Alexia's 1987 To 1997 Comanche

I discovered something about this setup. Lots of horsepower + Light Truck = What is traction in the rain? I have to be very gentle with the throttle to keep the tires from breaking free.

On the way home from lunch earlier the engine developed a misfire that would shake the entire vehicle, but no diagnostic codes were being thrown. I am guessing there may be moisture in the distributor cap or something else. It seemed to fix itself just by letting on the throttle for a few moments each time it happened.

I discovered something about this setup. Lots of horsepower + Light Truck = What is traction in the rain? I have to be very gentle with the throttle to keep the tires from breaking free.

I don't know what tires you are running, but when I had the 31" BFG M/T tires on, the slightest throttle would break the rear end free in the rain. I junked those and put on some Michelin LTX A/Ts and it doesn't do it anymore. Unless of course I tromp on it.

And what plugs are you running? My Hesco motor doesn't like anything but Champion RC10 plugs. Anything else and I get an occasional misfire.

I don't know what tires you are running, but when I had the 31" BFG M/T tires on, the slightest throttle would break the rear end free in the rain. I junked those and put on some Michelin LTX A/Ts and it doesn't do it anymore. Unless of course I tromp on it.

And what plugs are you running? My Hesco motor doesn't like anything but Champion RC10 plugs. Anything else and I get an occasional misfire.

Champion RC12LYC (412)

PO300, PO301, PO306 - Multiple random misfires detected and misfires in cylinders one and six. I will have to pull it into the garage later, if it will run, and pull apart the ignition system.

This may be a complete shot in the dark, or maybe my brain is tired and overthinking, but if it's misfiring on 1 and 6, I might get 1 and 6 at TDC, pull the CPS, and see if there's anything on the flywheel messing with the CPS on or by the 1-6 pickup windows.

This may be a complete shot in the dark, or maybe my brain is tired and overthinking, but if it's misfiring on 1 and 6, I might get 1 and 6 at TDC, pull the CPS, and see if there's anything on the flywheel messing with the CPS on or by the 1-6 pickup windows.

I listened to the injectors clicking with a screwdriver and each one seems to sound fine. The spark plugs are a nice golden brown. It seems like that new CPS in there might be bad.

Apparently the collar that surrounds the filler next on the fuel cell is water proof, but the tank cap is not. There was water just up the edge of the cap and there still is half a tank of cloudy 93 octane gas in the tank. It was very clear when I filled it the other day. Time to change the filter and pour it out.

Bummer. But that's better than a fubar ignition system. Guess that's why fuel tanks are underbody and the fillers are behind a filler door with a pressure cap. Maybe you can adapt a screw-on cap on the cell neck that vents? Or a bed shell topper that keeps everything dry?

Bummer. But that's better than a fubar ignition system. Guess that's why fuel tanks are underbody and the fillers are behind a filler door with a pressure cap. Maybe you can adapt a screw-on cap on the cell neck that vents? Or a bed shell topper that keeps everything dry?

This is a pressure cap with a gasket to meet emissions testing, but even with a stock cap liquids can get by the seal. I jumped the fuel pump and have drained most of the liquid out into a can.

This does technically give me an excuse to buy one of these soft truck bed covers. It would just make filling up a pain since it would have to be dropped every time to fill the tank. My current plan it to drill a hole in the non-structural collar allow drainage and then build a hinged cover for the top.

http://www.softopper.com/jeep-comanche-soft-top-truck-cap-details.aspx

• 3 weeks later...

I stopped by the Lander's DCJ dealership after the junkyard on Saturday. It was a $20 donation to enter a vehicle into the show. I figured why not just to be silly since I was doing to toss in the donation anyway.(They were giving away raffle prizes and free food!) Just imagine this mismatched paint, unpainted on some parts, faded paint, missing half the interior, various junk yard Comanche parts in the bed, and a bunch of loose tools on the passenger seat.

Tossed the hood up to show off the shiny engine bay to distract the judges.(To also hide the LKQ marks on the hood!)

k836yzR.jpg

The competition in the off road category was FIERCE! So much I must have scared them all off.

K5EHjnx.jpg

My shiny engine bay distraction plan must have worked. First place and a t-shirt just for showing up.

XJVptK7.jpg

n9Mi85V.jpg

Wo7jhKU.jpg

7aYjbJB.jpg

ITVwGjs.jpg

M1riLJk.jpg

MjuZPL7.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I really have not done much to it in the past two months. I needed to build a new computer which was been taking precedent over my slush funds, but I did make an update video today. Skip to 3:55 for running and driving. I have pretty much decided to paint it olive drab green assuming I can find a company that sells the darker version and not the yellowish version.

Monstaliner sells an actual OD green bedliner if you want to bedliner the whole thing...probably not, but its just an idea :dunno:

Hot Rod Flatz's olive drab green looks to be fairly close to period correct.

Thanks everyone, still so much work to do!

Monstaliner sells an actual OD green bedliner if you want to bedliner the whole thing...probably not, but its just an idea :dunno:

Hot Rod Flatz's olive drab green looks to be fairly close to period correct.

Thanks everyone, still so much work to do!

Tis final on the color! I just ordered filler, olive drab green, and primer.

Did you drill some holes in the base of the safety box around the fuel cap yet?  That would solve your water in fuel issue.....

That is plan and I have not yet! I am also building a lid for it as part of the protective cover. I plan to finish that up after painting since I will have to take the bed off again.