'88 MJ (4wd - Trail Truck)

500 MJ

• Replies 253
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

...maybe. I don't plan on ever needing it to be stiffer though - aka I don't jump my Jeep :roll:

I mean in terms of perhaps a truss or even some bracing on the C's or maybe some heavier buckets or brackets, i mean in gernal stiffing on the over all axle or just going to run it realtivly stock and fix from there?

...maybe. I don't plan on ever needing it to be stiffer though - aka I don't jump my Jeep :roll:

I mean in terms of perhaps a truss or even some bracing on the C's or maybe some heavier buckets or brackets, i mean in gernal stiffing on the over all axle or just going to run it realtivly stock and fix from there?

I'm hoping to run it relatively stock as far as bracing goes. Again, I'm not planning on getting into hairy situations that would need a truss or brace. The stock axle I have in the truck right now is working wonderfully for what I do and it is all stock.

This one will essentially be an all new axle when finished with the locker and aftermarket shafts - that is the driving point behind it. If I were looking for something more structurally sound I would have most likely just bite the bullet and get something like this:

http://www.currieenterprises.com/cestor ... px?id=1554

ce0001SD.jpg

:rotfl2:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Man, that pic looks like it should be in a magazine ad. It's that nice. This mj really makes us all proud.

...just wait. Not a magazine ad, but kinda close... :D

yeah yeah still say it look better with a blue plate. :rotfl2: ....... :hmm: welll maybe not as I know what you paid for that plate. :rant:

• 3 weeks later...

More progress on my forever long front axle build up. I recently acquired a few more front axles from a friend who needed to move them fast. Neither one was complete so they were worthless to everyone else but me. I figured that I would dump the aftermarket shafts idea that I had been initially planning on to go this route. By the time the dust clears I'll have a bunch of spare parts and two good sets of axle shafts for my front end.

Axle #1:

25757_558354995017_6603948_32617199_5268735_n.jpg

Axle #2:

25757_558355000007_6603948_32617200_6059248_n.jpg

First step was to disassemble the axles and then clean all of the shafts up. I did this with alot of hand cleaner (works great on the grease and dirt) and then cleaned the hard to wire brush spots with my dunk-in-industrial-toilet-bowl-cleaner-for-a-day method.

12428_558447409817_6603948_32619438_2912560_n.jpg

Then I primed them, they'll get some satin black once I get the U-joints installed (should get here this week).

12428_558447414807_6603948_32619439_7000034_n.jpg

I also have bought my new unit bearings, sitting on the shelf for now until the rest of the parts get here.

12428_558447419797_6603948_32619440_4478540_n.jpg

I'm liking the pace of this whole deal, taking it easy and getting it done one step at a time.

Anything with Hydrochloric Acid in it. I guess you could just go get a gallon of Muriatic (sp?) Acid - the stuff you use to prep walls for painting - its got HCl in it too. and you can buy that crap by the gallon. Farm and Fleet had the TB cleaner on sale for $.99/quart a month ago or so, so I went that route...

http://www.farmandfleet.com/products/310877-toilet_bowl_cleaner.html?lref=%2fhome_basics%2fhousewares%2fcleaning%2fcleaning_chemicals%2f%3fsc%3dpa%26rp%3d12%26p%3d2

310877.jpg

"Its hydrochloric acid breaks down and removes mineral deposits, lime scale and urinary salts...and Jeep rust" :clapping: :smart:

:rotf:

Man, that pic looks like it should be in a magazine ad. It's that nice. This mj really makes us all proud.

...just wait. Not a magazine ad, but kinda close... :D

jeep magazine?

ohh and i got a better method for jeep rust :)

you need a basin filled with water that will fit ur parts,

a sheet of metal,

arm and hammer baking soda,

and a car battery charger,

hook the negative up to u rparts,

positive to the sheet of metal

mix arm and hamer in the water,

turn on and leave for a day,

absolutley no rust,

clean factory metal

Some more things came in the mail last week:

26325_558884214457_6603948_32635578_8314894_n.jpg

I'm going to try and re-use the stock yoke by drilling out the tapped holes to let the U-bolts in.

I also had the chance to paint the inner shafts today - nice weather here. The outers will be painted soon too, just didn't have the space to do them at today. New U-Joints will be going in the shafts soon.

26325_558884209467_6603948_32635577_6252557_n.jpg

can you measure your long arms from where the nut is for the adjustable part and where the to the eyehole at the end, and do the same for the short arm, and how far down from the non adjustable end where the upper arm mount is located I'm going to make long arms soon