A Thought On V8S

I have read several threads on the internet covering v8 swaps. Some are carbuerated, some injected, 5.9, 350, 305, 360, 401, quite a few actually. If you were going to put a V8 into your MJ what would it be and why would you choose that particular one? Basically, out of all the V8 motors that can be found in a junkyard or on craisgslist, what would be first choice?

Ex. Engine: carbed sbc 350 Why: simpicity and crazy amount aftermarket support

V8s only, please.

I would also like to know what you guys think is the best "modern" fuel injected V8 that could be found in a junkyard.

:group beer:

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am swapping a 5.2 Magnum into my truck. I went with a 94 OBD-I setup. My reason was to keep the old style interior. A OBD-II swap requires either a hard to find 96 XJ dash and wiring or a 97+ conversion. I have done that once already. I also stayed with a ChryCo motor because I am a MOPAR man. I also stayed injected because carbs are lame and will not pass emissions standards.

LS engines make a lot of sense if you don't care about the cross pollination of GM genes. But Magnum V8s would be at the top of my list.

To me, old carbureted SBCs in jeeps have been done too much. I think they actually devalue the Jeep unless it's a very well built high HP engine.

First choice would be a AMC 304, 72-78 years; namely because I like that little oddball V8. Yes, I know about "No replacement for displacement" but I don't really need a high-end V8. Never really was a fan of excess of power. If I had an MJ that could pull decently, I'd be pretty happy.

If I couldn't procure an AMC V8, the next choice would be a mid-80s GM 305. For the same reasons stated above. Plus, I'm pretty familiar with the 305, as my old man has one in his 86' Pontiac Parisienne. The 305 seems to be the reason I can't find the right Firebird; IMO the 350 has been done to death in everything.

If I were to do a V8, I would not do the Chebby. Been done too many times.

I think a 5.0 Ford would be a great swap. Light weight and great aftermarket support if you're into hot rodding.

Get the one from the exploder and then swap in the Mustang (or aftermarket) cam and you'd have a nice powerful package.

If that proved too difficult, then probably a magnum from a dodge truck.

Don't do it with a D35, though.

I am swapping a 5.2 Magnum into my truck. I went with a 94 OBD-I setup. My reason was to keep the old style interior. A OBD-II swap requires either a hard to find 96 XJ dash and wiring or a 97+ conversion. I have done that once already. I also stayed with a ChryCo motor because I am a MOPAR man. I also stayed injected because carbs are lame and will not pass emissions standards.

The 5.2 Dodge engine is pretty dang fast, my friend has a 5.2 (magnum)/AW4 in his 2wd 93 Dakota and he can barely keep the rear end straight when he gives it some gas. Its a sweet engine, but is it very reliable? My buddy needs to rebuild his 5.2, and Ive seen lots of ZJs on Craigslist that need their 5.2 V8 rebuilt.

Had I have looked harder when i was hunting down parts for my LS1 swap! I would have just bought the whole truck and had everything at once instead of using a Corvette motor and then two years later buying a new tranny and T-Case from a truck because I killed the Turbo 350. I’m not saying this is best for everyone when the ole mighty dollar is controlling your build, but its so much easier to have everything you need together at the beginning and getting the smaller parts later on then having a rolling chassis laying around for a year or more. LS or Vortec motors work great for me !

The 5.2 Magnum is nothing more than a 318 from yesteryear. The 318 is arguably one of the most reliable motors made. You see a lot blown up because there are so many out there. Dodge put the 5.2 in everything. Think about how many ZJs were sold and their age/mileage. Then add in how they were maintained. The life span of a Magnum is on par with a 302 or 350.

I initially did a carb'd gen I SBC 350 mainly because they are so cheap and easy to get parts for and I started with the 2.8L Chevy engine in my '86. I later went to the TPI (Tuned Port Injection) setup on there when I went fuel injected. If I were to do it again, I'd go with a 351W with a ZF5 behind it.

First choice would be a AMC 304, 72-78 years; namely because I like that little oddball V8. Yes, I know about "No replacement for displacement" but I don't really need a high-end V8. Never really was a fan of excess of power. If I had an MJ that could pull decently, I'd be pretty happy.

If I couldn't procure an AMC V8, the next choice would be a mid-80s GM 305. For the same reasons stated above. Plus, I'm pretty familiar with the 305, as my old man has one in his 86' Pontiac Parisienne. The 305 seems to be the reason I can't find the right Firebird; IMO the 350 has been done to death in everything.

I hate to break it to you but doing a 305 or 350 is exactly the same. The only difference would be carb or injector size.

I initially did a carb'd gen I SBC 350 mainly because they are so cheap and easy to get parts for and I started with the 2.8L Chevy engine in my '86. I later went to the TPI (Tuned Port Injection) setup on there when I went fuel injected. If I were to do it again, I'd go with a 351W with a ZF5 behind it.

I hate to break it to you but doing a 305 or 350 is exactly the same. The only difference would be carb or injector size.

LOL - - Been waiting for this about SBCs - - Except for the early 265 wi add on oil filter you can't tell what the cid is by just opening the hood & taking a casual look - 262-267-283-302-305-307-327-350-400 - - mostly alla same external as far as a swap goes - - - hard to tell apart when installed -Can't tell internal diffs like bigger valves in heads that won't bolt up to smaller bore blocks like the 305 - bore/stroke/crank/etc - weights on flywheel like the 400 - - BTW me and BIL put a 400 in his cj back when & didn't get FW - Talk about rough running! Anyway, thas about it for SBCs - Pick your poison - - - FWIW, if I had 1 jy /stock sbc to avoid it'd be the 305 - it's a dog & one that won't hunt - 262 variant almost as bad - All the HP of a 6cyl & MPG of a 454 - both of 'em

:thumbsup:

It depends on what I was using the Jeep for.

The trail MJ has a V8 capable trans in it now (NV3550),

AMC V8's share the same bolt pattern as our 4.0L's,

and since its a trail truck, its never going to win any mileage awards anyway,

so I'd go AMC 360.

A 401 would bolt up too, but no sense stressing the trans & cooling system any more than the 360 will.

My daily driver Jeeps? (98XJ & 89MJ, both automatics)

Even though this engine is tough to find in junk yards,

I think I'd lean towards the Chrysler/Jeep 4.7L V8.

Nice HP to weight, and the 5spd autos used with them seem to have a good reputation.

But I would miss the AW4 auto.

The Hemi is awesome,

but more $$ for a donor vehicle to get parts from,

and its overkill in an XJ/MJ unless you're building a hot rod, or a serious trail machine.

Other engines I like?

The new Chevy's are decent & cheap, but being anti-Chevy I wouldn't.

A Modular Ford V8 would be awesome in an XJ/MJ.

Everything our 4.7L V8's should have been, but weren't,

+ a huge aftermarket following.

Stock looking XJ, small tires, 300+HP 3 or 4 valve 4.6L/6 speed would be A LOT of fun :yes:

^^and probably get 20+mpg on the highway

As has been already said, a 350 is likely the easiest to come by cheap, and the existing aftermarket is huge, but because of that, it's not very unique...

I'm a bit of a fan of the more modern GM v8's, very compact, and like the sbc, they go into everything, and there's a pretty decent aftermarket. With the advent of computers, they're not so easy to just bolt in and go, but they are pretty compact for the amount of power you can get out of them so it's not hard to make them fit, and they're pretty darned reliable too. I personally think the 4.0 HO in my MJ is enough power-wise, but to each his own. You'd likely get a bit of an MPG bump, too, but not by much.

I dream sometimes about swapping an LS7 from the C6 Z06 into just about anything... it would be completely overkill, and I'm 99% positive there's no way to get them cheap, ever. GM sells them new in crate for the price of a brand new reasonably equipped small car...

I'd love to swap a V8 in my truck, but my biggest worry would be making sure all the electrical systems play nice together. I'd still want all my power options, overhead console, keyless entry etc. to work, not to mention all the gauges. If I had my choice, I'd put one of the more modern 5.7 Hemis in it. I'm sure a Chevy motor would be easier, but I'd like to keep it in the Mopar family.

A Modular Ford V8 would be awesome in an XJ/MJ.

Everything our 4.7L V8's should have been, but weren't,

+ a huge aftermarket following.

Stock looking XJ, small tires, 300+HP 3 or 4 valve 4.6L/6 speed would be A LOT of fun :yes:

^^and probably get 20+mpg on the highway

Ive thought about that too. I'm just not sure what it would take to get one under the hood, the Ford mod motors physically a very large engines.

I would go with a 7.3L Turbo diesel. I make biodiesel and run it in my 97 F250 at $1/gal. I can't even begin to imagine how hard it would be, but I'd like to have one.

Don't forget used filtered motor oil. :thumbsup:

The 5.2 Dodge engine is pretty dang fast, my friend has a 5.2 (magnum)/AW4 in his 2wd 93 Dakota and he can barely keep the rear end straight when he gives it some gas. Its a sweet engine, but is it very reliable? My buddy needs to rebuild his 5.2, and Ive seen lots of ZJs on Craigslist that need their 5.2 V8 rebuilt.

Mine has 260k on it. Burns some oil and antifreeze. Still runs just fine. If I was planning on doing anything but scrapping it, it would get rebuilt. Why put something with that mileage in a project and not rebuild it?? Some folks rebuild Chebbys over and over and never think twice about it.