Tow Rig Thoughts

johnny quest

here are my options:

A.- buy an older dedicated tow vehicle (3/4ton -1 ton, probably diesel) that will be used for the purposes of hauling the crawler to/from trails, plus micellaneous other truck type stuff, AND have a small daily driver vehicle that gets much better gas mileage than the truck. little DD sees most of the 'everyday' driving.

B.- buy a 1/2 ton truck that can tow the crawler around, but also be the DD. Will most likely get sub-par mpg, and will do 'okay' pulling a trailer on the hills. put lots of miles on between driving to work and driving to the trails.

C. screw the tow rig, keep the comanche street legal, and hope that nothing breaks out on the trail.

thoughts?

A buddy of mine has a Ranger that he used as a tow vehicle for his motorcross stuff. This summer, he picked up a POS Neon, and let the insurance lapse on his truck. He's saving $50/month, in gas and insurance. If he had both of them registered, but was only driving the Neon around, he wouldn't be saving money, because the fuel savings wouldn't add up to the cost of registering the Ranger. When he needs to register the Ranger, he just transfers the insurance over to it. Since the summer, he's saved himself $200, including the initial price of the Neon and the work/parts he put into it to get it on the road. I'd imagine the savings would be a bit more if his tow vehicle were bigger than a Ranger.

Another thing to bear in mind is that most older half-tons don't do all that much better MPG wise than 3/4 tons do, which would make it roughly equal whichever one you chose as a single vehicle, and depending on how built your MJ is, it might be a bit much for a 1/2 ton...

I would be tempted between either A and C. If you daily driver breaks, then you still can get around in the other vehicle (MJ or Tow vehicle). I'm in the boat where my only car is buggered, so I can't drive it to get the parts to fix it (and don't really have the time). Fortunately I'm not dependent upon it, but it's a major inconvenience. Not to mention I'm OCD enough that it really bothers me that something I have is broken so I can't use it.

The only concern is space for the third vehicle (and the trailer!). I don't have space for two, but I'd guess if you've got room for two, then you'd have room for three or four...

the space wouldnt be an issue; we're currently looking at buying a house and an RV pad, or at least room in the backyard to park a trailer is on the list of 'needs'. I'm leaning towards A, and justing sucking it up when it comes to long road trips without the MJ in tow. these trips are few and far between, but it still comes into consideration.

I have a 2007, 4 door, 4x4, long bed Cummins that is my DD. I can get 24-25 mpg on the highway and 18 city if I stay off the skinny pedal and keep it below 68 mph. Most small cars struggle to get the same results. I vote you get a diesel tow rig and DD. Stay away from any 6.0 Ford though.

I have a 2007, 4 door, 4x4, long bed Cummins that is my DD. I can get 24-25 mpg on the highway and 18 city if I stay off the skinny pedal and keep it below 68 mph. Most small cars struggle to get the same results. I vote you get a diesel tow rig and DD. Stay away from any 6.0 Ford though.

I'm staying away from anything that has what i call 'blue oval syndrome' lol

do you run stock sized tires? which transmission do you run? if I'm goin with a diesel, i want to go cummins with a 5 or 6spd manual tranny.

My truck has the 5.9 Cummins with the auto behind it. My trans is built a little better than stock. It let go at 68k because there was some casting flash that cut a seal internally. I am running stock everything even the air filter. The only non stock item is the muffler delete pipe. All my buddies have lifted rigs and they are always doing uni-bearings and ball joints. I love my truck and want to trade the WJ in for another CTD for my wife.

Consider this:

You get a 5000 dollar truck.

You get a 2500 dollar daily driver (Focus or Neon or some Honda)

The truck gets 14mpg - the car 28mpg. These are combined city and highway.

You average 12000 miles per year.

You save $1457 per year in gas driving the car exclusively over the truck.

DD will need insurance, taxes and plates. Subtract that from the $1457

DD will need oil changes and maintenance items (wipers, tires) Subtract that from the $1457

DD will eventually need something fixed. Subtract that from the $1457

It will take a really long time to make up the difference in cost to justify the DD. And that's a cheap DD.

And that's if you pay cash. I didn't include interest.

You are better off just driving the truck.

If you want another car for a daily driver, then get one. But just don't think you're saving a ton of money in gas. It will save money, but maybe not as much as you may think.

B.

thats what i did and don't look back. as you stated it pulls the MJ "okay" but its still decent or at least my 09 Z71 is. i still get the same as a diesel on MPG (city/hwy) and a little less on towing vs. a diesel but i also pay a $#!&load less for my gas too. plus your not going to be towing ALL the time. also i hate and i mean HATE taking my extended cab into the city. i don't even want to imagine how trying to move around a big @$$ diesel in downtown/midtown areas would be. thats just me though....

D. Get a bike. :thumbsup:

'D' has been taken; your suggestion will be known as 'E' :rotfl2:

this thought has crossed my mind as well. While i trust myself on a motorcycle, i don't trust all the other crazy drivers around here. I've had friends get hit and get really messed up due to someone else not paying attention. I've even had friends die on motorcycles. So as much fun as it would be, i'll prob pass.

...and i'll prob end up DD'ing a 3/4 ton diesel. cause like Dadinator was saying, whatever money I'd save on fuel for the truck by DD'ing a car, I'd spend on the car. Plus I'd rather spend the same amount on one nice truck, than on two decent vehicles.

edit: unless i find the 'right' 1/2 ton gasser. the eco-boosts are nice, but theyre Ford. I need a crew cab, since a family is in the future, and even before that happens, we'll need a vehicle that we can fit more than 2 people comfortably in, (GF drives a TJ)

another vote for B, except with a gas engine in that tow rig. as fun as diesels are, if it's only for occasional use, a big gas engine works great and parts for it tend to be cheaper and more plentiful in random auto stores or junkyards you may find on your journeys. and as for insurance, I own 5 running vehicles, only one of which is insured for driving at any one time. it's cheap to insure the others for "storage". oil changes, tires, etc will all be cheaper for your DD and then you fire up the hauler once in a while for towing purposes.

'D' has been taken; your suggestion will be known as 'E' :rotfl2:

this thought has crossed my mind as well. While i trust myself on a motorcycle, i don't trust all the other crazy drivers around here. I've had friends get hit and get really messed up due to someone else not paying attention. I've even had friends die on motorcycles. So as much fun as it would be, i'll prob pass.

OK, "E" then.

Sorry for any losses. Interestingly, I have had no friends hurt or killed on a bike. I have been slightly injured on one. (Scrapes).

When I'm on the bike, I simply treat all cars like they are trying to kill me and I avoid cities as much as possible.

I have had 2 friends and a brother-in-law killed in car crashes. I still drive a car though...

Good luck with your decision.

My thoughts.

I have had a diesel tow rig and trailer for over 5 years. It is a very nice luxury. Always ready to hook up the trailer and go pick up some junk or load up the trail rig to go wheeling. Always knowing I have a ride home.

I DDed my 01 cummins because it was cheaper to drive then my 00 lifted XJ. Used to get around 25 mpg.

Today I have a 2012 Ram 2500 6.7 Cummins that stays in the garage till I need it. It's used for pulling my big trailer and road trips pretty much exclusively. It's ALOT of money invested but its sure nice to have a really nice rig for traveling/towing.

I DD my 88 LWB MJ. I have a 10 mile drive to work and that's way to short of a run for a new diesel to make everyday. Mileage is no good on the new truck but that's a problem that can be fixed with the aftermarket. I love the power of a diesel whether towing or just using the truck for a trip across the country.

Buy a diesel truck. GM or Dodge. There is no real savings to be had with having a 'commuter' and a 'tow rig', unless your tow rig is a gas sucking pig, or you can combine the insurance.

I committed a sin in the spring and bought ANOTHER gas 3/4 ton truck. An 08 Chevy with a 6.0L. After I discovered that approximately $120 in gas got me 415km (260 miles), it hit me rather hard why I told myself I'd never buy another gas 3/4 ton (or larger). I also drove another GM 6.0L truck on my last crew change, it was a crew cab/short box, so it had a smaller tank (or so it seemed), and I was getting only 355km (225 miles) to a tank, which is quite frankly way too little range for my liking.

So, I bought a 98 3/4 ton Dodge 24V for $3000 (as is, where is, left at the dealership in Smithers. About 4hrs from where I live. The parting words were 'It's leaking fuel really bad at idle, but as long as you keep your foot to the floor it doesn't seem too bad') and traded the Chevy for an 11 JK. Way happier with the diesel Dodge for general truck duties.

I needed to replace a Chrylser POS Jeep ZJ that was part DD and part tow rig. I have an army sized family and knew the wallet could stand one new vehicle not a family sized DD and a tow rig. I knew I needed a large SUV or full crew cab P/U.

MPG wasn't really a concern for me. I normally drive around 100 miles a week, heck I spent all summer DD'ing my FSJ at 8 MPG.

In my area crew cab pick-ups are not real common and ones in good shape command. I also knew (like Pete said) unless you use a diesel for diesel stuff on a regular basis you are simply tossing money at the idea of being a diesel owner. I knew my need of a big bad tow vehicle was pretty limited, so a diesel wasn't really needed unless the price was stupid low. I also didn't need the extra capacity of a DRW pick-up, so I would never be able to offset those additional costs and storage issues. My wife and oldest daughter can't drive manual transmission, so it had to be an automatic transmission.

I couldn't find a crew cab,SRW,big gas engine truck at a price/condition point that made sense. I found every 'wrong' truck out there though.. I mean really.. who orders a 2wd 1 ton p/u with a V-6????

So I turned to full sized SUVs.. That comes to a whole new set of challenges and ideas... I found Durangos to be the cheapest of the large SUVs.. but since it has the inherent problem of being built by Chrysler, and the overall lowest tow rating. I really discounted the idea of getting one, unless it was stupidly cheap enough to cover the repairs that come with owning Chrylsers.

I ended up looking at Excursions/Expeditions, Suburbans/Tahoes. In a perfect world it would have been a diesel Excursion and called it done. But the pricing on the available ones was very high, or they were already really monkeyed around with(big lifts, stupid black smoke blowing, etc.) Most of the Suburbans either were very expensive, or suffer what I call white-trash-itis. Clapped out interiors, cigarette butts everywhere, smelling faintly of cheap stale beer, Nascar stickers all over, some sort of wierd pointless exterior mod. I found a few that were in the right price range and usable condition without major rehab.

I found a goodly number of Expeditions and Tahoes that were in the right price range and right condition. I held out for the perfect truck to fall into my lap, my wife and kids looked at ALOT of vehicles with me. I had to find something that they all could be in comfortably. I went back and forth between a Tahoe and an Expedition for weeks. Alot of the Tahoes I found had rust issues under the doors and in the rocker areas. I finally found an Expedition with the 5.4 and the tow package, it wasn't exactly what I wanted. Heck, the day before I went to pick up the Expy I went and looked at one more crew cab P/U just to make sure. Since I got my Expy.. I have loved it. Driving it is VERY comfortable, alot more so than I expected. It does tow just fine for my needs. If I was towing everyday it would be somewhat less than I needed, but for my use it was perfect.

I couldn't find a big gas engined, crew cab, SRW p

the more i read about 1/2 tons, i realize that it would do the job fine, if there werent any long mountain climbs between me and moab, but there are MAJOR climbs and MAJOR descents, so not only would a 1/2 ton not be up to the pulling, but the stock brakes wouldnt be up to the stopping power i would need, even with a trailer with trailer brakes.

so 3/4 ton it is. diesel would certainly be nice for the before mentioned long climbs, but for the other 95+% of its duties, itll be driving around the SLC valley, and there's no need for that much pulling power down here. plus diesel trucks are pulling a premium for some reason around here, and most of them have been lifted and tuned, and have 22" rims with low pro mud terrains, which i just don't understand.

so its sounds like a 3/4 ton gasser is what ill end up with. needs room for 4-5 adults comfortably.

so its sounds like a 3/4 ton gasser is what ill end up with. needs room for 4-5 adults comfortably.

Before you jump right into that.

I get about 500 miles to a tank on my diesel Dodge... Same amount of fuel as was getting me 260 miles in my gas GM.

Decide if the premium is worth it, given that you're going to spend only 60% as much on fuel... (Assuming diesel is slightly more expensive than 87)

When I bought my 08 Chevy, I was like "Ah, screw it, I don't drive it enough to need to spend a couple grand more for a diesel". Guess what? I don't drive that much, but it would have been worth it.

Plus, typically you will see the diesel engines far outlive their gas counterparts. (Unless you buy a Ford, and the pre-06ish? Duramax are bad for eating their injectors unless the fuel filter has been religiously changed, and the high pressure lines have been changed)