Project "Black Betty"

I went to the junk yard last week and saw a pretty nice XJ there. It had just recently been repainted. I went out to the garage this morning and stripped the fenders, header panel, and bumper off Betty. I made my way back to the yard and talked the owner into swapping all my miscolored parts for this...

She is back in all her sexy black glory! Not a bad upgrade for $20. I'm not sure if the vents will make their way back into this hood. It just looks so clean now.

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think I'm going to agree with you on the vents Don. It does look clean without them. I had the option to grab a chrome bumper. I was afraid it would wash out the chrome grille too much and just make it blend in. I think the black bumper makes the grille pop.

The only thing that really bothers me is I the radiator behind the grille. While the aluminum looks killer bare, it makes the grille disappear. I think I will hit the radiator with a high temp black paint to hide it. This should make the chrome stand out as well.

I blacked out the all-chrome grille slots w. semi-gloss black (rad too) because it was too much. It toned it down enough to support the chrome bumper I think. The Euro amber parking lights help too. This would pop with a black hood. If I ever repaint mine it will be black. :yes:

I blacked out the all-chrome grille slots w. semi-gloss black (rad too) because it was too much. It toned it down enough to support the chrome bumper I think. The Euro amber parking lights help too. This would pop with a black hood. If I ever repaint mine it will be black. :yes:

A big improvement would be to get rid of that cowl hood it really sucks. I know a bloke that would take it off your hands if you decide.

A big improvement would be to get rid of that cowl hood it really sucks. I know a bloke that would take it off your hands if you decide.

Plenty of local blokes have also offered to take it off my hands. And you're too far off mate; shipping would be a killer. :yes:

• 6 months later...

Plenty of local blokes have also offered to take it off my hands. And you're too far off mate; shipping would be a killer. :yes:

Shipping wouldnt be an issue for me...I'd come pick it up from you! Or at least let me come make a fiberglass mold!!

Anymore news on betty? This is probably the 5th or 6th time I've read this build through. Still intrigued and inspired by it!

So here is the thing. If that hood goes to any "bloke" it should be me. Its pretty much the right color, not to aggressive (to tall) and would be most aprapo on my MJ. Just sayin....

Yes, it would look très apropos on your pristine MJ. Because I feel magnanimous tonight, a special deal just for you is in order. This no longer available Reflexxion XJ/MJ cowl hood can be yours for a mere $2K, local pickup only. If shipping is required, I will build a custom crate with the hood braced and copiously bubble wrapped inside. An additional $500 should cover this. You may choose the freight company of your choice, and the merchandise is guaranteed to arrive in the same perfect condition as shipped, provided adequate insurance is arranged before shipping.

I'm truly not sure if its good or bad that I am seriously considering this deal!  My only hold back is the amount of $ I am about to dump into the 01 XJ.  I'm sitting home thinking yesterday, how much more over $2000k and just ship the whole truck...... :yes:

So here is the thing. If that hood goes to any "bloke" it should be me. Its pretty much the right color, not to aggressive (to tall) and would be most aprapo on my MJ. Just sayin....

Yes, it would look très apropos on your pristine MJ. Because I feel magnanimous tonight, a special deal just for you is in order. This no longer available Reflexxion XJ/MJ cowl hood can be yours for a mere $2K, local pickup only. If shipping is required, I will build a custom crate with the hood braced and copiously bubble wrapped inside. An additional $500 should cover this. You may choose the freight company of your choice, and the merchandise is guaranteed to arrive in the same perfect condition as shipped, provided adequate insurance is arranged before shipping.

• 4 months later...
  • 6 months later...

It truly is my Comanche's twin sister! Ravine rims, BFG tires, black 86, and I even got the EXACT same color of camper shell and model as yours. (even though I just painted it black) but it was the same color of white.

I have to see this in person one of these days.

• 2 months later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 1 year later...