built by Jeep

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

Frame rail and rocker box cross-section cut – Cut in front of transmission cross member – will reuse x member for strength
Crew cab will have both Cherokee and Comanche transmission cross members

image.png

image.png

image.png

• Pete M locked this topic
  • Pete M unlocked this topic