Project "Black Betty"

The GM LT1's would return 25-26 mpg HWY even in boats like a Roadmaster so those numbers aren't out of line, I don't think. Adequate HP so the engine doesn't work itself to death in normal situations may aid in better MPG numbers?

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...
Awesome swap

Thank you. I have put her in a time out until I can procure the burgundy interior I want to use. I could go to black but I honestly think it is getting over done on these trucks. Once the interior is sorted all I need is drive shafts and a cooling system and she should be ready to blow up the D35. I do have a D44 waiting to be installed though.

• 2 weeks later...

I went today to pick up some free front fenders for the truck. When I got there to see a long lost friend of mine, Johnnyc, he had a present for me.

Not only did I get perfect 96- fenders he also gave a beautiful tailgate too! I have almost all the parts to finish putting the truck together!

• 4 weeks later...

I got hooked up today with a burgundy knee board for free. The only problem was it had some holes drilled for a fan switch and a power outlet. I was also just given a brake controller and a CB. After several hours of cutting, filing, and making suitable brackets this is how we solved the problem of the unwanted holes in the dash.

Since this truck will be used to tow the pop up and the Shelby on a trailer the brake controller is a must. If you are going to travel or wheel a CB is a must have as well.

It took Dakota and I about 5 hours start to finish but he is happy with the way they turned out. This is going to be his truck and the Shelby is going to be his restoration project. Not like it needs much, it only has 70K on it.

• 2 months later...

Not much of an update but, I finally got the shifters figured out.

I got my shifter setup finalized today. After buying a WJ shifter and realizing it would not work I was bummed and out $60. I modified MJ shifters the work with WJ knobs. That made the tears a little less bitter.

I went with the WJ setup for this reason,

The O/D button. With the 46RH trans I need a way to turn the O/D off and I wanted to make it look clean. I think this setup will work best.

I also finally was able to get my hood and latches figured out. I will not have to run hood pins. I am glad too. It took me 3 different hoods being destroyed before I got it right. I have more money in mock up parts than I do in the actual parts on the truck. I guess that is the name of the game when you do wierd things to cars.

• 2 months later...
  • 5 months later...

With the long weekend I decided to get Dakota out of the house and make him do some work on his truck.

He is filing out the holes on the hood for the new hood vents.

I decided to do something different with this set of vents. Everyone just cuts little "L" brackets to keep the vents on. That is too easy for me! I left tabs from the hood metal and bent them over to use as mounts. A few screws with some nuts and they are permanently attached to the hood.

Nice and clean. Just the way I like it. It was a real toss up if I wanted hood vents. I like to look of them though.

The vents sealed the deal for hood pins too. They give the truck a cool retro look.

With Betty being an 86 the hood latch and spring are next to impossible to use with the Magnum and my radiator choice. I tore apart some XJ hood latches and stole the springs.

The springs let the hood pop up nice and easy and will keep it from bouncing around.

What year is your ZJ donor? The year of the donor is a huge factor on the build direction. 93-95 is OBD-I and 96-98I is OBD-II.

The motor mounts are stock ZJ mounts with a 2" drop bolted to them.

The ZJ is a 94. The wiring doesn't scare me due to the fact I have a 1988 YJ that was a 258 which I swapped in an OBD 1 4.0L and a 1990 YJ that was a 258 that now has a OBD 2 4.0L and AW4. The great things about those swaps was I didn't have to deal with motor mounts.

You said you deleated the A/C? What did you do for a belt? Did you use the MJ fuel pump?

One of mine gets 15-17 and the other gets 19-21 easy. I can't explain it.

Great build Bo, you are the man! :bowdown:

Personally, I've never seen above 17.5 on my 5.9L V8, but I'm a member on a couple of ZJ-specific forums where members claim MPG ratings in the 19-24 range for their V8 Magnum engines. Almost hard to believe considering the size of the engine and its antiquated technology, but we'll see...

The president of my Jeep club drives a stretched YJ with a ZJ 5.2L on 36s and 4.88 gears and he claims around 17 MPG. That is compaired to the 13-14 MPG he was getting with his 4.0L.

I have a shorter belt and a delete pulley with the stock belt for which ever direction I choose. I used a HO MJ pump and sender in my stock tank. I had to replace all the wiring from the tank forward for the swap. It is all either 93+ XJ, 91 Mj, or 94 ZJ. There is also some Neon wiring in there too.

Great build! I dropped an LS1 in my Manch with next to no problems but the oil pan was super close to the front drive shaft yoke.

We had to add more lift and lower the bump stops to keep from destroying the bottom end when the suspension was at full tuck..

Just a heads up

• 3 weeks later...

The fuel pump died Monday.

I got the radiator mounted and the aluminum fan shround finished. The fan and controller I want is not in stock at CRF Performance. Once they get in I will have the cooling system finalized.

I am waiting on my tax return to order a B&M shifter and a few interior parts such as rear speakers and a head unit. Other than that not much to report.

about your wiring, i understand that the guages won't work, but why not just get a novak harness adapter and then swap your guages? seems simpler to me, but i also don't completely understand all the differences between the electronic systems in the 86 mj and the zj