H3RESQ's Dream MJ, the build continues...

Did you have any thoughts of putting a bar across the base of the windshield?

Willy

Wes and I talked and thought about it a lot. Its just to dang ugly to add one. I felt that with the slider welded full length of cab, the tub gusseted full length under fender to the cab and the fact that the A pillar/firwalls all unibody and all part of "frame" that it is strong enough without it. I'm sure you noticed the excessive triangulation and support ons rear cab hoop, that is to make sure head are doesnt deform on a big roll.t I may add a tube from just under fender up to the coilover/crossbar area down the road if I see any flex from cage while rubbing trees or something of that sort. The cage will be plenty stout to protect in a rollover, worse case would be some cab damage. I hate exo's with a passion, but I love my lady and her two kids...so its to protect themand me so I gave in, but just can't give in to a ugly lower bar.

• Replies 839
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey guys. I want to say thanks for all the compliments and kind words. I have to give credit to Wes Hepp on this last set of upgrades. He did an amazing job on the suspension, cage, and front bumper. He also did an amazing job putting up with and working with my opinions, concerns, and odd ball wants for this portion of my build.

So, thanks for the compliments and cheers to Wes for taking my MJ a step above what I wanted and expected it could be.

Did you have any thoughts of putting a bar across the base of the windshield?

Willy

Wes and I talked and thought about it a lot. Its just to dang ugly to add one. I felt that with the slider welded full length of cab, the tub gusseted full length under fender to the cab and the fact that the A pillar/firwalls all unibody and all part of "frame" that it is strong enough without it. I'm sure you noticed the excessive triangulation and support ons rear cab hoop, that is to make sure head are doesnt deform on a big roll.t I may add a tube from just under fender up to the coilover/crossbar area down the road if I see any flex from cage while rubbing trees or something of that sort. The cage will be plenty stout to protect in a rollover, worse case would be some cab damage. I hate exo's with a passion, but I love my lady and her two kids...so its to protect themand me so I gave in, but just can't give in to a ugly lower bar.

I really need to get a cage on mine. I've had a lot of the same ideas. I'm also not a fan of exo-cages, but there just isn't enough room in the cab. It may almost be too dangerous with passengers constantly banging their heads on tubing.

I've also considered tying the cage to the roof to help stiffen things up and add top support instead of just having everything attached towards the feet. Maybe add some tabs to bolt it to the rain gutter and have all the roof tubes come together in the middle that is then attached to a plate bolted to the roof.

Hey guys. I want to say thanks for all the compliments and kind words. I have to give credit to Wes Hepp on this last set of upgrades. He did an amazing job on the suspension, cage, and front bumper. He also did an amazing job putting up with and working with my opinions, concerns, and odd ball wants for this portion of my build.

So, thanks for the compliments and cheers to Wes for taking my MJ a step above what I wanted and expected it could be.

Is Wes available for mentoring? ;) I don't just want to pay somebody to build a cage for me. I want to build it myself and learn. It would be great to have somebody around who has already been through the mistakes that I will surely encounter. :yes:

Willy

Willy,

To be honest I think with Wes it would be drop it off and pay for it. I have known him and wheeled with him for years. I planned to be there everyday working with him. He has three kids and the reality was it just didnt work. I finally just let him have at it so he could work on it on his time. He didnt have the time to be slowed down by me or to work around my schedule.

Willy,

To be honest I think with Wes it would be drop it off and pay for it. I have known him and wheeled with him for years. I planned to be there everyday working with him. He has three kids and the reality was it just didnt work. I finally just let him have at it so he could work on it on his time. He didnt have the time to be slowed down by me or to work around my schedule.

LOL! Understood. :thumbsup:

Thanks,

Willy

Very impressive cage. This MJ was impressive even before you got your hands on it, and now it's just spectacular. :clapping:

A few more questions:

• 1. Did you friend use Bend-Tech or a similar software?
    2. Which Manufacturer/Model Tube Bender did he use?
    3. What Make of Bead Locks are those?

Sorry if these questions are answered elsewhere.

Very impressive cage. This MJ was impressive even before you got your hands on it, and now it's just spectacular. :clapping:

A few more questions:

• 1. Did you friend use Bend-Tech or a similar software?
    2. Which Manufacturer/Model Tube Bender did he use?
    3. What Make of Bead Locks are those?

Sorry if these questions are answered elsewhere.

Yes, bendtech, j2squared set up air over hydraulic, and beadlocks are just do it yourselfs that I grabbed off craigslist when my Allied broke in half. They are temporary till I decide what wheels I want.

To answer other question about trimming....the snips are broke so i just used air cut off and then smoothed with air and a grinding bit. Off course tapped it all first to avoid chipping paint.

• 2 weeks later...
We need updates...

Been working my arse off. 12+ hrs today and tomorrow. Leaving thursday morning for rubicon and fordyce.....

Will update during trip with pictures :)

What days will you be on the trail? We are doing the Rubicon Monday and Tuesday and Fordyce Creek Thursday and Friday.

Willy

We need updates...

Been working my arse off. 12+ hrs today and tomorrow. Leaving thursday morning for rubicon and fordyce.....

Will update during trip with pictures :)

What days will you be on the trail? We are doing the Rubicon Monday and Tuesday and Fordyce Creek Thursday and Friday.

Willy

Were hitting rubicon this friday bout 12a out of georgetown. Coming out sunday. Fordyce monday and tuesday.

If you see a couple doucebags flip them off for me (they will be on trail same as you) they will be in a coilovered green toyota tacoma and a red YJ. :D