'88 MJ (4wd - Trail Truck)

500 MJ

The swap isnt a bad one at all to do. Some people claim to be able to do it in a weekend. Others, like me, took their own sweet time and did it over a summer's long restoration/refurbishing of their MJ.

The MJ and the XJ come from the factory with all of the components needed for the 4wd system already on their Unibody frame. You shouldnt need to weld anything on or cut anything off to clear the new parts that you put in as long as you use parts from another XJ/MJ. These parts will be directly bolt in.

Axles

In my ORIGINAL swap, I used a front axle (Dana 30) from a '91 XJ (Post CAD) and the matching rear axle from the same XJ (Chrysler 8.25) Here are pics of those axles. They ran me $300 total from an area Junkyard.

n6603948_30567169_8659.jpg

n6603948_30567180_9597.jpg

If you are planning on putting in a lift, the time that you swap over the axle(s) is the best time to do it in my opinion - thats what I did - FYI

I swapped both axles in because my MJ was originally geared at 3.07, had a BA10 manual transmission, and it had a Dana 35 in the rear (a junker of an axle for offroad use). The axles I got from the XJ were from one with an automatic in them and were geared at 3.55. Thus a gear change was in order for the front axle or I could just get the matching rear axle and pop it in at the same time. I chose the latter.

If you can find a Dana 30 HP from another XJ/MJ with the gears in it to match the ones in your rearend you will be all set.

If you go the route I did and get BOTH XJ axles, you will need to be able to find someone to cut and reweld the perches for you on the rear end to SUA (Spring Under Axles, the MJ configuration) rather than SOA (Spring Over Axle, the XJ configuration) - just a highlight for you to be aware of.

Suspension

The front suspension on the XJ/MJ is the same for 2wd and 4wd models. All suspension components can be reused from the original layout of the Jeep. These parts should be able to be re-used unless you decide to put a lift in. Then you start putting in $$$ here. I put in $100 for a set of used 3.5" Rubicon Express coils for the front, $300 for a new set of 4.5" rear springs from Rusty's Offroad and $120 for new shocks from Rusty's.

Steering

The same that goes for the suspension goes for the steering. All of the parts are the same and can be reused, right down to the tie-rod ends. If you have a shot steering set-up like I did, now is the time to fix it. To fix mine probably ran me around $400 because I replaced all of the rod ends, the stabilizer, the drag link and the tracbar.

Trans/Transfer

I LUCKED OUT here. I was able to bring home a AX-15/NP231 combo for $250 TOTAL. That is DIRT CHEAP for this setup. This usually runs around $500 +/- $100. The reason I got my setup so cheap was that I had a motivated seller and he had pulled the parts from a YJ Wrangler. This would turn out to cause some issues down the road with clocking.

This difference is in the tail housing of the trans. It clocks the transfer case to a horizontal angle in a Wrangler and a tilted angle in the XJ/MJ. So to fix this problem I needed to make room on the floor boards of the truck to accept the new higher clocked transfer case. It was kind of a pain. So if you can, get one from a XJ/MJ.

The setup bolts in on the factory crossmember and is again all bolt on stuff. One thing to consider if you have a manual or auto. To swap from one to the other requires a whole set of things to happen (Clutch pedals, Automatic Electronic parts...) It is easiest to keep your Jeep setup as it currently is, otherwise you need to do ALOT more work.

Nickel and Dime Stuff

This one is the kicker. Most things go un noticed by guys when they plan on doing the swap. Driveshafts need to be bought and or shortened. Universal joints replaced. Components in the Trans/Transfer or Axles may need work or need to be replaced once you get them home. You should get an alignment, not hard to do by yourself, once you get everything in there.

Other things include: Speedometer cables, gear lubes for the new parts (tranny fluid and axle grease), a new clutch (resurfacing the flywheel), paint for the parts (I like mine looking nice), 4wd shifter linkage, the list goes on...

On these things, I must have spent around $600 or MORE after all of the stuff was done...

Final Word

Overall though, if you have the money and the TIME to do it and do it right, it can be a very fun swap to do.

Its getting late and I don't have many of the other pics I have hosted on the net. If I get the chance I'll host them up somewhere and post them up later on.

- Brent

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 253
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, its been a long time coming but I did some more work on the '88 last night. I finally put my fender badging and other decals back on. :D I almost broke a sweat doing it too.

n6603948_31472684_1070.jpg

n6603948_31472683_706.jpg

n6603948_31472712_375.jpg

n6603948_31472713_697.jpg

n6603948_31472714_1040.jpg

n6603948_31472715_1378.jpg

Oh and I installed this gun rack to hold my fishing poles for the summer months. Another Tuffy ;)

n6603948_31472711_7.jpg

Truth is: I really am keeping pretty busy with building a bike rack that will mount in my rear receiver and a canoe rack to haul my aluminum one back to school in the fall. I still am doing things to the '90 (white MJ) as well. I would also like to fab up a steering box brace for the '88 and make some rocker panel sliders to put on it with the remainder of the time I have left in the summer.

• 2 weeks later...

Yes, it does :roll: Thats the reason I got it cheap. It needed some welding done to it to repair a crossmember and it also had the remnants of that old camo paint job on it. Hopefully it will clean up with some paint remover jelly. If that doesnt work, I'll repaint it solid olive drab...

I bought a gallon of the olive drab paint from the surplus store. Supposedly its made for amphibious vehicles. I figured I would go that route so its easily touched up and it was pretty cheap. :brows:

• 1 month later...

Went wheeling again last weekend. I'm back in the Upper Peninsula for school in the fall now. We climbed the cliff at Cliff Drive in the Keweenaw Peninsula this time - elevation change of 700 feet in about 1/2 mile of driving. Great view at the top.

n6607892_31584538_5927.jpg

n6607892_31584516_8583.jpg

n6607892_31584511_6801.jpg

Me and My Girlfriend, Lindsey

n6607892_31584507_5411.jpg

n6607892_31584506_5065.jpg

n6607892_31584489_9630.jpg

Story of why my friends rode in the bed: We get about 500' down the trail and their GMC Jimmy died. We tried troubleshooting the problem but couldnt figure out what caused it (they are still trying to figure it out). So, I had to turn around and tow their pile of rust back out to the trailhead and we parked it there to get it towed home.

Instead of just calling it a day at that though, they still wanted to go riding. Thus they rode in the bed all the way up and back down. Had to drive nice and easy for them though so they wouldn't get thrown out of the truck going over rocks and dead logs ;)

Had a good time overall though. I've got a video of me towing that Jimmy out, I'll get it posted up sometime...

• 1 month later...

I'm getting bored up here and my friends are busy with school work. Wheeling is good and all but its best when you have friends to go with ya... So I'm hoping to get out this weekend sometime when they can come along...

I'm keeping busy with small projects up here and bow-hunting in the evenings. I just bought a trailer to work on and fix up and I've been fiddling around with stuff on the MJ. I put the stock radio and tape deck back in it after I toasted the CD player the other day TIG welding on the Jeep. I like the look of the stock unit in the dash and I think its there to stay for good. Also, I pinstriped :D it the other day and painted the lettering on the tailgate...

n6603948_31643955_969.jpg

n6603948_31643956_1335.jpg

Patiently waiting to hit the trails... :roll:

n6603948_31643954_597.jpg

Anyone feel like making a trip up here? ;)

I'm getting bored up here and my friends are busy with school work. Wheeling is good and all but its best when you have friends to go with ya... So I'm hoping to get out this weekend sometime when they can come along...

I'm keeping busy with small projects up here and bow-hunting in the evenings. I just bought a trailer to work on and fix up and I've been fiddling around with stuff on the MJ. I put the stock radio and tape deck back in it after I toasted the CD player the other day TIG welding on the Jeep. I like the look of the stock unit in the dash and I think its there to stay for good. Also, I pinstriped :D it the other day and painted the lettering on the tailgate...

n6603948_31643955_969.jpg

n6603948_31643956_1335.jpg

Patiently waiting to hit the trails... :roll:

n6603948_31643954_597.jpg

Anyone feel like making a trip up here? ;)

i would love and maybe get a chance to hunt but i hunting the ash-hole :mad: that stole my cc number and ran a muck at some fancy online stores lucky for me that they call me up to put a stop :headpop: i would like to catch this person and use then for some archery practice :brows: btw nice truck :thumbsup:

i would love and maybe get a chance to hunt but i hunting the ash-hole :mad: that stole my cc number and ran a muck at some fancy online stores lucky for me that they call me up to put a stop :headpop: i would like to catch this person and use then for some archery practice :brows: btw nice truck :thumbsup:

:thumbsup: :agree:

• 1 month later...
I like the steelies better. I'm partial to black wheels.

x400. keep the black wheels on all year, Brent!

Yah. I do have alot of money wrapped up in those Aluminum rims though, and I really like the look of them for use as the daily driver.

The black ones don't ERK me bad though. I do like them to an extent. Plans are to probably keep the black ones on there for awhile and wear the tires down to nothing. Then I can go out and get myself a NICE set of lightly used treads to put back on them. Baja Claws, Mud Terrains, etc... Have a set of tread for the streets and one for the trails...

I always get too worried about hitting the aluminum wheels on rocks and whatnot when I'm on the trail. The steelies I don't care about. ;)