What's The Best Oil Filter To Use?

I've read some of these threads and most everyone says not to use a fram oil filter. I have a 88' 4.0 Comanche with a used Groom's rebuilt engine in it which I installed in it last month. Right now it has a advance auto brand oil filter on it with 10w-40 advance auto oil. I've used this combo with other vehicle manufacturers in the past with no problems . The motor that I pulled out had 150,000 miles on it , Gunked up all to He#@, Two bad crank bearings, and a Fram oil filter on it. I know the previous owner, and he is known to be a vehicle abuser and not to do good maintence on his vehicles. Sooooo.......What is the oil filter number you use and what weight oil would be best for our 4.0 engines?

Wix is good, Napa is good (made by Wix), Purolater Pur-One is good.

There may be others. Mobil 1?

Fram, STP and most store brands are crap.

I agree. and, Eagle thanks for posting that link.

The big issue, besides general quality, is whether the oil filter has an excellent anti-drainback valve. Since our oil filters are mounted upside down, this is super critical. Wix, Napa Gold, Mopar have good valves.

I used to run Purolators, as advised by my grandfather, but a couple years ago I went to the local farm supply looking for a filter for my dad's van. They only had a Fram and a Mobil 1 that would work, so I paid for the Mobil 1. I got home, pulled it out of the box, and it was sleek, black, and sexy. Still looked that way when I went to change it again, even though it was coated in dirty oil (haven't decided whether that engine leaks or burns more oil...) so that's what I've been running since...

Yeah, not the greatest logic for choosing filters...

Here's a list of larger hi-capacity oil filters that fit the HO 4.0L engines with the SAE 3/4"x16 thread. All of these have good ratings depending on which ones you read. I used to use Purolators exclusively, but since I've read in several places that they are now designed like the Frams, I've switched to Mobil 1. Approximate prices are shown. $18.75 for the Amsoil filter? No way........

Oversize Oil Filters (3/4"x16 thread)

5.178" HIGH, 3.660" DIAMETER

AC-Delco PF2, $6.28

Motorcraft FL-1A, $6.49

Purolator L30001, $5.76

Napa 1515, $6.69

Wix 51515, $6.69

Baldwin B118, $9.26

Hastings LF115, $8.73

Mobil 1 M1-301, $8.00

Amsoil EaO15, $18.75

Donaldson P550008, $4.21

Here's a list of larger hi-capacity oil filters that fit the HO 4.0L engines with the SAE 3/4"x16 thread. All of these have good ratings depending on which ones you read. I used to use Purolators exclusively, but since I've read in several places that they are now designed like the Frams, I've switched to Mobil 1. Approximate prices are shown. $18.75 for the Amsoil filter? No way........

Oversize Oil Filters (3/4"x16 thread)

5.178" HIGH, 3.660" DIAMETER

AC-Delco PF2, $6.28

Motorcraft FL-1A, $6.49

Purolator L30001, $5.76

Napa 1515, $6.69

Wix 51515, $6.69

Baldwin B118, $9.26

Hastings LF115, $8.73

Mobil 1 M1-301, $8.00

Amsoil EaO15, $18.75

Donaldson P550008, $4.21

I too, have heard of recent problems with the Pure One. Wix is consistent and reliable.

I'm glad to see this thread, have been trying to find the same number that is on my truck (3980, can't think of the manufacturer off the top of my head). Since most of my shopping is done after hours was not able to find numbers for the other brands. Even when I got a WIX 51515 yesterday, the clerk looked at me funny since his computer didnt say it fit. (last one in the store so called ahead and had it held).

Please be reminded that the list of filters is for 91 and later. NOT RENIX.

That said, us Renix guys can use the listed filters if we change the threaded nipple that the filter screws on to.

53007563AB at the dealer for about $6. Or, bag one at the JY. 1" socket to remove the HO nipple. Deep 7/8 socket for the renix.

AC-Delco PF2, $6.28

Motorcraft FL-1A, $6.49

Purolator L30001, $5.76

Napa 1515, $6.69

Wix 51515, $6.69

Baldwin B118, $9.26

Hastings LF115, $8.73

Mobil 1 M1-301, $8.00

Amsoil EaO15, $18.75

Donaldson P550008, $4.21

:mad: You had to go putting up prices, didn't you... up here, a Mobil 1 will run $14-16, depending on where you get it... I don't remember ever paying less than $12 for any filter... $18 for an Amsoil doesn't seem too bad, if it's better than the others...

Mobil 1 is simply the best. I run them when I can get them on sale as part of an oil package deal.

Wix or any store brands manufactured by Wix are good. I have trouble finding them so I get packs delivered.

I usually get the Mobil 1 M1-301 filters at Amazon. $8/ea w. free shipping (over $25), so I order four. I haven't found a better price.