Turn signal lever

Hey guys --

I'm looking to replace the turn signal lever (a.k.a. the multi-function stalk) on my 1986 Jeep Comanche X 2.5 liter 4-cyl. My model came with cruise control and variable-speed wipers. The lever is jammed in high-beam headlight mode, the push button is missing, and the wipers do not work at all when you rotate the wiper switch. For these reasons, I'd like to try replacing this lever.

First, what is the correct replacement lever arm part?

I believe the replacement part is this:

http://www.dormanproducts.com/p-5081-49284.aspx

The photos seem to match the one in my truck. Also, I know that AMC sourced many of its parts from GM, including the ignition switch. So, it makes sense to me that the lever would be a GM part as well.

Second, if I replace the lever in hopes of unjamming the highbeams/lowbeams, what other part(s) should I expect to replace within the steering column while I'm in there.

Finally, do I need any special tools to tackle this job? I've never taken the steering wheel off, nor opened up the steering column. :oops:

Thanks!

Yep, Jeep sourced the whole steering column from GM, it's a standard saginaw column.

As far as what to expect, make sure you have a good diagram of the assembly. There are quite a few little parts in there. You will also need a steering wheel puller and misc hand tools, including torx bits IIRC.

Here yuh go: http://www.fieros.de/en/articles/steering.html

To depress the retainer plate & spring make yourself a simple tool by using a piece of 1" ID pipe, or even an old socket, about 1 1/4" long. Just cut/grind out the sides (3/4" slots) or so. No need to buy a tool you'll probally only use once. Put it on the column, screw on the nut to press it down, remove retainer clip.

I received this email from Dorman:

"We don't offer that part for your particular vehicle. Part Number 49284

is not for your vehicle."

Autozone has an all black version in thier "Help" section of the stores. The link shows three versions, but they only carry the last one. The info for that part in the page link also is in error because the one they carry in the stores is for cruise/delay wipers/windshield wash/turn signals.

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/accessories/Interior/Cruise-Control-Lever/_/N-260m?filterByKeyWord=turn+signal+stalk&fromString=search

The price is 39.99.

• 5 years later...

The turn signal lever on my 91 comanche broke.  I have a left turn signal and the wipers work but no right turn.  The lever just flops when I push it up.  I felt something snap about a week ago and that's when it stopped working.  

I can't find the part anywhere.  Anyone know what part is would be?

Do a search on Ebay for GM Turn Signal Lever . There are tons of them in all varieties; w-w/o cruise, w-w/o intermittent, etc. Example:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NOS-ACDelco-GM-Original-Equipment-22510732-Turn-Signal-Washer-Lever-GM-D-/262296489414?hash=item3d1216cdc6:g:7soAAOSwe7BWxctC&vxp=mtr

The levers themselves seldom go bad. The plastic multifunction switch inside the column that the stalk plugs into is usually the culprit that breaks.

Hey guys --

I'm looking to replace the turn signal lever (a.k.a. the multi-function stalk) on my 1986 Jeep Comanche X 2.5 liter 4-cyl. My model came with cruise control and variable-speed wipers. The lever is jammed in high-beam headlight mode, the push button is missing, and the wipers do not work at all when you rotate the wiper switch. For these reasons, I'd like to try replacing this lever.

First, what is the correct replacement lever arm part?

The photos seem to match the one in my truck. Also, I know that AMC sourced many of its parts from GM, including the ignition switch. So, it makes sense to me that the lever would be a GM part as well.

Second, if I replace the lever in hopes of unjamming the highbeams/lowbeams, what other part(s) should I expect to replace within the steering column while I'm in there.

Finally, do I need any special tools to tackle this job? I've never taken the steering wheel off, nor opened up the steering column. :oops:

Thanks!

When you say you have delay wipers, are you basing that off the switch?  Someone may have replaced the lever at some point with one that shows the delay function even though the vehicle wasn't equipped with it.  The same is true for the cruise control.  You can check for delay wipers by checking to see if it has the delay box under the dash.  And if it isn't there, it's something that can be added, however adding the switch to the column is also required.  The switch itself is not the turn signal lever.  The switch is actually inside the column and the lever actuates it.  The switch inside the column is a lot of work to change out and is expensive.

You can check to see if you have cruise by looking in the engine compartment for the servo.  No servo, no cruise.  If you are not familiar with the servo, just look at the throttle body.  If you have 2 cables going to it (manual trans) or 3 (auto trans) you have cruise.  1 cable (manual) or 2 cables (auto) and you do not.  Oops, just noticed you have the 2.5, not sure if that applies.  I was thinking of the 4.0

For the headlights, again the turn signal lever is only actuating the dimmer switch which is inside the column.  My XJ was stuck on high beams when I bought it.  By placing my finger near the very base of the turn lever (for best leverage), and deliberately pulling it back, I was able to get it to work.  It was only stuck.  Working it back and forth got it freed up and working normal.

If you do have cruise and delay, this is the cheapest lever I found.  It is currently in my MJ, which I added the other parts required to have cruise.  It didn't have it from the factory.  Also, I don't have delay wipers but the lever works anyway (on low/high, the delay function is there but doesn't do anything).  I do have the delay wiper switch that goes inside the column, but they are pretty difficult to replace and I haven't tackled it yet.

This is a good buy:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Black-Cruise-Control-Windshield-Wiper-Arm-Lever-Switch-for-Chevy-Truck-Pontiac-/371109667956?hash=item5667dc2474:g:xbIAAOSwEeFU4y~o&vxp=mtr

The turn signal lever on my 91 comanche broke.  I have a left turn signal and the wipers work but no right turn.  The lever just flops when I push it up.  I felt something snap about a week ago and that's when it stopped working.  

I can't find the part anywhere.  Anyone know what part is would be?

As Hornbrod noted, most likely your turn signal switch inside the column broke, not the lever itself.  It's likely this is the piece that is broke:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Dorman-Help-49303-Turn-Signal-Cam-Jeep-/252247948495?hash=item3abb263ccf:g:o7kAAOSwYIhWlS13&vxp=mtr

You can replace it by itself instead of the whole turn signal switch:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Turn-Signal-Switch-Lever-Assembly-Buick-Oldsmobile-American-Motors-Jeep-SUV-/331768559618?fits=Year%3A1991%7CMake%3AJeep%7CModel%3ACherokee&hash=item4d3ef27802:g:DyQAAOSwvUlWsJwi&vxp=mtr

Those are just examples, I am not recommending those for purchase.

The levers themselves seldom go bad. The plastic multifunction switch inside the column that the stalk plugs into is usually the culprit that breaks.

Correct. The lever itself is basically just a lever -- it's a press fit into the multi-function switch. If your lever hasn't broken off, it's probably not the problem.

• 4 weeks later...

According to Rock Auto's site, yes. The Mopar p/n is 56002011

This one is on and working perfectly.

Thanks for all the help.

How hard was it to replace the switch, and did you have to disassemble the column?

FWIW I bought the same switch....

I must confess that I took it in and had it done.  I started reading about all that was involved in replacing the switch which involved disassembling the column and thought, nope, beyond my skill.  Plus, one mechanic I talked to said there's a plastic piece that tends to break because it's old.  I figured if he broke it he'd have to find and fix it, not me.  Was a 2 hour labor cost which would have been an entire day for me.  Money well spent in my opinion.

• 4 months later...

Question, if the lever isn't broken but flimsy and on it's last leg can I just pull the lever out and place a new one in there? All of my signals and wipers work fine, but the lever seems to be sticky and I would like to replace it.

thoughts???

The lever itself can be replaced pretty easily, especially if you don't have cruise control. Just give it a sold tug and it'll pop out. The actual action of the lever is in the switch though, so unless the lever is flexible and/or falling apart, just replacing it won't do anything for issues with the switch.

The switch is part of the multi-function switch, which requires partial disassembly of the steering column to replace. If you do go after the switch, do yourself a favour and get a lock-plate tool. The good news is that the GM Saginaw column in the MJ went into pretty well everything for a good twenty five years or so, so parts and write-ups are available everywhere.

Question, if the lever isn't broken but flimsy and on it's last leg can I just pull the lever out and place a new one in there? All of my signals and wipers work fine, but the lever seems to be sticky and I would like to replace it.

thoughts???

See my post in #11.  Many times it is a broken turn signal cam that gives the lever a sloppy feel.  These can be replaced separately.  They are part of the turn signal switch, which can also be entirely replaced to fix the problem although it's usually not needed.  You will have to dig into the column to diagnose it.  And a lock plate tool is one of those things that are hard to make do without.  

• 6 years later...

My left turn doesn't shut off after bringing the wheel back and I can't control my brights. Would it be this switch below? I already tried replacing the turn switch and it didn't change anything regarding the left blinker. The brights seem to be working on a rod and switch down the column, but the stalk doesn't grab it.

Standard DS-572

image.png.c1be9fb251551f12d8ead95f5426c324.png

1 hour ago, howeitsdone said:

My left turn doesn't shut off after bringing the wheel back and I can't control my brights. Would it be this switch below? I already tried replacing the turn switch and it didn't change anything regarding the left blinker. The brights seem to be working on a rod and switch down the column, but the stalk doesn't grab it.

The horn contact ring has 2 nubs on it that work the 2 plastic plates that rotate against each other that make all the clicking inside you hear when signalling/ turning. There are tension springs wedged in those plastic plates that can break or fall out. That's problem #1. Problem #2 may be caused by bits of problem #1 interfering with the leverage point at the stalk. You'll have to get in there to determine how far both issues go. All of it is pretty well available GM stuff. The writeup in a post above has all the pics and details of how to get it apart: