Project "Black Betty"

I just wanted to start a thread to follow the build of my 86. She was given the name Black Betty for 2 reasons

#1 It is all black inside and out

#2 The damn thing gone wild! (You young bucks can Google search the song Black Betty if this eludes you)

Here she sits as I brought her home. Picked her up for a whopping $400. The AX 5 was shot and the seller had no time to mess with it. Too bad for him. This 2.5 is a great running truck.

Got a trans for $100 and the truck passed Cali smog on the first shot. I was in shock. A 20 year old 4 popper still ran like a 5 year old import.

I managed to find some 15X7 black mod wheels with some nice 31" tires for $100. Well that means you gonna need a BB to fit the 31s jamminz.gif Just as I got the tires on I had a fender bender! :eek: NOOOOO!

I rearended a 97 T-Bird doing 65 MPH. I was being tail gated and missed a shift and went from 5th to 2nd! That locked up the rear tires and bone head thought I brake checked him. He passed me in the turning lane on the left and then I was brake checked in return.

As you can see in the pics I hit him as he came out of the turning lane. All the damage to his car was on the right rear corner. My truck was all from the grill left. He lost. I totaled his car. I drove the truck home with this damage.

I was then deployed to Iraq as my truck sat in limbo with the insurance company. They were going to total out my truck. I did not even claim it? Had I not taken all the pictures of my truck and the scene I would have gotten screwed by Allstate. They never sent a Adjuster to look at the scene or either vehicle? Wierd huh? It took a total of 9 months for it to finally clear. All in all he was out a vehicle for 9 months and then got $1000 for his car. I smiled when I heard this. I did drop Allstate shortly after because of the way the treated me and handled the accident.

I returned home from Iraq and found a 2000 XJ in the yard and stole the front clip for the truck. At the same time I added early Ranger mirrors to the doors.

I am in the process now of stock piling all the parts to do a 5.5" lift to her. I have also started to make 2000 rear flares for it. It is hard and this is where it is right now.

I have also just iced out my grill yo!

The finished product should look like this, all in due time!

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

brake-checking sucks, i hate people that do that.

nice truck though! :bowdown:

I creamed some twat in a body-kitted cavalier while driving my buddy's 4" lifted '78 Suburban. Nothng like having his crapalier wedged underneath the bumper!

NICE MJ! we need more nice 4banger mj's, prove to DirtyComanche that they're as ballsy as the 6cyls. :brows:

NICE MJ! we need more nice 4banger mj's, prove to DirtyComanche that they're as ballsy as the 6cyls. :brows:

Yeah... Right... Silly 2.5 guys.

ballsy, yes.

torquey... no.

although some better gearing would sit well with my 4.0 BLEGH 3.07s suck, but thats not to say she won't get going anytime and anygear.

To answer some questions

final tire and rim size will be 32/11.50 on 15x8 Bajas

front clip takes about 2 hours, it is a bolt on

2.5 ballsy? You are on your own here. Future engine will be a SBC and that is Chrysler. I am a die hard Mopar man. Got a line on a 97 ZJ with a blown head gasket for $1500.

To answer some questions

final tire and rim size will be 32/11.50 on 15x8 Bajas

front clip takes about 2 hours, it is a bolt on

2.5 ballsy? You are on your own here. Future engine will be a SBC and that is Chrysler. I am a die hard Mopar man. Got a line on a 97 ZJ with a blown head gasket for $1500.

how do you swing a chrysler small block chevy? or does SBC stand for two different thigns?

Ive got a SBC 383 4spd from a Duster at my friend's barn. Thats for my next MJ, I like my 2.5L, burn mah wheels, decent mileage and it passed the emissions test running on 3 cyl's (I forgot to put the plug wire on the distrib)

Oiz.. Small Block Chrysler or Small Block chebby. make your pick, each end up as SBC :P

could always be SBM (smallblock mopar)

Ive got a SBC 383 4spd from a Duster at my friend's barn. Thats for my next MJ, I like my 2.5L, burn mah wheels, decent mileage and it passed the emissions test running on 3 cyl's (I forgot to put the plug wire on the distrib)

Oiz.. Small Block Chrysler or Small Block chebby. make your pick, each end up as SBC :P

could always be SBM (smallblock mopar)

how in the world do you have a small block mopar 383? when did they start making those? i have a big block mopar 383 out of a road runner...

or did the person put a 383 SBC into a duster? i have no idea why. mopars rule!!!! jamminz.gif

its a 383 and made this duster go like the hammers of hell, thats all I know haha. PO managed to force a 6pack onto it. Its a rednecked Mopar.

come to think of it, its probably a BBM, dirty enough to be the original motor, definately 30 years of road muck on it.

I completely forgot about Chev making a sb 383. This one is def. Mopar, block and heads are stamped, car has a VIN that comes back as a 383 made at Lynch Road assembly plant

Easy way to tell on Mopes is dist on the back=small block (A/LA) dist on front at an angle=big block (B/RB). Chev's 383 is actually a stroked 350 not a production engine. I got a 400 big block in the shop, same dimentions as the 383, and yer gonna have a fun time fitting that in there!!! jamminz.gif definatly gonna be a street sweeper!! :eek:

Can't wait to see the finished flares on the rear. She looks really good 8)

• 4 months later...
  • 3 years later...

It has been a little over 3 years since I sold Betty. She has been through at least 3 owners before she made it back into my hands. Special thanks goes to Dean for letting me buy the truck back and borrow his trailer to do it!

Dean is in no way responsible for the following pics!

Here she is in all her glory!

She is currently sporting the same wheels and tires I sold her with. The axles are factory geared XJ D30/D35 with 4:56s. She has a SOA rear and a mish mash of stuff up front to equal out to about 6"s or so.

She is still wearing the "billet" grille I made for it as well! jamminz.gif

For you factory black interior lovers please skip the next few pictures!

One of the PO decided to "rice" out the interior and paint it....

RED

I guess ruining a extremely rare dash and chucking a black bench was not enough. He decided to chop up the door panels too!

The 2.5/AX-5/NP207 combo is MIA as well. This leaves me in a bit of a pickle. Do I...

#1 Restore the truck to factory with the 2.5 combo?

#2 Drop a 4.0 stroker motor, AX-15, 231 into it?

or

#3 Shoehorn a 4.7 V8, 545RE trans, and a 247 transfer out of a WJ with a 97+ interior????

OH THE DECISIONS!!!! :D