Project "Black Betty"

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Know you're still test fitting Bo, but am curious about your cooling plan. That mech fan look like it really sticks out. Are you going dual electric fans w. a custom radiator? Cowl hood would be good too for topside room. :cheers:

Outstanding work as is your norm.

Thanks Chief,

I am going to chop the front cross member out and mount the rad on the front side of the core support. I want to keep the fan and shroud if at all possible.

I thought about a cowl hood. That would take away from my stock appearing look I am going for. The 6" lift and 33s are a little much but they work well on a LWB truck.

I thought about a cowl hood. That would take away from my stock appearing look I am going for. The 6" lift and 33s are a little much but they work well on a LWB truck.

Understand. Frankly, I'm not crazy about the cowl hood look, but nothing I've tried helps cooling better. It adds more real estate in the engine compartment, and the venting really lowers the underhood temps, especially in stuck traffic. Well, you have a ways to go before you're ready for that. :cheers:

It has been a little over 3 years since I sold Betty. She has been through at least 3 owners before she made it back into my hands. Special thanks goes to Dean for letting me buy the truck back and borrow his trailer to do it!

For you factory black interior lovers please skip the next few pictures!

One of the PO decided to "rice" out the interior and paint it....

RED

I guess ruining a extremely rare dash and chucking a black bench was not enough. He decided to chop up the door panels too!

I cannot stop looking at this. What kind of an idiot would do this and actually think it was going to be a good idea?

The motor mount drop brackets worked perfectly. The hood clears everything very nicely now.

I had to chop out the stock cross member. These things are super weak with that thing missing. I put this one in and gained some more room for a larger radiator.

The next move is the trans mount and chopping a hole in the floor for the transfer to fit.

EDIT:

This should fill the hole left up front fairly nicely! $88 off Ebay. Two core aluminum radiator. It is the perfect size at 22 w x 19 h.

180298_1555003682123_1446122050_31258335_1571423_n.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
angry eyes start grow on me. look good but still dk if should get oen for mine but nah. I already have angry eyes(my impreza)

When I had my SRT-4, there were a couple styles and I didn't really like most, but I must admit that I had a pair on mine for the majority of the time I owned it. If you like them, that's great; enjoy em.

angry eyes start grow on me. look good but still dk if should get oen for mine but nah. I already have angry eyes(my impreza)

When I had my SRT-4, there were a couple styles and I didn't really like most, but I must admit that I had a pair on mine for the majority of the time I owned it. If you like them, that's great; enjoy em.

yeah they pretty popular for srt4. almost every srt4 in tuner night have angry eyes.

Looks Familiar,...

Love the "angry eyes",..

DAMN! That is one sweet rig! I love the look of it!

That's it...

The eyes have it! They are staying.

Thanks man! I love it and its been on Comp duty for 5+ years

It gets abused,...

Not trying to hi-jack :)

• 2 weeks later...

I got a good bit of the mock up stuff done today. It got dark before I could snap any pics. I will try to get some in a few days.

I got the Y-pipe installed,

231 is bolted to the 46RH,

cross member and trans mount installed,

and lastly I got the air cleaner modified and looks stock.

Luckily I did not have to hack a hole in the floor. I have about 3/4" of clearance between the transfer and the floor.

Little by little she is slowly coming together. I still have a long way to go. But, hopefully I will be driving it this summer.

• 2 weeks later...

I got the wiring laid out in the engine bay. My plan to mount the CPU in the stock 86 location failed. There was not enough room to fit it between the dash and the firewall.

I mounted it instead in the stock ZJ location. Right in front of the blower motor. I had to tilt it down just a hair to make room for the wiring and A/C if I choose to use it in the future.

Anyone want a spaghetti dinner?

188314_1610429227727_1446122050_31345868_2895629_n.jpg

the CPU

190084_1610429467733_1446122050_31345869_3741321_n.jpg

I also got the PDC laid out

189571_1610428827717_1446122050_31345867_7866470_n.jpg

And lastly the alt and starter wiring is done.

188902_1610429827742_1446122050_31345870_1549273_n.jpg

Now that all that mess is figured out I can start soldering all them together to make one harness.