360 Fuel Injection Build

Here is the start of my fuel injected OBDI 360 5.9 Comanche Build

Bought the truck for $225.00

Here is how she stood

PO said it had a cracked piston or something like that....since I knew what I wanted to do with it I haven't even checked it.

Body is straight and no major dents.

Pulled the drive-train, wiring, and everything in the engine bay.

Oh yeah, help has been contributed by my brother and my friends

Purchased a 360 5.9 engine with about 150xxx miles from a salvage yard along with a 46RH transmission, full wiring harness, computer, sensors and everything else for $600.00

Motor has got a clean up since then and all new gaskets, timing chain and paint.

Powder coated oil pan, t cover, intake and accessory bracket by eastwood companys economy powder coating kit and moms old oven.

Since I work at napa its easy to find, figure and look at what parts may or may not work.

Found some engine mounts that would work but after some initial mock-up we found out that the stock manifolds would make it hard to clear the firewall and push the engine to far forward. So ordered some bare block hugger headers from summit and VHT ceramic coated them, since right now I don't have the money to throw high dollar parts at it.

Fabricated some motor and transmission mounts and had my brother weld them in. Installed the engine and trans to see if the hood would fit? It FIT!!!!!! Great now its a sleeper :cheers:

More to come.......

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well i'm at school and should be working on my lab report but......

As far as keeping it Mopar that's what i was going for but...its Jeep, AMC, Chrysler, Dodge maybe a little more in the end, HAHA

Not quite there yet but as far as cooling, the 360 has a passenger side outlet w/p so I need a corresponding radiator. I def don't have the money to throw one of the radiators i've seen online into it $500.00 Going to see if I can find a v8 radiator from a truck and make it fit behind the grille. I have found a few thanks to NAPA I think would work with some minor modification to the core support. - Any ideas?

Also thinking about going with the 242 transfer case, bc I'm not sure which direction i want to go as far as off roading (which the Cherokee is setup for) with it or street fighter (aka imports can lick it) and its a good option in my opinion and fairly easy to get one. Anyone got one laying around?

Ok well lab report is done

Still trying to catch you up to now.....

Took everything out of the engine bay and primed it and painted it with a single stage polyurethane

While I was at it the valve covers got a coat

Not bad for a beginner painter, I have to say

Rear cross member mount and clearance issue with steering stabilizer.

You are caught up now.

Went and got the rest of the accessories yesterday (alt., starter, and ps pump with bracket)

Working on wiring harness' right now but with Senior year mechanical engineering classes time is getting short, so progress may slow up. I need pin-out diagrams of the bulk head connector for a 94 dodge ram 1500 and a 86 Comanche if anyone has them.

Very professional work, so far. I like how detailed you're getting with it. Do it right, or don't do it, right?

My opinion on the transfer case would be to just put a 231D in it from a dodge pickup, but a 231J might even hold up. I'm no expert.

Well I'm looking for a np242 i guess but don't haven any money at the moment. I want 4wd full time - I think - and the 242 is pretty common

At the moment I'm working on the cheap stuff - finishing wiring harness, accessories, and fuel rail. Going to use a return fuel rail off of a older 5.9 with a adjustable fuel pressure regulator instead of the return-less fuel injection system found on the 94+ dodge ram - If any one has one let me know

How much more lbs does the 360 weigh more than the standard 4.0L? The reason I'm asking is because this has my wheels turning, but I wouldn’t do it if it was like 500lbs more. That’s just in my case; I don’t have much weight on the back of my truck.

Not sure where you found those weights but from the novak site 4.0 is 515lbs.

But anyway from the 2.5l which is 340lb to the 360 is 207lb. Now that's some weight difference. I'm thinking about going SOA in the rear and leveling it in the front when I get done.

I was watching Pass time lastnight and saw a 98 grandcherokee with the 5.9l. then it had been stroked and a paxton supercharger on it. nice big cowl hood it was bad @$$. he ran like a 10. it was sick. just put all that in the comanche and it would be 10x cooler.

You, my friend, are trouble. I have been quietly thinking about doing a 5.2 or 5.9 in my MJ. Ultimately, the lack of aftermarket motor mounts is keeping me away. All I can find are GM mounts for the XJ and I am not comfortable trying to fab the mount and get it welded in.

I will be following your build. Keep up the excellent work ;)

Not sure where you found those weights but from the novak site 4.0 is 515lbs.

But anyway from the 2.5l which is 340lb to the 360 is 207lb. Now that's some weight difference. I'm thinking about going SOA in the rear and leveling it in the front when I get done.

Naaa. 4.0's are simply made of serious metal and meant to be bullet proof compared to light weight v8'a etc. they are "full metal jacket!" 8)

Secondly, in the 1960's we used to built chevy 235's etc with multiple carbs and split exhaust, along with 12.5 compression pistons, cams, and other stuff that would, with the torque of an inline engine, eat V8's off the line enough to keep them at bay in the 1/4 mile. Oh, what fun to pull up to a v8 with a 6 popper anbd beat them with the torque of an inline engine!

• 2 weeks later...

Well this weekend was Fall break for school. I got most of the wiring figured out just have to solder it together, mounted the computer and layed out the wiring harness in the engine bay. Also bolted the torque converter to the flex plate, harmonic balancer and ps pump.

From the JY I pucked up a 92+ windshield washer bottle, throttle cable, intake tube and some misc. parts.

Not sure I'm keeping the dodge ps pump it wits pretty low, I had to cut the bracket. If anyone has a jeep v8 ps pump with bracket i'm looking for one.

Also my birthday is at the end of this week. And no $#!& I told my GF jokingly weeks ago that i wanted a transfer case for my bday and She talked to my brother which knew what type i wanted and she and him got me one!!!! What can I say my GF is pretty much the bomb.

Also my birthday is at the end of this week. And no poo I told my GF jokingly weeks ago that i wanted a transfer case for my bday and She talked to my brother which knew what type i wanted and she and him got me one!!!! What can I say my GF is pretty much the bomb.

You should try and keep her around :yes:

You will need to make a video of the beat firing up for the first time.