Project "Black Betty"

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ryan, my rad goes under the support. I have about 2" from the mechanical fan to the radiator.

Tim, I am keeping the interior stock. I will be using HO gauges, dash, HVAC, and fuel system. That is why I went with a 93-95 ZJ donor. OBD I like the 93 XJ harnesses I used. I have a bunch of half completed projects at this point. Once the wiring is done I can finish all my started projects. I mocked a lot of stuff in place just to get the wiring done.

That motor is looking good in there but I don't think I'd ever take on a wiring project like that in my life!!!!

Keep on going! :wrench: :cheers:

Thanks man.

The wiring is not all that bad. As long as you use similar vintage donors it makes it a lot easier. Also once you break the systems down (PCM, PDC, fuse box) it get a lot easier.

• 2 months later...

I have most of the wiring done. I need to get the dash wiring and the cooling system sorted out then she will be good to go. I am hoping she is turn key by the end of summer. I have been busy with work and honey do's to make much progress.

How is yours coming along? I will be putting some pics up in the folder this weekend for your veiwing pleasure.

I have also been busy with work and getting down to Maryland to visit my GF, which means not much work on the projects...

I got the drivers mount just about finished. I cut and hacked the drivers mount from the XJ donor and "fused" it together with the ZJ mount. The end result was a couple of additional mounting points. I now have the motor mount tied into the trackbar bracket like it is on stock MJ/XJ's. I fiddled with the passenger mount a little more last night, but I think I need to drop the engine back into the bay to do another test fit before I start drilling holes and welding in studs.

I look forward to those pics. I'll get you some of my methods/fab work when I'm all done with it.

More wiring figured out. This is before cranking it up. (Sorry for the blurry pic) Check engine and seat belt lights work!

The washer bottle and master cylinder are empty. Notice the low fuel light and HO MJ fuel gauge are finally working.

In this pic she is running right after fire up. The washer and master cylinder were disconnected to turn the lights off. Notice the HO tach is adjusted perfectly to the thump of the V8. Also the check engine light is not on!!!

It took me two days to figure out why the tach and fuel gauge did not work. All is good now!

Now I will finish the rest of the wiring harness and bundle it up.

I just got the speedo working. All gauges check out and are working correctly. I need to get the transfer lights working and all will be good with the engine harness. I can finally start moving on to the hose and line mounting under the truck.

I think she may be up and running in the next three months or so.

T-case lights are now operational. I have been chopping out all the unused wires from the rest of the engine harness. It would seem that the VSS connector goes through the TCM on a XJ. I will have to run a single harness into the engine compartment for this wire. I could tap into a unused wire and run it that way but that will make trouble shooting it a mess later should I forget about that wire.

Next I have to shift the t-case 1 1/2"-2" towards the passenger side to get the VSS in and have the drive shaft clear the fuel tank a little better.

Once the t-case arrangement is finalized the entire drive train comes out to detail the engine bay, front suspension, axle, and floor boards.

One step at a time.

I got the last of the wiring figured out. We got the brake and reverse lights to play ball. The final piece of of the puzzle was the overdrive light. After many hours of looking at the stock switch and wiring diagrams I managed to turn my factory XJ up-shift light into the overdrive off light. I am going to use a Hurst V-Matic shifter with a roll control button to activate the OD.

The reason I am going with that style shifter is because my MJ has a column for a manual trans. This means that there is no shift interlock. I do not want the kids being able to yank it into gear by mistake. Plus I think they look real cool and fit the image of a 86 Retro-truck.

Good to hear it run, Ive been collecting parts for my 5.2 swap too. I have an 89 lwb, 4.0 with a Ba10-5 in it right now. I picked up a 92 Dakota with a 5.2 and a bad auto trans. I just didn't want to put an automatic trans in a stick truck, so I picked up a 93 Dakota with a 3.9 and an AX15 manual trans. I also bought a flywheel from a 5.2 Dodge 1500 to connect the ax15 trans to the 5.2. My brother in law found me some zj frame mounts in a jy, so now I just need some time to get rippin into it. I do have a couple questions though. What can be done to get the AC lines hooked up,, and is there any way to use my renix tach with the chrysler computer? My last dodge project was a 3.3 in a 91 daytona, and the tach worked as is in that one. Thanks, Mark

Good to hear it run, Ive been collecting parts for my 5.2 swap too. I have an 89 lwb, 4.0 with a Ba10-5 in it right now. I picked up a 92 Dakota with a 5.2 and a bad auto trans. I just didn't want to put an automatic trans in a stick truck, so I picked up a 93 Dakota with a 3.9 and an AX15 manual trans. I also bought a flywheel from a 5.2 Dodge 1500 to connect the ax15 trans to the 5.2. My brother in law found me some zj frame mounts in a jy, so now I just need some time to get rippin into it. I do have a couple questions though. What can be done to get the AC lines hooked up,, and is there any way to use my renix tach with the chrysler computer? My last dodge project was a 3.3 in a 91 daytona, and the tach worked as is in that one. Thanks, Mark

Thanks man, it sounds like you are on the right track. I am not running A/C in my truck and don't plan on it. I have not looked into any of the A/C stuff. I am sure you could always get new A/C hoses made at a shop. The renix tach will not work with the ChryCo ECM. The 5.2 ECM sends a dedicated signal to the coil and the tach. Where the Renix uses old school technology to run the tach. The 3.3 in the G body is a OBD-I to OBD-I straight swap. Thus the reason the gauge worked.

Are you good with wiring? It is not a easy thing to adapt the harness to run 5.2 at all. I did not even mention half of the things that need to be addressed in my build.

I am not trying to turn you off but it is a royal PIA the make the harness.

Good luck, Bo!

I think I can handle the wiring, I've put TBI setups in a couple of CJs and my 41 ford pickup, but the GM wiring is a lot simpler that this Dodge is. I have access to Mitchell wiring diagrams through where I work. I think the one thing that might save me is the fact that this is still obd1. Thanks for the advice and encouragement, I'll let you know how its going when I start into it.

Personally, I've never seen above 17.5 on my 5.9L V8, but I'm a member on a couple of ZJ-specific forums where members claim MPG ratings in the 19-24 range for their V8 Magnum engines. Almost hard to believe considering the size of the engine and its antiquated technology, but we'll see...

Personally, I've never seen above 17.5 on my 5.9L V8, but I'm a member on a couple of ZJ-specific forums where members claim MPG ratings in the 19-24 range for their V8 Magnum engines. Almost hard to believe considering the size of the engine and its antiquated technology, but we'll see...

One of mine gets 15-17 and the other gets 19-21 easy. I can't explain it.

Great build Bo, you are the man! :bowdown: