H3RESQ's Dream MJ, the build continues...

Was thinking JK, but I just can't be like everyone else. I think it is time for my other favorite (second behind MJ's) a commando.

Dang dude youre selling it? That sucks. :/ but 4 doors? Hopefully you buy an Xj then :thumbsup:

Dude cammandos done up right are bad @$$!

• Replies 840
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I love the interior in that truck and have sourced the same color from a XJ..... my only question is do you know how the guy you bought it from matched the factory light grey B Pillar trim with the new darker colored trim?  Thanks in advance.... and I'd like to say that is the finest MJ I've ever seen.... Just a thought but it would probably be cheaper to stretch that MJ into a Quad Cab.... JK's are pricey you know.....

Ya, he used interior paint. I'm guessing he sanded it down, and sprayed it. Just like they do on Ricer interiors. It has held up except were your foot hits it as you get in the truck. I used vinyle wrap in that area to make it look better because eventually the lighter gray started showing through a bit.

As for the JK, I have actually continued to have a hard time with the ideal of owning one. I will most likely build a Commando bull nose.

I love the interior in that truck and have sourced the same color from a XJ..... my only question is do you know how the guy you bought it from matched the factory light grey B Pillar trim with the new darker colored trim?  Thanks in advance.... and I'd like to say that is the finest MJ I've ever seen.... Just a thought but it would probably be cheaper to stretch that MJ into a Quad Cab.... JK's are pricey you know.....

Put fresh Comanche stickers on the doors today. Not sure what the "factory original" size was but I did 1" x 12 3/4". If anyone wants some let me know, I am sure my sticker guy could make more. I would guess he would charge $20 for a couple sets, but would have to ask for sure. I'll get some pics up tonight...

Thanks, that's what I figured he did. I did that to my Camaro interior and it didn't hold up very well either. The second time around I laid the parts out in the hot sun for about an hour to open up the material then used Bullydog adhesive promoter and still couldn't get the plastic paint to wear very well. As for the JK I think my problem is the same problem I have with all the soft tops..... if you've seen one you've seen them all.... no personality.

Ya, I was super stressed at the idea of getting rid of it. I really want the kids to be able to enjoy the outdoors, camping, wheeling. So we talked about it more, I think she could see I was depressed but want kids/family first. We worked it out, she doesn't want me to sell it either. So, just going to do something mellow/inexspensive for camping/kids, I don't really need to be bringing them on crazy extreme trails anyway.

so glad you are keeping it. Just build a mild cherokee for camping and family stuff.

I'm glad too. Was gonna go crazy on a jk or comando. Instead keep this and build a mild wheelr, well kinda expedition grand I think...or something. I want something I could DD and let Kate drive anytime. So thinking IFS grand with quadradrive so no lockers. So should drive great and still handle mellow trails, some snow, and groceries.

Ya, I was super stressed at the idea of getting rid of it. I really want the kids to be able to enjoy the outdoors, camping, wheeling. So we talked about it more, I think she could see I was depressed but want kids/family first. We worked it out, she doesn't want me to sell it either. So, just going to do something mellow/inexspensive for camping/kids, I don't really need to be bringing them on crazy extreme trails anyway.

That is great to hear.  I can't even imagine what it would be like to sell that after all the work you put into it.

so glad you are keeping it. Just build a mild cherokee for camping and family stuff.

I'm glad too. Was gonna go crazy on a jk or comando. Instead keep this and build a mild wheelr, well kinda expedition grand I think...or something. I want something I could DD and let Kate drive anytime. So thinking IFS grand with quadradrive so no lockers. So should drive great and still handle mellow trails, some snow, and groceries.

Booooo on the IFS - unless you are building a KOH car.   :thwak:

WJ or ZJ only.  I wouldn't mind building a WJ.  The prices are reasonable, they are great on the street for daily driving, they are really good for mild wheeling, still fairly simple suspension, etc., and plenty of aftermarket support.

I just can't even begin to make myself even consider anything with IFS that I plan to engage the transfer case in.

Willy

I built a 01 WJ back in 05 already....

With quadra II and 32's, some sliders, underskids, and a winch a 05-08 Grand should do just fine. btw stock WJ's have cv shafts and a low pinion in the straight axle. Junk for such a heavy rig and while small still a v8. I was the first person that I know of  to actually figure out how to make a u-joint shaft/toner(toner ring for speedo not same as TJ) ring work. WJ's are 5on5 bolt pattern and wider axle than ZJ/TJ/XJ/etc. Now you can just throw a JK rubi axle in them I suppose. But mostly, don't want to build a WJ again.

I also may consider 4runner or fj80 or?  Honestly would not mind finding something already built. Jeep first choice but doesn't have to be. Gonna kinda let Kate pick what she likes...

That is great to hear.  I can't even imagine what it would be like to sell that after all the work you put into it.

>>> 

Booooo on the IFS - unless you are building a KOH car.   :thwak:

WJ or ZJ only.  I wouldn't mind building a WJ.  The prices are reasonable, they are great on the street for daily driving, they are really good for mild wheeling, still fairly simple suspension, etc., and plenty of aftermarket support.

I just can't even begin to make myself even consider anything with IFS that I plan to engage the transfer case in.

Willy

haha, ya there sick....but they don't fit Washington trails well. The WJ I had was a tight squeeze, if it were not for having a Atlas (front digs) I would have had more dents in it. Why I probably will not get a FJ80, there just a little to big.

Grand Wagoneer with the 360 would fit the whole family  :brows:

I actually had a 2dr XJ with a  small block swap. Didn't dig it. I want something better appointed....and VERY reliable(stock drivetrain) Oh, and have you seen how hard it is to get in the back sets of an XJ 4dr? Basically, it has to be "cute" and "comfortable" for Kate. If we have two "offroad" rigs one has to be all about her. I have mostly been looking at 03-05 4runner v8's and 05-07 Grands. A low mile WJ would not be out of the question. My ideal rig would be a 07 Grand 3.0 CRD!!!!  Think of this as being more "expedition" and less "wheeler" than my MJ. Its all about Kate and the kids on this build.

What ever you get, you will play with you know you won't be able to help yourself lol.
So why not XJ = compact, with LS1 conversion

Hmmm, looked at a couple Commanders today.  We really want something with 3rd row. Even though I will rarely have it in the rig, it would be nice to be able to haul kids friends or 2 couples on date night.

3rd row would limit us to 04+ 4runners (super rare option, but they did make them) or Commandos  (rather than Grand, that does not offer it)....but I also really like that 07 CRD Grand!  oh decisions....