Project Utility Comanche. The Saga Continues

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

bit more progress. swapping rear ends with the 3800's this weekend, then the brakes will be done. also taking the 31's from the 3800 and putting those on it. swapping out to the '99 alloy rims in a few weeks. all lights work, interior wiring is done. need to do a headliner for it, put the interior together, wire up the new speakers, and put the door strikers in permanently. it's driveable, though.

plow mount is gonna be pretty easy.

sweet looking manche but i got to say i wouldn never put a plow on mine lots of abuse on the poor little buy lol :cheers:

eh. it's getting used, not abused. this is less abuse than I put this truck through when I was wheeling it. plus it's only my driveway and the neighbor's, maybe the parent's every once in awhile.

• 4 weeks later...

haven't finished her since I picked up a 47k mile crown vic for $200 that runs and drives...

last night I installed the 02 sensors and '97 ecu and tcu, cleared codes by disconnecting battery overnight, took her for a spin...it no longer dies out, and all CEL's are off. cruise works, all lights work.

now it gets to sit the rest of the day until I pick up the disc brake kit next weekend for the rear...

• 1 month later...

well it's been awhile.

the body side plow mount is done, front bumper is off again, though...since I'm stripping the truck to zero now.

plow itself is functional, but I haven't needed it since my room mate plows and brings the plow truck home when it snows.

truck runs and drives, I'm pulling the engine and trans soon, doors off, fenders off, and bed off. painting everything that can't be accessed with the truck assembled, then reassembling. considering making it a 5 or 6 speed manual while the trans is out...and also have it in my head to go ahead and build a stroker this time.

I bought a beater xj to destroy for now :D

• 7 months later...

moving. no time. thinned herd...down to only having my 86 (3800), Joe (beaterjeep's) jeep, and my '99xj.

any non mj specific parts that aren't given away by this weekend will be in the dumpster next weekend...don't want to deal with craigslist, the "well that's a bit of a high price", or "that's so cheap...what's wrong with it" stuff is a waste of time.

don't worry, any mj stuff I wasn't keeping has gone to good homes. anything else is just trash.

• 2 years later...

Well, saturday was set to be a good day.

Rob came up so we could pay some attention to his MJ trailer build, figure out the axle, and whatnot. We decided on a trailer axle, 3500#, custom built for the same cost as modifying a purchased one to fit.

Once we reached that conclusion, it was time to come up with something else to do. I recalled that there was a junkyard by me that the old man who owned it had died, his daughter inherited, and was only open saturdays to meet state law of 1 day a week. We got there just in time...they are scrapping EVERYTHING. There is only one MJ in the yard, which I will be going back to grab parts from. Some things in the yard haven't moved in 40+ years. I'm sure Rob will share pics at some point, but he has been busy with the bad luck on the way home with the accident.

After the yard, we took a hike to look at my old MJ. I have bought it back. It will be a project.

Here it is as it sits currently.

Thanks to Rob and Aaron, I am convinced hanneman bedsides and front fenders are the easiest option. I am dropping a 3.5" lift with custom long arms, 32x11.50 ats, c8.25 rear with 3.73 and discs from a KJ (still on leafs, sorry...will not be linking the rear), 3.73 front from a zj (accept it, I'm ok with the low pinion as I have no intent to wheel much, if any).

This is a full 97+ swap. It is getting 02 KJ tan heated leather to match the seats. The floors and rockers need minor attention.

It's getting a meyer C6.5 plow with e61H pump, and a removable SnowEx salter in the bed. This is the new utility rig, and will represent my business.

May do light wheeling, but unlikely. Don't plan wheeling something nice.

Paint code will be PE5 (Salsa Red Pearl) to match the KJ.

• 6 months later...
  • 1 month later...