Replacing the Interior Lights -- (How I did it)

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well I just finished installing all of the lights discussed in this thread and it makes a huge difference. I had about $15 into it total and the only one not working right now is the ashtray light, that one is burned out. I haven't had interior light since owning this jeep, so I didn't even know when turning the light lever it kept them on!

No AAP Stores out here on the Left Coast... anyone found an on-line source for these?

SW2

Look in my original post. I put a link to the company that makes the lights...just click on the name in blue and you may be able to find a resource through them.

• 1 month later...

Just thought I'd add to this, because it is an awesome thread that a lot of us did not know about. Below is a pic of the ashtray light, i.e. w/the blue cover.

In addition, while i had the dash apart, i noticed there is a light that clips on to the cig lighter. it lights up a green glow ring around the lighter on the dash and also shines down in to the lighter socket to illuminate that. i noticed its the same assembly as the ashtray light, just a different end on it. and since i had just replaced the ashtray light, luck me, they came in a 2 pack, so now i'm just about all lit up. i still need to figure out the hvac light and i will have gone from completely dark at purchase in sept. to fully lit now. Sorry for the bad res on this pic, at night w/camera phone. I detached it from the lighter socket to show a little better.

by the way, the bulb part # for the ashtray is an 1891, and for the kick panel lights is a 194.

Hopefully I've contributed a little something here..........

Image Not Found

Image Not Found

Just thought I'd add to this, because it is an awesome thread that a lot of us did not know about it....

Image Not Found

I have a set of those under dash lights for sale if anybody needs them...(The yellow ones in Wahoo's picture)

shameless plug

Hey Dan you sure you got the right door switches???

• 1 month later...
  • 9 months later...
Then you simply put some male spade connectors on the ends of the wires on the new light fixture and plug them in to the apprpriate connectors on the wiring harness in the Jeep. The red wire is the hot and the black with white stripe is the ground.

What does the third wire do?

That is a ground wire from what I understand. I guess the original lights had a feature where you could push them or move them to turn them on & off independently and it used that wire. The set up I used works fine with both doors and with the headlight switch too so I saw no need to use whatever it is.

• 3 months later...
Thanks for the info. I installed mine today! I tried to get the originals working but every time I messed with them another piece would break off. HA! It's nice to be able to see in the dark. Sweet! :D

Wow, blast from the past! Welcome back.... :cheers:

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
n69205416_32696567_8748.jpg

n69205416_32701037_9793.jpg

you can see how much they actually do light up. the bulbs are the same as your corner marker bulbs and gauge bulbs.

you'll need to get the lights and harness from 1989 and earlier if your truck is earlier than 89, or 1990 to 1994 if your truck is a 90 through 92. the harness is different.

I have a spare set from 1990 if anyone wants them[/img]

What do you mean get the lights and harness? In my 88, it should have the wiring all the way up to the connector, right? I just need the light and pigtail that comes off the light?