'88 MJ (4wd - Trail Truck)

500 MJ

• Replies 253
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...

Have a listen... The mic on my camera isnt very good. It sounds much better than this...

Here is the paint update. Going to shoot the rest of it this week. Just got the insides of the hood and doors done to make masking easier...

n6603948_30909962_4322.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Well, paint has been sprayed for a few weeks now and I have already taken it out and got a chip in the paint from wheeling. :roll:

I don't have much more major planned for it because I'm at college now other than a SYE, CV shaft and eventually a D44 rear. I'm pretty happy with how it looks and rides now with the long arms and I'm still able to pull 18-19 mpg with it.

n6603948_30932360_4106.jpg

n6603948_30924277_6749.jpg

n6603948_30924280_7904.jpg

n6607892_30951216_5141.jpg

n6603948_30950250_9799.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I took out the leaf at the very bottom. It still sat a bit high after that so I got some sand bags and put them in the back for about a month. Those leveled things out quite nicely.

When I got my new wheels and tires last spring though I put that bottom leaf back in for more lift but then realized soon after that when I tried to haul alot of stuff the back would sag down alot. So I fixed the problem by getting some lift shackles and swapping those in, taking out the bottom leaf again and in its place putting a load spring from my original Comanche packs. Thats what I've got in there right now and I'm very happy with how it looks and works. Ride is better too.

I took out the leaf at the very bottom. It still sat a bit high after that so I got some sand bags and put them in the back for about a month. Those leveled things out quite nicely.

When I got my new wheels and tires last spring though I put that bottom leaf back in for more lift but then realized soon after that when I tried to haul alot of stuff the back would sag down alot. So I fixed the problem by getting some lift shackles and swapping those in, taking out the bottom leaf again and in its place putting a load spring from my original Comanche packs. Thats what I've got in there right now and I'm very happy with how it looks and works. Ride is better too.

Thank you for the info.

How was the ride when you had the bottom leaf out?

It rode much better than with it in in my opinion. Just like the ride now cause its essentially the same thing but with the load spring. It rides like a Pickup should, a happy medium between a Cadillac and a Dump Truck. Not So stiff that you feel every bump but its not a soft ride by any means. If you have the leaf in it now, it will ride much nicer with it out... Hope that helps.

It rode much better than with it in in my opinion. Just like the ride now cause its essentially the same thing but with the load spring. It rides like a Pickup should, a happy medium between a Cadillac and a Dump Truck. Not So stiff that you feel every bump but its not a soft ride by any means. If you have the leaf in it now, it will ride much nicer with it out... Hope that helps.

I appreciate the info, i will be lifting my truck this weekend and you helped me out a lot.

Thanks

Rich

Man that looks nice. Wish Ida bought a shortbed.

I had my chance to buy a long bed and turned it down. It was in way better shape than this one was to begin with too but it had a non running 2.8L in it...

You can haul more with the long bed but its way harder to turn around on the trail and I like the looks of the short bed more too. If someone wants a 'Manche in Mid Michigan, I could get you the name of the guy with that Long Bed. Its rustfree and running now....

have to get you to make me one of those. :brows:

$300 and you can have one just like in primer. If your interested let me know. Earliest I could have it made would be Thanksgiving or Christmas when I'm home on break...

The piece of steel alone cost $90. Its 5"x2" 1/4" wall tube...

n6603948_30924276_6302.jpg

This is how I fastened it to the box steel of the frame...

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks Guys. I'll be putting my RE 1660 Trackbar on this week once I get the parts tomorrow and I'm planning a busy weekend for the truck. The Lake Superior Pro Rally will be in town http://www.lsprorally.com/ and I'll be out with the truck to get a good spot on the trail to watch that, then I'll be using the truck later that afternoon to pull a railroad axle out of my backyard, yes a railroad axle. Should be an impressive display of Jeep Power.

I'll be sure to get pics.