any ways to add extra power real cheap

Supercharge it with a leafblower. Don't laugh at this. If you don't believe me, check out the new issue of HotRod. They put two craftsman leaf blowers onto an intake...Seriously! They got lots of extra ponies...Of course would be noisy and only good until the leafblower ran out of gas! If you were doing any drag racing I guess it would work. I thought it pretty clever how they did it.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

kenbob is kidding (I hope).

assuming there's nothing actually wrong with it (like a failing fuel pump or plugged injectors or bad sensor), the reason your truck feels slow is the gear ratio in the axles. a better gear ratio will give you much more kick in the pants than any basic engine mod you can do. I'm not exaggerating. and your truck will feel even worse with the bigger tires and no gear ratio change. been there, done that, learned my lesson.

well i been pondering the leafblower idea and in all perspective it seams like it would work just like a supercharger it would force more air into the motor its along the same line aint i right

With more airflow coming in, you'll also need more fuel coming in, therefore necessitating the Mustang 5.0L injectors or anything that will work that has a higher flow rate. Some might even venture to say that you would need larger exhaust as well, to relieve the extra backpressure it may cause.

I've always found adding parts from performance cars added a few ponies. For instance I installed some Porsche interior lights and side markers and immediately noticed more response off the line. But this works conversely as well. I made the mistake of replacing my stock speakers with some nice VW beetle speakers, and it wiped out all the performance gains from the Porsche parts.

ok so antidisestablishmentarianism will my dual door speakers do there 135watts with blue led lights

Something like 100hp, talk to the Honda guys. Also they did tests and it is proven that all the performance benefits of a nitrous oxide system are actually caused by the NOS decals. So to save some cash just buy the biggest decals you can afford and slap 'em on the side.

I'm just wantin to know antidisestablishmentarianism all people have done to add more power to there comanche's for real cheap

4 or 6 ? ok one mod cheap and works well ...please don't flame me on this one ! get some new ford 300 '' rocker arms that knocks the lift in the mid .400's without spring bind or wear...

I'm just wantin to know antidisestablishmentarianism all people have done to add more power to there comanche's for real cheap

4 or 6 ? ok one mod cheap and works well ...please don't flame me on this one ! get some new ford 300 '' rocker arms that knocks the lift in the mid .400's without spring bind or wear...

Wait what? I've been working with Jeeps for a few years now and I've never heard this one before. How did you come across this?

well i been pondering the leafblower idea and in all perspective it seams like it would work just like a supercharger it would force more air into the motor its along the same line aint i right

your motor already sucks more air at WOT than any silly leaf blower can spit out. if it actually worked, we'd all be doing it.

Wait what? I've been working with Jeeps for a few years now and I've never heard this one before. How did you come across this?

I wanna know too. The rockers are the same on the 2.5 as the 4.0. We've been doing this trick on air cooled VW's forever... adding higher ratio rockers increases valve lift for better breathing without adding a cam. We need to confirm this somehow!

Bored throttle body,

C.A.I,

Free flowing exhaust.

If it's a renix put a H.O. manifold on (yes it will fit just needs some slight notching)

Ford 5.0 injectors

I really noticed a power difference with this. I have 31's a 5 speed and stock gears (3.07's, and can actually gain speed in 5th gear now).

Just make your motor more efficent. It needs air fuel and spark. As mentioned a full tune up (Spark). cold air (air) and the ford 5.0 injectors (Fuel) Throw in the free flowing exhaust and you might gain 15 hp max.

I was kidding about the leaf blower to a point. It isnt practical for daily use, unless you happen to use your truck for lawn and garden work, then that leaf blower would be right there and handy. The hot rod article had performance test with 1 blower, 2 blowers, and 2 blowers + nitrous oxide.

gears, gears, gears. but they aren't cheap. the cheapest way to get lower gears is to find a cheap XJ or MJ with lower gears than you have now, buy the whole thing, swap the axles, then sell off the leftovers.

don't ever waste your money improving a Dana 35.

I wrapped 2 rolls of duct tape around my Dana 35. Ain't broke it yet.

i always found stickers to improve my horsepower. some say 5hp, some say 10hp, some will even be bold enough to claim 15hp. i have dyno'd my jeep with exactly 2 stickers on it (one NOS, and one Summit Racing) and noticed a 7.6 hp gain. both stickers were free.

sorry, those only work on honda's ;)

edit: you guys said aout lowering gear? you mean higher gear (higher the number of gear ratio)?

edit 2: most cheap way to improve performance is stripping the weight. its FREE with no cost. all you need is your tools! :roll:

Yes weight loss is a proven way to go faster. But what to remove? :dunno:

bed, hood, rollbar(if have one), everything interior, replace seat to plastic like gamer seat :clapping:, doors, windows, etc. replace hood with carbon fiber

ok i have been working for 30 some years on cars and trucks plus a bit of racing too...we found to cheat at times if a configuration of a different part is close and get a gain ,it may be overlooked by the techy ,hey we win ....i had to seal my valve cover one day ,4 years ago and seen the rockers ...said damn i seen this rocker arm config before .....next went to the tool box found one new in the package ...match it up the fulcrum point its about a 1/8'' closer to the pivot .next i took one rocker arm off one put it on turned engine slowly with feeler gauge at the highest point lift over .050 spacing -no binding turned the rest of the way slowly ....win ok all stop got more of them but one trouble was the valve cover ... the plastic one part of the pcv baffle area will hit so grind or cut [easy]so no hit is done --hand turn of engine is needed .... i have 60,000 miles so far plus other mods on her .....working well ...