Project "Black Betty"

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Today I dug out my favorite piece. I've been hoarding this for a few years. I have to give thanks to Adam for this as well.

Today I installed my MJ specific Visor.

1b5ccdf0c8555dad0333f41adb7d3640.jpg

a13d22f23bd767a634cefca6235d42ff.jpg

I also put a tire a carrier in the bed.

e6a80be374fe4f373400a4496d5ae3a2.jpg

• 1 month later...

Hello your swap/build is very helpful. I have a 95 dakota with the 5.9/ a518 with a little work done. Under the hood the wiring is already been cleaned up. I am considering just swaping the interiors to but really like the mj gauges. You spliced in the xj dash with the basic lights wiring correct? Or did you go between the mj ,xj ,wj? I just trying to decide on either the whole dakota harness or splice the 2.

Thank you for any advice thats a great looking set. O did you kill the dana 35 yet? lol 

• 4 weeks later...

Great build! Enjoying reading through it.

Long time lurker, find lots of great info here but don't have a MJ so never signed up.  Notice something that might help somebody out, on the tachometers in the 91-95-(96?)  instrument clusters Chrysler changed where the input comes from to the computer. So you can throw a 91 up cluster from a 6cyl in a 4 cyl and it will work accurately,  I think this is why when wired correctly it reads the v8 correctly as well.

You guys probably already know about this, I'm always messing with the wiring on the 85 xj and never mess with the 91-92 xj so didn't know until recently the input for the tach changed.

Anyway I'm enjoying reading about these old MJ builds, love seeing the old 2.8, 2.5 jeeps that never get any respect getting built up.

Cheers!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Might've missed it, Bo... what are you plans for a radiator? Looks like there would be interference with the steering box should you plan to be using the ZJ unit, yes? I'll be starting a 5.2 swap on my '86 soon as well.

What are your thoughts on a three core XJ/MJ radiator? I've got a nearly new copper three core in my XJ and I'm overly tempted to use it. Found an old build thread on another thread and the guy used a two core with his 5.2 swap... claimed it cooled it fine with a couple electric fans. I can't help but doubt.