First Restoration Project

I have made great progress with the Jeep this week. I got the axle installed and the new brake hoses on. By the way they look I don't think I needed them though. They look stressed when the Jeep is at rest. The superlift 3" springs don't impress me yet. The truck sits low in the front. We'll see how they ride a little later.

I had to rent the double flare tool from AZ again because the RF brake line broke and rusted about 6" from the end. I just cut off the bad section and flared a new end. I used a couple short lines for the fittings and used a coupler to join the new piece.

It worked out good and with a little paint and undercoating it's done.

So here are some pics in the back yard of a truck that actually moves under it's own power!!

The front axle is a little off center so I will have to address that at the alignment shop. I have yet to order my shocks because I have been debating the limited choices based on cost. I still have to do a lot of work, but this is a great start.

I have a lot of work to go, like getting a line-x bed liner put in, installing all the emblems and OE stickers to the exterior. I have to address that POS chineese antenna too in time. A sigh of relief at this point. :chillin:

• Replies 217
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Man, that truck looks like a million bucks!

You probably need an adjustable trackbar to get the front axle centered. Also, consider the Raptor U-Pol liner for your bed. I outline the steps in my build, linked in my signature. It looks better than LineX in my opinion.

Wow! Fantastic job! What a difference between the first pics and the last ones. Cheers, dude! :cheers: U take it for a ride yet?

Bet ur gf will look good sittin' in the front seat with ya.

I agree with the others, don't put any stickers on it, looks good the way it is. very sharp.

I thought the tires were equivilent to 31", but they are 245/70/16. I bought them for my '01 XJ 60th anniversary edition so I kept the wheels and tires for the Comanche. I would like a little bigger tires but these are brand new.

Thanks for all the compliments. I have yet to buy shocks for it though.

I can't wait to take it out for a ride with my girlfriend because she is proud of it and me. I would like to return the favor of her hard work and devotion.

She says "there's nothing like a ride in a old truck."

I can't agree with her more myself![/b]

• 2 weeks later...

I finally put my tools in my new tool box. I ordered my shocks too, BDS 9500 series. They are stainless steel so they won't rust. I called BDS after 5pm on Monday and they were still open! They are also a Michigan company which I like a lot. They suggested the shocks and I called my local distributer and they should be in on Wednesday.

Sweet!!!

Now, anyone want to buy a '89 Comanche Pioneer, 4.0L AW4 on column, 231 transfer case?

It was my donar truck which I only used the rear axle because I decided to go with a 5 speed after all.

I will post pics in the sale section soon. (Midland MI)

I got the new BDS shocks installed yesterday. Some assembly required. The shocks don't come with boots but the dealer I bought them from threw them in. :nuts: You have to press out the mounting feet on the front shocks to put the boots on. :mad: Then you have to press in the bushings on the rears. Like any truck doesn't need them? They went great after that, then I had to put on the stickers.

Here are some photos of the work.

I adjusted the new trac bar and front suspension to measurment and to eye, then I took it to Belle Tire and aligned it. The toe was perfect, just had to adjust the drag link to line up the steering wheel. The Hunter alignment machine there is perfect.

It drove great, a bit stiff for me so I am selling the new Superlift springs on the front and getting some softer ones. I will post them in the For Sale section soon.

Just for kicks I took some pics of the interior, I have to Dynamat the whole thing and install a radio and headliner.

A cool stance pic from the back and a pic of a couple of my Jeeps. :yes:

Well a good day indeed I'd say...

sweet looking truck!!!!! :bowdown: jamminz.gif I'm really diggin that rear bumper!! did u buy it or fabricate it?

I bought it from JCR offroad then had it painted to match with the truck. I like the clean look of it. I am still debating on which front brush guard to go with. I like the one on the "Cheap Cherokee" build on the show TRUCKS!, but they haven't emailed me back on how/who built it for them.

Torchmate is a company that sells plasma cutting tables and software. There was a company called iron scorpion that sold pre cut kits that a DIYer could weld and finish themselves. Real nice stuff and good prices. I don't know if they are still Carring them or not but worth looking at.

Just an update...

Still waiting on my new softer front springs from Motion. I got my Grand Cherokee stuck in my neighbors yard last night trying to move around my red parts Comanche. :rotf: Oops! Luckily my girlfriend was helping me so she pulled me out with her Grand.

I thought of using my (black) Comanche, but without 4wd yet it would be just laughter, although the thought had crossed my mind. It was just sitting in the garage with a frown because it couldn't help. :(

• 3 weeks later...

A lot of progress in the last month. I got the 4.0 litre badge and the Comanche badges on. Thanks for the replies for adhesive, the 3M moulding tape worked awesome! I used a exacto-knife to cut out the letters. My girlfriend helped me align the badges taking measurements.

Here are some pics:

I also shined up a set of front tow hooks I ran across on CL. The install went great on these too, I used new grade 8 bolts too.

And if that's not enough, I put my stickers on the back of the tailgate. I bought them online from a guy in Canada. They are reflective so they have more visability at night.

Here are those:

The reflection looks crazy on a camera flash!!

In case you didn't notice, I had Line-X spray my bed liner yesterday. They did an excellent job, here are some before and after pics.

Oh, I forgot, I put my new Motion Off Road front springs in too. They ride a little better than the superlift ones but I have heavy shocks on there plus a stiff roll bar. I will need to put a little weight in the bed to settle it down.