Specifics on XJ Tails

I've heard it a thousand times, and I know you all have too. The old story about how the XJ tails won't fit on an MJ even though people still like to try and say they will.

Just curious, as I've never taken apart XJ tails(mainly looking at the 84-96 ones here), what's the exact reasoning why they won't fit? :dunno: Also, anyone got a side by side shot of the two together? Reason I ask all this is because I've been thinking that I like the XJ tails a lot more than the MJ's... :nuts: :brows:

...what's the exact reasoning why they won't fit...

The exact reason don't fit because they are made for a completely different vehicle. Plain and simple. You've hear it a thousand times because it is true.

Anyway you want to make XJ tails fit is up to you.

Rob

...what's the exact reasoning why they won't fit...

The exact reason don't fit because they are made for a completely different vehicle. Plain and simple. You've hear it a thousand times because it is true.

Anyway you want to make XJ tails fit is up to you.

Rob

Jeez, no reason to bite my head off Rob. As I said before, I've never looked at the two side by side, and I've never bothered to look at how they mount onto the XJ; so I'm sorry if my question upset anyone. The only info I've ever heard on the subject is always everyone says they don't but I never read anyone's explanation as to why. :hmm:

As for the other replies, thanks... I guess? :cheers:

lol, not a head-biter conversation. I'm sure Rob meant nothing harmful by the way he said anything.

I'm sure he simply wants to grind it down that they're not cross compatible in any way. he's probably had just as many arguments as I (and many others) have had with people who stubbornly and honestly believe that they're identical, when they're not even close.

-Pat

lol, not a head-biter conversation. I'm sure Rob meant nothing harmful by the way he said anything.

I'm sure he simply wants to grind it down that they're not cross compatible in any way. he's probably had just as many arguments as I (and many others) have had with people who stubbornly and honestly believe that they're identical, when they're not even close.

-Pat

hit-the-nail-on-the-head.jpg

No harm meant. You put emphasis on part of your question, I put emphasis on part of my reply. Pat hit the nail on the head. I've battled with people to much to sugar coat it anymore. Won't happen. Well, it will, if you either have deep pockets and a hole in the wallet, or you have a little Jim Oshel in ya, and do it just because you want to.

Rob

-Pat

hit-the-nail-on-the-head.jpg

No harm meant. You put emphasis on part of your question, I put emphasis on part of my reply. Pat hit the nail on the head. I've battled with people to much to sugar coat it anymore. Won't happen. Well, it will, if you either have deep pockets and a hole in the wallet, or you have a little Jim Oshel in ya, and do it just because you want to.

Rob

I feel ya', especially because I know how battling w/ people goes. No harm meant, and I'm glad it didn't come down to having an ITG debate; there's already too much of that $#!& going on around the rest of the web. :cheers:

Rule #2: Absolutely NO apologizing for asking questions!!! That is what we're here for, answering each others questions. There's no need to feel bad because you are unsure of something or if you couldn't find what you were looking for using the "search" feature. We all start at the bottom of the knowledge ladder and there's only one way to climb up. I encourage you to ask whatever is on your mind. :D The flip side of this coin is please do not yell at people to use the search.

Well I'm about to try and fab 97+ tail lights into my MJ bed. I'll let you all know how it goes. I can say that there is no question its gonna take some time and metal body work to make it happen.

yup, its been done. :D but with some metal fabbin' effort for sure. now if i could just find that stupid photo.... :hmm:

Jeez, no reason to bite my head off Rob. As I said before, I've never looked at the two side by side, and I've never bothered to look at how they mount onto the XJ; so I'm sorry if my question upset anyone. The only info I've ever heard on the subject is always everyone says they don't but I never read anyone's explanation as to why.

Short, simple answer is that they won't fit because they are different.

Short, simple answer is that they won't fit because they are different.

And the same thing applies to the early Dakota tail lamps unfortunately, even though they look similar. MJ tail lamps are unique animals, there are no easy substitutes w/o a whole lot of body work. That's why NOS MJ tail lamps sell upwards of $350/pair.

Nah, it can be done with enough duct tape, don't listen to these guys. :cheers:

Duct tape and Gorilla Glue........Speaking of which, I'm gonna put some gorilla glue on a non stick pan and prove someone wrong tonight! :cheers:

• 1 month later...

whats strange is i bought a 88 xj last year and when i raised the hatch i noticed one of the tail lights must have been replaced because written on the exposed side is "1986 jeep comanche" written grease pencil. wth with that? so i always wondered if they would fit but i guess now i know........