Alexia's 1987 To 1997 Comanche

So last week when I was putting the bed on the hoist hook failed. It fell fairly gracefully and I had to climb out over the truck's frame rails.

gallery_1_12_21861.jpg

Minimal damage

gallery_1_12_112742.jpg

The metal is stretched so getting it flat without removing it is difficult.

gallery_1_12_52410.jpg

This is going to be covered in Line-X eventually so I did a minimal respray on it.

gallery_1_12_96223.jpg

Since I was painting I needed to correct the left front fender and the right cowl corner. Some touch ups went wrong during the initial painting and needed to be resprayed to get the correct level of gloss.

gallery_1_12_184598.jpg

gallery_1_12_121537.jpg

Nice even shine!

gallery_1_12_46299.jpg

Goodies! Sprintex XJ Supercharger kit, Kelley Works cables, AEM F/IC, and a head unit that works.

gallery_1_12_119534.jpg

GHayduke, on 04 Nov 2013 - 10:41, said:

Nice !!! & I thought you said you have trouble not spinning the tires before.... Looks like you won't need to push down the gas pedal very far in the future!

It got worse last week after I went to the correct heat range of spark plugs. Too much throttle from a dead stop during the 2 to 1 down shift makes the tires break loose immediately. I have actually considered lowering it back down and putting good street tires on it just so I can use all the traction.

Alex, you @$$, you're making me spend more money than I can afford right now! 

Seriously though, beautiful project, and I, like many others, cannot wait to see that beast rolling around with the sexy sound of a twin screw pumping out even more tire smoke.

Seriously though, beautiful project, and I, like many others, cannot wait to see that beast rolling around with the sexy sound of a twin screw pumping out even more tire smoke.

Hey, I am not making you spend any thing at all! :P

The truck is on hiatus until January. The LJ is in the garage getting a minor engine overhaul that I should be finishing up this week. After that I have to save for a holiday trip to visit the parents.

Hey, I am not making you spend any thing at all! :P

The truck is on hiatus until January. The LJ is in the garage getting a minor engine overhaul that I should be finishing up this week. After that I have to save for a holiday trip to visit the parents.

:fs1:

:fs1: I second your anger! I have been lusting after one of those sprintex superchargers for 3 years now and its always been one of those "I will get to it eventually" items. Now you have to go and post that they are discontinuing them... Damn you. So I called R&R Offroad and there were only 3 kits left so I had no choice. Now there are only 2 kits left. I guess the family is getting socks for x-mas. That's on your head now. :thwak:   

P.S. Happy Boosting  :cheers:

• 4 weeks later...

That is why I am single. All I worry about is buying the nephews the gifts my brother is not allowed to buy them per the insistence of the sister in law.

Maybe only two kits that R&R has left? There was fifty left at Sprintex when I called.

This is what my "TO DO" list looks like right now. This is what I have written done, but is certainly not a complete list.

• Install rest of exhaust(3")
  • Weld up rear bumper
  • Missing Transfer Case Nut 3/8"
  • Paint oil pan scratches.
  • 1,000 mile rear differential oil change(Uh, 1,800 miles I mean.)
  • Seam Sealer by VIN tag in engine bay
  • Drain and refill transfer case - Rattling on coasting - Break down current case and swap output shaft to newer case.
  • Finish installing Novak shifter
  • Rebuild front drive shaft
  • Differential Breathers
  • Horns
  • Rotate Fuel Pump Assembly
  • Grind Rear Flare Retainer Studs Off
  • Flares
  • Refresh Tail Lights
  • Install New Battery Wiring
  • Headliner
  • Cover Rear Backer Board
  • Test Install Burgundy Interior for dual tone look
  • Recover Seats
  • AC Charge
  • Parking Brake Adjustment
Hella Vision Plus H4 ECE conversion housings, Centric Premium Rotors, Centric Posi-Quiet Pads, and WJ Front Lower Control Arms

gallery_1_12_247544.jpg

This looks familiar. The axle is off to the side and back from finally being regeared to 4.56 along with new hubs installed.

gallery_1_12_231045.jpg

RE9905 braces for the RE9900 drop brackets. The manual specifies they do not work on the Comanche, but the general frame area is the same. Looks like an extra hole needs to be drilled for the forward crossmember bolt and possibly some of the lower control arm mount extra bracing trimmed.

gallery_1_12_402132.jpg

Rear view mirror with auto-dimming, compass, map lights, and temperature.

gallery_1_12_216586.jpg

Sound Deadener! I put this on the ceiling, INSIDE the B pillars, inside the doors, and along the back wall. Made a huge difference in overall rumble.

gallery_1_12_153027.jpg

Replacement weatherstripping for the A pillars. Not quite factory style, but they would work well.

gallery_1_12_313156.jpg

Sorry if I missed it, is the mirror a new aftermarket unit or did you pull it off a wreck? If latter, year, make and model (ball park)?

Have you decided what you are doing with the engine management? AEM piggy back or MS?

Really liking what you are have done with the truck. Once I finally get my life back under control I am hoping to get my truck project restarted. Every time I walk out into the studio and see the bare shell standing on jack stands it makes me sad.

Sorry if I missed it, is the mirror a new aftermarket unit or did you pull it off a wreck? If latter, year, make and model (ball park)?

Have you decided what you are doing with the engine management? AEM piggy back or MS?

Really liking what you are have done with the truck. Once I finally get my life back under control I am hoping to get my truck project restarted. Every time I walk out into the studio and see the bare shell standing on jack stands it makes me sad.

It is a CIPA mirror.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00029WSX6/ref=pe_175190_21431760_M3T1_ST1_dp_1

I went with AEM F/IC 6 30-1913.

Hmmm...OK - I'll officially 'Darn You' as well Alexia...lol

We didn't even think about a CIPA mirror, we salvaged a mirror out of 98 Grand Cherokee that had the day/night electronic switch.

It is not wired up yet so I can not really review the functionality yet.

New wheel hubs installed when I had it regeared. The brake dust shields were left off due to be rusty.

gallery_1_12_275270.jpg

Centric Premium Rotors and Posi-Quiet Pads - What was on there were nearly new, but hard braking induced a very hard pull to the left that I could not solve.

gallery_1_12_40774.jpg

WJ Lower Control Arms - Returned 100% of the steering radius with these. They are installed in the correct orientation.

gallery_1_12_278358.jpg

Rymanrph, on 02 Apr 2011 - 17:27, said:snapback.png

I've had several people ask me about the wiring for my tail lights, so I thought I'd post it in here in case anyone ever looks.

I hope this makes sense. I wired it so only the top light would work as the general light. The middle would be the turn signals only and the bottom would obviously be the reverse. There will be a couple wires on the top two pigtails to the Comanche lights that you won't use in this arrangement.

Driver Side:

General Lights/Brake Lights (Top):

Blue -> Solid Brown
White w/ Black -> White w/ Orange

Turn Signals (Middle):

Blue -> Green w/ Red

Reverse (Bottom):

Black w/ White -> Black w/ Green

Passenger Side:

Lights/Brakes (Top): I also wired the license plates lights in here too.

Blue -> Brown
Brown -> White w/ Orange

Turn Signals (Middle):

Blue -> Green w/ Red

Reverse (Bottom):

Brown w/ White -> Brown w/ Green

Obviously your grounds would all be the same. I hope this helps.

I hope you don't mind me adding what I did for wiring.  My donor was a '97 so your wiring should be the same, but depending on what year your MJ is, they might be slightly different; mine was a '90.  I wired mine like the XJ lights so the middle lights function as the turn signals and are not constantly lit with the upper bulbs.

Alex can you please post on how you made your wiring harness for your tailights and what wires you used from the 97 to run these. I have been trying to figure this out today and its about to drive me nuts. #IHATEWIRING

Follow what Rymanrph posted.  Sorry I can't respond to your text message.  I am in the mountains at my parents and was surprised I briefly had a message come through before losing signal again.

I hope you don't mind me adding what I did for wiring.  My donor was a '97 so your wiring should be the same, but depending on what year your MJ is, they might be slightly different; mine was a '90.  I wired mine like the XJ lights so the middle lights function as the turn signals and are not constantly lit with the upper bulbs.

Yep, my tops are running/brake lights, middle is turn signal, and bottom is reverse.  I made my own custom harness reusing a short section of some wires in the original grommet that goes through the floor.  No worrying about the original colors or such, but instead making sure the colors all matched up in the new harness.

Most of those pictures are on this page: http://www.nonamestudios.com/gallery/album/12-jeep-comanche/?st=250