H3RESQ's Dream MJ, the build continues...

We talked a little after the interest in the bed sliders. We are not interested in starting any kind of business of do-it-yourself kits or anything. Best luck would be if you live close and he has the extra time to take your rig and do the work you want done in his shop.

I was wondering if your buddy who does Fabrication would consider offering rear side armor like you have that wraps around and uses a flat style tail light. Nobody offers this and I want one bad.  A buddy of mine has the same deal on his TJ but had a shop make it out of aluminum to save weight......

• Replies 840
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks.... I was just checking, I really like the way your is done and was just wondering if he might be interested.  I can get them done around here but it's much easier with a pattern.....

Thank you very much sir. :cheers:

hey just read most of your build thread it is awesome after i bought my comanche i saw you at Jeep Jam man your jeep is awesome just want you to know that

So, my Jeep weighs in at 5000lbs on the button with Kate and I inside. So loaded for trail with tools, spares, cooler and camping gear it probably pushes 5500lbs. Day runs its probably around 5300lbs. On a side note my M100 bantam trailer weighs 500lbs empty!

Well as many on here know I put the MJ up for a moment for sale, and realized I just really didn't want to sell it. The reason to sale was I need four seats so the kids can tag along. Well I have been hunting for the last month for a good family wagon that was built well enough to handle what I like to do, be cheap enough to keep the MJ, and so on. Well I found it, and picked it up today.

Its body is very rough, interior is surprisingly clean and has a pretty solid build sheet.

1998 5speed!!! Jeep Cherokee.

70k on fresh longblock

ax15

tera 4:1

31 spline Currie HI9 SHAVED rear axle with full detriot

31 spline Currie Hi9 SHAVED front, D30 knuckles, WARN hub conversion 31 spline, YUKON heavy spring limited slip

1 ton drivelines

rear bumper/ tire carrier

ROc steering brace

Braced steering box and drag bracket

Currie correct link steering

35's

ARB front bumper w/9000lb mile marker

Roof rack

Rigid LED lights

ADJ. Rubicon Exspress short arm

Bilsiens.

A ton of fresh parts in last year, pile of receipts for motor, axles, recent upgrades/repairs (new joints, lower links, drivelines, shocks, rear springs, etc.)

$4500

I think its a pretty good deal, we will see on Thursday for positive when I start cleaning it up and really going through it......

and a pic...of course more to come and probably a thread in the non-mj section.

Cheers....

Nice equipment list.  I'm interested in knowing more about the steering box bracing.

Are those the old Olympic 4x4 rock sliders?  If so you may want to consider replacing with something a little more stout if you think you may end up taking any decent hits in that area.

Willy

I have no idea what brand sliders. The tube isn't thick and they don't seem all that great. If they smash up pretty easy I will of course replace them.

The C-roc brace or whatever its called wraps around the frame were box bolts on (I had same brace on a 01 XJ a few years ago), it also has a brace going across from passenger frame to base of box, right at pitman arm. Also has a brace from passenger side to the drag link bracket. So the front has been beffed up about as well as possible.

I'll have a lot better idea of everything tomorrow when I really have time to look at it, drive it, and hopefully get it offroad this weekend and see better how it works.

Nice equipment list.  I'm interested in knowing more about the steering box bracing.

Are those the old Olympic 4x4 rock sliders?  If so you may want to consider replacing with something a little more stout if you think you may end up taking any decent hits in that area.

Willy

I have no idea what brand sliders. The tube isn't thick and they don't seem all that great. If they smash up pretty easy I will of course replace them.

The C-roc brace or whatever its called wraps around the frame were box bolts on (I had same brace on a 01 XJ a few years ago), it also has a brace going across from passenger frame to base of box, right at pitman arm. Also has a brace from passenger side to the drag link bracket. So the front has been beffed up about as well as possible.

I'll have a lot better idea of everything tomorrow when I really have time to look at it, drive it, and hopefully get it offroad this weekend and see better how it works.

Willy

I was wondering if it was the C-Rok.  I used to run one of those on both my last XJ and the MJ until I built bumpers for them.  They seem to do the job well.

They look a lot like the Olympic sliders from that picture.  If they do bend they will most likely smash up the rockers too.

Willy

Well crap, ya those look just like the ones it has. So I guess that is something I will address soon. Not sure why considering the rig has dents on every part of the body...but probably because with new door skins, rear gate, fenders I can have it pretty much straight bodied again, so I don't want he rockers smashed up.....that said I better go look and make sure they are not already. I did notice they are welded on rather than bolted on. I can deal with that though...

Well good news since I got home last night is, it has not leaked a single drop anywere on my garage floor. That is a good start. Also, every single light on it works....I know WOW!!  On lunch, snapped a couple pics. As you can see I have already removed all the stickers on rear drivers side window. I will remove all the other stickers tonight/tomorrow...

@#$%ing COOL factor!!!!  I don't know.....lol. I let it sit and run for a LONG time and it didn't get hot...so I don't know. Honestly, I think it was installed just cause...

What is the hood scoop for?

Willy

...maybe they thought it would get more air to the intake. I got a box of spare parts and pre bent tube fenders with it. In the box was a all drilled out air box, it now has a normal air box...so...

So, the body being so beat up had me wondering the background of vehicle. How hard it had been wheeled. The P.O. had only had it a year. Prior owner before him was a rich kid. Well I am guessing the kid was either a really bad driver or just thought it looked cool to have a hammered up body. I say this because you would expect the underside of the Jeep to show heavy use considering the body. Well it doesn't. The unibody rails are almost completely unscathed, the sliders barely have any scuffs on the bottom sides and the gas tank does not show any scuffs/gouges and does NOT have a skid (I will address that right away)  I don't think this Jeep was ran nearly as hard as the body would make you think.  This makes me happy for the rigs reliability and longevity, but really disappoints me in the sense of this kids disrespect for a clean XJ. Clearly not even trying to keep it off trees, probably almost purposely letting it rub whenever possible. Amazing really.

I know the owner that ha that Jeep, he's the guy you bought it from. Jason, if it's the same guy. Anyway yea he took good care of the rig, but it did take some good abuse! I have heard some stories of full flight in it. I believe it is on it's second 9" front axle as he bent one pretty good jumping it. But it should be a damn good rig for the family wheeling trips. How does it drive down the road at speed? Good luck with the build make sure to post up a link to the build thread if you create one for it!