Project Utility Comanche. The Saga Continues

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Awesome. I really enjoy watching this one come to life... uh... come to life again? Which ever way you see it, I really admire everything going in the right direction so quickly. Keep it up and keep us posted!

thanks man. It sucks that these have taken rule of my life, but it is positive that this stuff doesn't take long for me.

Kickin' @$$ and steelin' parts , way to score up that black interior . I wish I had that much know how on the 97+ swap .

ah. it's not too bad to be honest...and I gotta throw some bones to shelbyluvv for helpin me out with tech. it's nice to have a fallback guy

Good job Pat! It is a great feeling to hear them run the first time. I remember when Onyx fired up like it was yesterday.

Thanks, Bo! it's nice to hear it run for the first time in 2 weeks. I'm very happy with a couple things...

I already had the 99 bracketry and serpentine, and the alternator for the '99 bolted right in (found that they're not interchangeable between 95-98, and 99-01)

I got the interior completely gutted...modified the center consoles by relocating my tuffy lock box back a bit, and cutting down the tan factory center console (it was mint lol...oh well). managed to retain my cup holders. Afterwards, I wire brushed and cleaned the floors, and sprayed rust converter down. it's nice that this thing is still EXTREMELY clean rust-wise. in the morning, I'll spray down some undercoating and it will be dry by mid-afternoon when I'm ready to install the carpet.

I also started toying with my dual e-fan setup. should be fairly interesting...luckily, the second factory '96+ fan fits in without hitting the old fan pulley's bolts...so I can always swap back since I don't have to trim up those bolts at all.

pics

also got the factory cd/tape deck installed and tested. super stoked about this one :D

looks GOOD!! :clapping:

why thank you :D

so, I got the np242 installed and got the 4x sensor and speed sensor hooked to the engine harness, put the np242 shifter setup in it, and then proceeded to go to the junkyard in order to get the '99 transmission harness so I can splice a jumper to go from '95 to '99 tranny connectors.

so. while I was there, I found a "new" truck in the yard that I hadn't seen before...a little chevy luv (sorry Brent, didn't have the camera to grab pics). on said truck was a meyers e47 pump with quick connect assembly,, and a pretty good condition 6'6" meyers plow, complete with lights and wiring.

it just so happens that, other than the mount, it's identical to the setup for the Jeep...which my brother has. so, for $240, I picked it up and had them torch the mounts off.

now, I have no intention of using this mounting setup..I'm gonna make my own mounts to quick connect it to my brush guard.

but, this finishes off all the parts I needed to get the truck done. I'll need to get a new meyers quick connect wiring connector, as this one is fried, and maybe rebuild the e47 pump or buy a spare one and use this one for parts...it doesn't work at the moment, but I'll figure it out and have a plow setup for under $400. I also need to fix the center pin area of the plow frame, and put new ram pins in, as those have been heavily used.

pics

considering my brother paid $1000 for his setup in similar condition, I think I did pretty damn well. gotta sell more parts to make up for this, now :( oh well. customer's vehicles should pay for it, too.

I see that donor XJ came from one of my former Bat' brothers...it should bring you good luck. 8)

Man, you have some mad Jeep skills. Where's the pics of your army of little dwarfs doing all this labor for you? :D

idk about all that lol...the one that that rear hatch is off of belonged to an old lady. the other one belonged to a teenager.

and thanks. they're actually the little guys that go "dink dink..dinkdinkdinkdink..dink...dink" on spaceballs. sort of like Jawas from star wars, but with a better sense of humour. training them, though...that was worse than a couple years ago when I tried to potty train myself... :rotf:

brakes are connected and gravity bled...waiting for 89elim to stop by at some point to finish bleeding them.

passenger door is on, driver's door is almost ready...one of the torx is fubar'd, so I gotta get that out.

running in to grab hex head bolts to replace all the torx bolts on the doors, and to use for the fenders. should be able to have it out of the barn and out of the way today, so I can clean up before finishing up the project.

put the new front brakes on, bled the system out up front, plugged the rear. the rear wheel cylinders are shot, so rather than buy those...I'm going to pull the d44 from my '86 and pop it in this one, sell this d44, and put the AMC20 and metric ton stuff out of the '86 mj I just picked up into my '86.

steering and rear driveshaft compliments of 89eliminator, I drove it out today so that I could clean up the mess in the pole barn. I also sanded down the bedside and passenger cab corner real quick to throw down some white paint, just wanted to see what it looked like.

put the front bumper on

then dug out the lund visor I picked up from Rob (automan) and tossed it up to get an idea of the look.

I think I'll be going completely black on this thing, and probably adding the visor then.

wanted to get some better pics of it as it is once it was inside (had to scramble as I was cleaning the shop up...it started raining, and I'm sorta missing a door :P )

black paint with rain on it...

Chrysler was smart about one thing...they designed ALOT of parts on LHD '97+ xj's to be interchangeable with RHD '97+ xj's...the gauge cluster mount, for example, has two headlight mounts on it. this will be handy so I can add the plow light switch into it, but on the right side of the column.

My plan was originally to tie this into the existing headlight harness, but I don't think I will be doing that. The way plows are normally set up is that this switch is a "Upper/Lower" switch...What I will be doing is setting this up so I can turn on the plow lights seperately of the factory lights. then, I'll simply flip the running lights on and turn the plow lights on...I will have to tie into the hi/lo wires coming off of the turn signal switch, but otherwise they'll function perfectly that way. and no...the plow lights won't be quite that high...they'll be around 6" lower on the quick-connect plow subframe I'm going to make to work with this bumper.

Man what a fast good build, great job :cheers:

Brandon

lol. thanks. not done yet!

it's...................colorful. :banana:

it'll get down to two colors, at most. I want it to not look terrible for the winter, and stop the rust on the parts that have rust...

I had a black truck once. Never again will I go that route. They are SO hard to keep clean.

yeah. this is just for the winter to stop rust. I've decided on a cherry red/black color for it...it's just the wrong time of year to do a good paint job, and I have rust that MUST be stopped. it's not bad, yet....i don't want it to get there.

today was a good day.

new motor is on plow pump...$75 later, pump works. quick connector is still kinda fubar'd, but it works...will make it through the winter.

driver's door is modded to be removable, and installed. driver's fender installed, front end buttoned up.

truck is re-registered and insured.

tail lights are wired except brake lights...gotta figure that one out yet, can't remember what I did for last time with the '95 wiring...to the turn switch, i think.

to drive it, I just need to put the sway bar on, wire the brake lights, put something on for a rear bumper...even if it's temporary, and toss shocks on it. then it's driveable. hope to have it completely done on wednesday.

all I have left for wiring, aside from the brake lights, is to wire in the rear speaker and interior light wires, and install the plow wiring.

pics tomorrow.

none of your pics work :redX:

its showing the exceeded bandwidth thing

then copy and paste the url's in your web brower 1 by 1 manually, other wise if you don't want to do that stop veiwing his topics for a while XD

thats why he has no bandwidth too many viewers XD