360 Fuel Injection Build

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

yeah, me either, i though it would pick up a tach signal from the neg side of the coil but it didn't like that on this one. if it was that easy all we would need is one signal converter.

but the computer only supplies ground for the coil which would give a tach reading, and only way it would supply ground is if it had signal from the crank and cam sensors. then it sends info through the can bus wires (the twisted ones) to the gauge cluster. its not like a separate wire for the each individual gauge.

the cel would always be lit because we are not running an egr. so no light is the way to go, for now... I have a scan tool so i can check all the sensors and read the codes if there are any other than the egr

and also the cel would always be lit because the 99 computer wouldn't be getting signal from half the sensors so it would always be on. we would have to have double sensors for every circuit, lol

it gets complicated, real fast

try picking up the current CPS and cam sensor? I mean...what's the worst that could happen? you could just make a jumper harness for each to accomplish this...

Yeah I think we are going to try that, I have been searching around on the net, and they run into this same problem on the Tj's when they swap in different engines, most run after market gauge pods, but some had written novak conversions will modify your gauge cluster or something to pick up the tach signal. never got a definite answer so i email them last night. alot more info about the issue though on pirate4x4 and naxja.

also found a script confirming what I'm thinking:

"Your gauges receive all of their input via the CCD Buss. 2 wires carry the signal from the OEM PCM to the gauge cluster for oil pressure, vehicle speed, engine rpm, voltage.

From the FSM:

Quote:INSTRUMENT CLUSTER

Two basic instrument clusters are offered on this

model: low-line or high-line. Both clusters are electromechanical

units that utilize integrated circuitry and

information carried on the Chrysler Collision Detection

(CCD) data bus network for control of all gauges

and many of the indicator lamps.

Quote:TACHOMETER

The tachometer gives an indication of the engine

speed in revolutions-per-minute (RPM). The instrument

cluster circuitry controls the gauge pointer

position. The instrument cluster circuitry calculates

the proper gauge pointer position based upon an

engine speed message received from the Powertrain

Control Module (PCM) on the Chrysler Collision

Detection (CCD) data bus. The PCM uses an input from the crankshaft position

sensor and internal programming to calculate

what engine speed message is required. The PCM

then sends the proper message to the instrument

cluster on the CCD data bus. The crankshaft position

sensor is a hall-effect sensor installed near the rear

of the engine, where it is aimed at the trigger wheel

attached to the rear flange of the crankshaft.

Refer to Group 14 - Fuel Systems for more information

on the PCM. Refer to Group 8D - Ignition

Systems for more information on the crankshaft position

sensor."

only thing is if I splice that wire, is it going to disrupt the signal going to the computer running the engine.

it is well worth a shot, just have to get a day to tinker around with it.

Considering my brother is getting married next weekend, (360MJdude) the one that owns the jeep.

Do you have pictures of the front cross member you built to replace the one you cut out?

dsc00751.jpg

you can see it in this picture, we would still like to add some gussets that connect to the bottom side of the frame to make it more triangulated. also incorporate a steering box brace. just have not gotten there yet to redesign.

https://www.supermotors.net/registry/media/834333

you can also see here where the lower mount for the radiator is, acts as a cross member for the frame as well. It was all a tight fit, but we wanted that radiator since we knew it was designed for that engine, no matter what it took to fit it.

we have almost 2k miles on the setup everything and it seems to be working as it should, well except for the transmission. but its holding in there.

• 4 weeks later...
Don't remember what motor mounts I used right off hand. I have the napa part numbers at home and will let you know what they are. We did weld mounts to the frame and can get some pics if you would like.

Could I get the part #s for the mounts and pics of how you made the new frame mounts?

• 2 years later...
  • 3 weeks later...