Alexia's 1987 To 1997 Comanche

Cool,  So what size/height front lift did you go with in the front?

I'm wondering if I go spring under in the rear, using the stock Cherokee Axle. how much lift I would gain?

Any Idea how much lift you gained before tires in the rear?

I'm also thinking about adding a Cherokee or Wrangler spring leaf in my rear leafspring packs to give me a some extra stiffness for towing.....

Thanks for the feedback!

I'm wondering if I go spring under in the rear, using the stock Cherokee Axle. how much lift I would gain?

I'm also thinking about adding a Cherokee or Wrangler spring leaf in my rear leafspring packs to give me a some extra stiffness for towing.....

Thanks for the feedback!

They are 5.5" Rubicon Express coil springs. With the 2WD leaf packs and a D44 axle it put the rear at 5.5" as well. 4WD leaf packs are thicker and will result in more lift.

Yes, 5.5" of lift before the tires.

Just watched your video an saw where you are going to run an xj gas tank where the spare was. Where are u putting gas cap? I thought of doing this myself and recessing it in the bottom of the bed.

Uh...

So I heard the Dakota tank option is really nice.

Yeah, I completely forgot about how to fill the tank.

Not going to try your hand at the Dakota tank?

That is what I mean, going do try that now. A 1997 Dakota just came to the local junk yard on Wednesday and looks to be complete. That should cover me for tank, pump, and sender all at once.

Not going to try your hand at the Dakota tank?

That is what I mean, going do try that now. A 1997 Dakota just came to the local junk yard on Wednesday and looks to be complete. That should cover me for tank, pump, and sender all at once.

Oh my bad I was on my phone and didnt see that. Make sure to post lots of pictures when doing it!!

And I might send you Pm tomorrow if I remember about doing a 98+ swap since I just picked up an MJ.

Has anyone researched what years Dakota gas tanks will have the correct fuel pump and sender I need for a 98' 4.0?  I need to start hitting the Boneyards for tank too, as I was planning on using the Chero tank... as well.  But a higher capacity Dakota tank would be good as my Jeep will be my Daily Driver.

:doh:

Thanks for the feedback!

XJ leafs from what Ive read will take away from your lift because the arch is different, hence why MJ leafs are used to lift Xjs

Has anyone researched what years Dakota gas tanks will have the correct fuel pump and sender I need for a 98' 4.0?  I need to start hitting the Boneyards for tank too, as I was planning on using the Chero tank... as well.  But a higher capacity Dakota tank would be good as my Jeep will be my Daily Driver.

:doh:

1997 to 2004 for the fuel pump assembly. Preferably then dropped into a ODBI style gas tank, 1991 to 1996. ODBII tanks will work with modification to the fill and vent locations.

Thanks for the info guys,  I currently think I'll go with 3" lift springs in the front, and 3" add-a-leafs in the rear (spring under).  Then I'll adjust for level with Shackles if need be.  I don't want to go over 3" per I want to replace as little suspension as possible right now.... but if setting up rear axle pinion angle, why not just do it once....

I'll see what I can find for fuel tanks, but some of the u-pull-it yards near me punch holes in the gas tanks to drain the fuel.... If I'm transfering the fuel sender and pump, could the Cherokee set-up be used with any dakota tanks?  I wonder if the depth would work in a OBD1 style tank?

Thoughts?

Thanks for the info guys,  I currently think I'll go with 3" lift springs in the front, and 3" add-a-leafs in the rear (spring under).  Then I'll adjust for level with Shackles if need be.  I don't want to go over 3" per I want to replace as little suspension as possible right now.... but if setting up rear axle pinion angle, why not just do it once....

I'll see what I can find for fuel tanks, but some of the u-pull-it yards near me punch holes in the gas tanks to drain the fuel....

Thoughts?

The local LKQ here drills a tiny hole then plugs it. I am going to replug it a bit more professionally.

Unfortunately I injured both my wrists the same weekend of working on removing the bed. I doing better now, but I have made little progress on my Jeep. I installed longer rear bump stops, custom bent new lines for the rear brakes, and installed the speedometer gear.

gallery_1_12_203782.jpg

med_gallery_1_12_80227.jpg

I swapped my doors but decided to stay with a 96 dash and column, however, after reading this post and seeing how you made a template to modify the firewall I will have to rethink my decision.... Nice Build, keep up the good work....

I swapped my doors but decided to stay with a 96 dash and column, however, after reading this post and seeing how you made a template to modify the firewall I will have to rethink my decision.... Nice Build, keep up the good work....

I never do something custom unless I come up with a way to make it easier to repeat.

Out in the garage painting the rear frame section before I spray under coating across it. Accidentally getting dizzy on paint fumes.

I am looking at a final $255 for a windshield to make this safe to drive and then that is it. I have a bunch of other fun items on the list though. I have a new Novak SK2SC transfer case shifter to install, but the transfer case is in 2WD already so that can wait a bit.

mvusse, on 19 Apr 2013 - 05:38, said:

Windshield is not required in most states, but you will have to wear a full face helmet, goggles, or safety glasses.

I will leave that duty for the Wrangler. :P The crack is in the center of the windshield where the rear view mirror mounts. Thus I can not get a mirror to stick there for long.

Did you install the Dakota tank yet? You gonna do a right up on it?

Typically the hacky things I do never gets posted. :P I will post pictures on it, but not too much for details. I can help you out if need to adapt your tank.

RockMJ, on 19 Apr 2013 - 19:06, said:

Been a LONG time since I checked your build last. Fantastic work my friend! I don't like those wheels on the JK's but they look proper on the MJ! I need another MJ soon!

RockMJ

Thanks! You should stop selling the Jeeps you build. :P Though they are fun to build.