'88 MJ (4wd - Trail Truck)

500 MJ

Well, Its finally in the Jeep and it rides oh so much nicer.

n6603948_31265844_5857.jpg

I got the '98 ZJ brake parts and had to replace the rotors and e-brake pads, everything else was good to go.

n6603948_31265842_5778.jpg

I'm still SUA, so thats why this might look upside down to some of you.

n6603948_31265843_4187.jpg

It rides nicely, Other than re-drilling the flange bolt pattern and making the spacer for the axle seal, it was pretty easy to do. I followed the instructions step by step from www.madxj.com. The only difference I had to adapt to were the MJ ebrake cables. I had to make ears to weld onto the ends so they would hook into the lever on the ZJ brakes.

n6603948_31348833_9484.jpg

n6603948_31265845_8472.jpg

n6603948_31265846_3140.jpg

Finally can use this bugger now

n6603948_31265847_8162.jpg

Used a Ford Shaft out of don't ask me what (It was in the driveshaft bus) with a conversion joint on the rear and my brand spanking new 1310 CV end.

n6603948_31265848_3474.jpg

Like I say, it rides MUCH better now that my pinion angle is taken care of. I can actually do 70 mph without vibrating ;)

• Replies 253
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Do you have any more pics of the rear bumper? Looks like you may have posted some, but the pics don't seem to be working any more. The only one that I could see was the one of it loaded in the bed with the front bumper.

Thanks,

Willy

Nope, I just built it. The only pics I have of the build process are what you see above.

If there would be a write-up, it would go something like this.

1. Cut out and drill the brackets that attach to the Outside of the frame. Bolt them onto the truck.

2. Use Jackstands to hold the 5"x2" tube in place so that it touches the brackets. Make sure the tube is centered with regards to the frame and that the tailgate has full clearance to open. Mark out the lower body line on the bumper ends to cut off in step 4.

3. Tack weld tube onto said brackets and remove setup from Jeep. Cut braces for the 90 degree between the tube and brackets. Weld braces onto assembly and Finish the welds for the brackets.

4. Cut a hitch hole in the center of the bumper and cut the ends so they follow the lower body line. Weld steel caps on the ends and weld "reese" hitch in the center of the tube as well as a loop of cold rolled steel to hook trailer chains to.

5. Remount the bumper onto the truck and stand back and make yourself feel proud of what you have done.

6. Next, cut + drill the Inside brackets for the bumper to mount to the inside of the frame and tack weld them on. Remove the setup form the Jeep.

7. Cut braces for the inside brackets and weld them to the assembly. Finish the welds for the Inside brackets.

8. Center the D-ring tabs between the two brackets and burn them in nice and hot. Weld on the lower extention piece to protect your license plate from getting bent.

9. Grind + sand the welds you don't want to show up, Prime, Paint and reinstall for the last time...

Bought it from 88swampedMJ - It came in a truck he bought. Its NOT a Comanche roll-bar, its after-market one size fits all. There are no stampings or any way to tell the manufacturer of it either... Can't really help you there... :roll:

• 2 months later...

Well, the old truck is still holding together wonderfully, I had to replace the transmission in April. The synchro went bad between 1 + 2 gear. So I threw in the spare trans that I had for such situations. I also replaced my clutch master cylinder, it was leaking on the fuse block and I had to re-wire a new one of those in - not fun!

A few pics:

n6603948_31348835_8244.jpg

n6603948_31348836_8589.jpg

n6603948_31348839_9623.jpg

My whole exhaust needs to come out to get the trans out, here is a pic of the complex setup I am running... :brows: n6603948_31348880_7797.jpg

And here is a pic of the present state of the blue beast (I like the look with out center caps in the wheels better...)

n6603948_31418167_3814.jpg

I got one from another MJ, I think an XJ one would work though as well because there were slots for fuses for the Rear Wiper and such in the ones I had. Last I checked, we don't have those to clean our rear windows off... ;)

• 2 weeks later...