I wish...

nameless

3rd, the MJ was a short box. I personally do not like a short box truck. I never have and probably never will. I was to the point the truck was almost finished and I was losing interest in her and it was still a shorty.

Just one of the reasons I sold Onyx. I love a LWB MJ.

But, if Betty's bed is not enough, I always have room in this.

26415_1226883879333_1446122050_30562500_5494605_n.jpg

Jerk. I had one too, but I was tight on money... Then trans go boom at the same time. Had 298,000 on it, and still sold it for $3500 with no trans or front driveshaft.

37454_128244837213012_100000824882082_140595_6926520_n.jpg

37454_128244843879678_100000824882082_140597_5499183_n.jpg

Boy do I miss the ol' brute. I miss being able to respond "Yep, I can haul/tow/pull/take that." to just about anything I wanted to. Pull start a frozen semi? You bet.

Rob L. :(

Personal preference. I like the more balance look and less overhang of the SWB, especially off-road. The departure angle of the LWB is worse and due to the longish wheelbase you have to lift it higher to have the same breakover angle as the SWB. Too each their own, especially as we all use our MJ's for different reasons.

Shortbed + full width toolbox doesn't leave much room for payload,

that's the reason I don't have a toolbox in either SWB right now.

Both have tonneau covers to keep prying eyes away,

and the trail truck has ammo cans in the dead space next to each wheel well.

hate to say it but I am hoping to bob my long bed in the future. and don't get angry because its either that or have the bed smashed up by trees, rocks or whatever else I have to squeeze through. :peek:

besides if I need more cargo room I can just hookup this:

37454_128244837213012_100000824882082_140595_6926520_n.jpg

:drool: 12 Valve

Bonus points if you tell me how you knew.

Rob L.

I could tell by the mirrors. I have never seen a 24V with the little chrome mirrors. I also do not see a 3rd door on it. I could be wrong about the door though. The 99 and newer Rams have the extra doors.

The doors are the key. That was a club cab. The quad cab came out mid '97 or '98. Whichever was the changeover year for the 24V. For half a year they made the 12V in the quad cab flavor, which is highly desirable.

I bought mine from a friend who had more money than attention span. He bought it for $10,000 cash, put about $10,000 in hard parts on it(Holset HX40, Injectors, Fuel plate...), then blew a trans line. After numerous attempts to fix it with line patch and such, he gave up because he didn't want to buy a set of trans lines. Knowing I was always in the market for that thing, he asked. All I had was $4000, so that's what I bought it for. Fun truck, but expensive to maintain at times.

To think I complain about unit bearings on the MJ/XJ/ZJ's... Those suckers were $250 a side 5 years ago, and I had to do both. :eek: Heater core was fun too.

Then one day cruising at 60, there was a loud boom, the wheels locked up for a split second, and that was all she wrote. They were known for the torque converter detonating, then locking up the trans, and the rotating mass of the truck on the wheels would force the trans to move, bending all the innards. New trans from goerends was about $4000 if I put it in, and I just didn't have the cash.

It was starting to rust anyhow, and the engine didn't sound too hot. Started popping when it was cold, like it was clearing out its throat. Still miss it though, and it was super hard to watch it roll away on the trailer.

But then again, I sold off all the MJ's and stuff to buy it. When it went, a co-workers $700 '91 XJ Laredo was the new unit, and that got me back into all the insanity once again. Good to be back.

Rob L. :cheers:

I could tell by the mirrors. I have never seen a 24V with the little chrome mirrors. I also do not see a 3rd door on it. I could be wrong about the door though. The 99 and newer Rams have the extra doors.

Yep, I was gonna say the mirrors an the lack of doors. Other than that they're basically the same truck. I would take a 12 valve over a 24 any day though

I have a long bed, topper and bed slide. Being a drummer the bed slide is the best money I ever spent. No more bashing the top of my head getting in and out of the back of the truck. I still can't believe I found a used bed slide on CL for $225. It came out of a Dakota short bed. I haven't had to get inside the back of my truck in over a year and a half.