'88 MJ (4wd - Trail Truck)

500 MJ

• Replies 253
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

how was the 4wd convo i have a 88 MJ (4.0 5speed 2wd) and I plan On swapping in the 4wd components it already has the axle in the front but I'm worried about doing the drive shafts and t case

Been away from the net for awhile, sorry for the late reply...

I talked about the swap here on page 7 of the thread: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=2024&start=90

If you plan on using the 2wd trans, you will most likely put more money into converting it over to a 4wd trans than it would cost you to just go buy a 4wd trans. If you can get the t-case and trans together then you will know you will have a setup that will work for you. If you buy them separate you will need to make sure your spline counts and input shafts are going to work.

Like you said, the driveshafts can be intimidating... I am still using a stock front driveshaft from an XJ. You can usually find these in junkyard driveshaft buses. The rear one can be shortened down to fit your needs. To shorten the shaft this is what I do. (You must have the trans and T-case mounted in the Jeep to do this). Remove the U-joints from the shaft and clean the shaft up. Now take a scribe and scratch a line between the yokes on each end. This will help you realign them when you weld the yoke back into the shaft. Cut the yoke off of the end of the shaft, I did this to the axle end. Then I took a pipe cutter and cut the shaft at the desired length, this also made my cut in the shaft nice and square to the tube. I tried to keep the same amount of slip left on the slip yoke so I measured accordingly and cut the shaft there. Now I ground the end out of the part of the shaft that I cut off and put it back in the shortened shaft. Line it back up with the lines you made in the shaft and weld it back up. Ta Da.

Also, for the best results, use ONLY Spicer U-Joints when you put everything back together... Hope that helps. Any questions just ask...

• 1 month later...

Well, not much new has been going on with me and the MJ. It sits in the garage all nice and clean these days - away from the Michigan roads and SALT.

I've been wanting to replace the joints on my front driveshaft for quite sometime now and when I was making the drive back to college (I came down to Chicago and all the way up through Wisconsin back to the Upper Peninsula) the joints were vibing pretty badly. I came through Wisconsin to go to a job interview in Madison. I got an offer for the job too - still debating if I want to become a Cheesehead after I graduate this May...

n6603948_31794011_986.jpg

n6603948_31802494_6258.jpg

Still waiting on some Flush Mount Grease Zerks I bought online to put it back in the truck though... Once I get it back in, then it might just be time to air down and have some fun in the snow!

• 2 weeks later...
... If you don't have them yet... its time for lockers!!! :yes: jamminz.gif :brows:

peace, CW

:agree: But my wallet doesnt at the moment...

Believe me, they are on "the list"

I'm figuring a re-gear to 4.10 and OX lockers in the front and back should run in the neighborhood of $2000

the link is not working for me :(

It should Roger - especially since you just added me as a friend on FB... image_209027.gif

• 1 month later...

Hey Ya'll!

It's Been Awhile. My last semester is wrapping up here at college and I am in the process of getting things lined up for my new job in Madison, WI working with Wisconsin & Southern Railroad. I'll be graduating in May and then moving in down in Madtown, work will start for me in June. So I'll be officially joining that ruthless bunch of Comanche owners in Wisconsin - "The land of the cheap MJ".

I've been kinda forced to do a few things on the truck though. I am in the process of replacing my gas tank right now (I had a leak develop over the winter) and I just put disconnect swaybar links onto it. Senior classes and trips are filling up my weekends. I've got no time to wheel now, but all kinds of time to work on the truck during the week :rant:

Anyway - here are some pics. The gas tank project will be finished in the next couple of days. Its getting painted right now and will be put in soon. I'll need the truck operational again quick, this weekend I am driving down to Madison to pick out an apartment!

n6603948_31928884_4939166.jpg

n6603948_31928886_868737.jpg

n6603948_31928918_2201943.jpg