H3RESQ's Dream MJ, the build continues...

What is your infatuation with "tanks" ? :D

J.K.

In your first description you mentioned a rear tire carrier bumper, but I'm not seeing it in the pics. :hmm:

With that 5 speed, it will make a nice tow rig for the manche. lots of spare parts...

• Replies 839
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

http://comancheclub.com/topic/39510-h3resqs-family-wagon-xj-build/

Ya, got it from Jason.  And storys of it getting air does not surprise me. Makes sense why the underside isn't skinned up to bad. It seems like is was bashed, ran hard, country wheeled shall we say more than trail "wheeled". All the same it seems solid, has good parts, and most important drives good now.

I drove it for about a hour or more last night. It drives good. Other than classic feel of a Detroit with a manual its pretty solid. Steering is actually real solid, I am sure this is in part due to all the fresh parts, and part to do with all the front bracing Box has brace/ trac bar bracket brace both cross to other side of "frame". It is a bit "floaty" but that is about it. I think a little weight in the back will help with that.

Freeway seems good, no weird habits or anything.

The one thing I will say is, this xj made me truly realize how great my MJ drives. I drive a Yukon day to day and so I only had that to compare to my MJ and just kept messing and messing with the MJ trying to get it driving to what I thought it should. Well wow, this drives good for what it is, but my MJ just floats down the road and drives so dang well.

The XJ would be A LOT better with a  selectable rear locker...

I know the owner that ha that Jeep, he's the guy you bought it from. Jason, if it's the same guy. Anyway yea he took good care of the rig, but it did take some good abuse! I have heard some stories of full flight in it. I believe it is on it's second 9" front axle as he bent one pretty good jumping it. But it should be a damn good rig for the family wheeling trips. How does it drive down the road at speed? Good luck with the build make sure to post up a link to the build thread if you create one for it!

Ya, not sure. Guess I should get a dog and name it Tank or something..

The tire carrier bolts to that rear bumper, but honestly its pretty shady. It is actually what caused the dent in rear hatch. I don't think I will be running it.

Yes, the 5 speed is nice. I think the kids might end up with memories of learning to drive a stick with this rig. Its pretty nice that both my MJ and XJ are 5 on 5.5 bolt pattern and both run Warn hubs!!

What is your infatuation with "tanks" ? :D

J.K.

In your first description you mentioned a rear tire carrier bumper, but I'm not seeing it in the pics. :hmm:

With that 5 speed, it will make a nice tow rig for the manche. lots of spare parts...

I bolted a box down in the back finally, Buffy (the xj) inherited the green box that I was using. This one fits a full oil change, trans fluid, steering fluid, diff fluid, a full spill kit, cables, spare parts, a heavy supply of tools, first aid supplys and more.

Obviously a trailer box but it just fit so well.

Well I have decided to drive rather than trailer for my upcoming trip. That was the idea of the build, drive it, wheel it, drive it home. We will be heading to Florence to meet some friends for a little dunes action, then on to Trukee to meet up with some other friends to run Fordyce and the Rubicon. After that we will make a quick side trip over to Lincoln to say hi to my parents, sister and her kids. (I still do not understand why my sister and parents transplanted from Washington to Cali :dunno: ). Then back to Washington.

I plan to try and keep up on the trip as we go with pictures and short storys as the trip progresses. We leave Wed. the 31st in the evening so keep an eye out.

Jason

She is loaded up and ready to go. Noticed a small drip yesterday (antifreeze), after inspection realized the overflow bottle for radiator had a small leak. Through a new one in along with fresh fluid in the transmission. I think she is set and ready....I am off work today at 2:30.....boy is it gonna be a LONG day at work till 2:30 rolls around!!

Played around in Florence today. Great time. Were in Yreka now.

Here are some pics and a video going through some foot and a half or so deep whoops at speed. The quality is awful but I am working on getting better one on youtube.

Fordyce was epic today, went in from last winch hill and ran down to water crossing and then back out through all the winch hills. Jeep was flawless and drove the whole thing without a hitch. Just gotta pay attention with the little 35's. Got a ton of attention on the trail...

Ill get some pics up soon...but as always I sucj and didnt get hardly any...was busy wheelin!

Well my buddy Brandon is on this trip with me, and he likes to ride the tough spots. He only got out once so here is the pics, all from one winch hill. Not much....but I think guys I went with got some so ill try to get those and post them too.