First Restoration Project

• Replies 217
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The OE rear end was a 3.07 gear and the right rear wheel cylinder leaked all over the brakes and turned the shoes to paste. I was going to replace just the wheel cyl but after finding the shoes in that condition it was a waste of time. The donar I bought had good backer plates, mine were rusted away and the brakes were new and it had the 3.55 gears. My leaf springs were in rough shape and the donar had broken ones so I bought new.

Oh, and I found that the bolts I got from Fastenall were fine thread and the nuts coarse thread!! After ruining all four I figured it out last night. Some things just slip our minds.

Till Tuesday...

• 2 weeks later...

So I broke down and bought a new camera to take pictures to put on the forum for you all so I hope you are enjoying the progress.

Here are some pics that I had of swapping the rear ends.

This cool idea came to me when I was planning the whole thing. I borrowed a friends two pipe stands and bought some casters at harbor freight for $8 and attached them to this MDF. It works like a charm so I could take it outside for the sandblasting and paint. The way I lifted it up there was a challenge too.

Now it's sitting right!!

Next is the rear brake lines...

I had a rather productive couple days. A old employer and good friend called me to inform me he had a '93xj he was scrapping. I went over and pulled the complete front axle assembly and transfer case with driveshafts and crossmember. I also pulled the track bar mount because mine was looking a little thin. When I was there I pulled the antenna because they don't sell them anymore and let me tell ya, pita! :ack: Within 5 hours I was back to my house with all the goodies.

Well this was the old front axle out of the red truck that I decided not to use, but you will get the idea of how I got it up there now. The same friend had a chain fall and it just so happens I had a 14" I-Beam and holes just for the occasion! :yes:

Skipping ahead, I know.

So this work was all for not because I am going to use the new non disco axle from the '93 instead because it is in much better shape all around.

Ok, After unloading all those parts myself my back is killing me, so I decided to do something a little less straining. I installed new rear brake lines so here goes!

The old hose:

Some new pics:

So that's that! Rear check image_209027.gif

Now a glimpse of the front end work:

• 1 month later...

Well, back at it again. I ordered new upper and lower control arms and all new bushings for the front end. I got a 64mm sway bar from a '93 Cherokee I am going to put in along with the axle. I repainted the Moog steering stabalizer because white isn't a good color for an undercarriage. Here are some pics of the paint job. The control arms should be here by the end of the week or first thing next week. Before the weekend would be great since I have it off.

That covered thing is my truck, so hopefully I can unveil it soon, on four wheels though!

Hilarious, well the thought of a belly mower comanche might be tempting, it is from my lawn tractor. My girlfriend helped me remove the mower deck and install the blade and chains for the winter since we had about 6 inches of snow in the driveway already. She is truely awesome.

As for the mower I bought it and a ton of accessories of a lady that was in the middle of a divorce and wanted to sell all her husband's lawn equipment. :clapping: I got the mower, dozer blade, tire chains, wheel weights, lawn roller, dump box, and a 8 horse vacuum tow behind leaf catcher. I got a smokin deal and my friend helped me with his 27' car hauler and it was full from stem to stern! What a coincidence, the same trailer I borrowed to get my Comanche a year later! :cheers:

Well, it looks like I have my work cut out for me. I just got my new control arms in so they will be installed along with all new bushings for the upper control arms and sway bar. The new 3 inch coils and adjustable track bar will be put in too. :yes:

Hilarious, well the thought of a belly mower comanche might be tempting, it is from my lawn tractor. My girlfriend helped me remove the mower deck and install the blade and chains for the winter since we had about 6 inches of snow in the driveway already. She is truely awesome.

As for the mower I bought it and a ton of accessories of a lady that was in the middle of a divorce and wanted to sell all her husband's lawn equipment. :clapping: I got the mower, dozer blade, tire chains, wheel weights, lawn roller, dump box, and a 8 horse vacuum tow behind leaf catcher. I got a smokin deal and my friend helped me with his 27' car hauler and it was full from stem to stern! What a coincidence, the same trailer I borrowed to get my Comanche a year later! :cheers:

Wouldn't that be something to see? Ridin' ur truck around the yard, mowin' grass. :driving:

Ur gf helped you what??????? This chick the same one that bought you the tool chest for Christmas? Where the heck did ya find her ? Those chicks don't exist. And are there more??? :brows: My last gf wouldn't even get her hands dirty, much less know how to use a wrench. Props for landin' her, dude. :bowdown: She as cute as she is awesome??? :drool:

Great idea with the MDF! What was the "challenging" way you lifted it up? Didn't pick it up by urself did ya?

Ur truck looks like it is comin' along. A lot of work. Good job! Can't wait to see it unveiled/finished

The other day my girlfriend and I were going to install the front axle. It seemed like an easy job but with a leaking water pump it seemed to easy to change that first, without the axle in the way. It took us about 3 hours by the time we ran to the parts store for odds and ends. It was a great sucess and she learned to install a water pump for the future. By the time we got the water pump done there was little time to focus on the axle. The WJ lower control arms are a pita!! :fs1: They take an hour of grinding on them to fit right and I am not impressed yet. I don't like modifying a brand new part and hitting the nice new paint with a hammer just sucks. If they don't work out I am going to buy the XJ ones and just put them in.

I wanted to have the axle in for my birthday (Today!) but that just wasn't in the cards. I guess good work takes time and I am in no hurry to drive it, but I sure would like to take a spin around the block!!

I still have to install the new front brake hoses and calipers and bleed the system. I have to install the new pressure bottle and bleed system too. Lots of work, just have to have the time to.

Later,

Great idea with the MDF! What was the "challenging" way you lifted it up? Didn't pick it up by urself did ya?

My friend from work lent me the stands and a chain fall and I have a 14 inch steel beam in my garage to hang it from. The chain is long enough to reach the ground to pick it up. "Work smarter, not harder." Scrooge McDuck.

The other day my girlfriend and I were going to install the front axle. It seemed like an easy job but with a leaking water pump it seemed to easy to change that first, without the axle in the way. It took us about 3 hours by the time we ran to the parts store for odds and ends. It was a great sucess and she learned to install a water pump for the future. By the time we got the water pump done there was little time to focus on the axle. The WJ lower control arms are a pita!! :fs1: They take an hour of grinding on them to fit right and I am not impressed yet. I don't like modifying a brand new part and hitting the nice new paint with a hammer just sucks. If they don't work out I am going to buy the XJ ones and just put them in.

I wanted to have the axle in for my birthday (Today!) but that just wasn't in the cards.

Happy Birthday!! image_209027.gif So ur gf does help on on the truck. Awesome! We need a picture to prove this woman is real. (j/k)

You would think that new parts should fit exactly as you need them to. Are the control arms the only thing keeping you from getting the axle in?

HFB!!!

Sorry you missed the instruction on the WJ install but yea you need to alter the width of the WJ mounting sleeve to make it fit in the MJ/XJ bracketry. The improvements will be seen once you get it on the road. better bushings and more tire clearance is now yours.

Good luck with the rest of the build!!

CW

You would think that new parts should fit exactly as you need them to. Are the control arms the only thing keeping you from getting the axle in?

Yeah, it's the only thing from getting the axle in, except more time that is. I did see a write up on the install of the control arms but I can't find it now, and the one I found didn't help much. I knew the busings need to be trimmed down but I still have had a little trouble with it. It's more of I just thought I would have it done by now, so it's just frustration that's all.

With a little help it would be easier, I tried to install it myself last night but the axle fell off the jack stand and about killed me. :doh: That was the end of work that night. I try to do most everything on my own, but this isn't one of them to try yourself.

I know how this is, I get plenty frustrated too. MANY time I have to walk away, have a beer and come back.

Just today a single bolt really gave it to me. The one n the back of the PS Pump. I simply couldn't get to it to loosen it. I tried all the usual tricks, hollering at it, threatening it and of coarse lots of dirty looks. None worked. :D LUCKY, I never got it really tite last time and I was able to just loosen it with the adjuster. I am going to make up a special wrench to allow me to get it easier.

Measure the length of the sleeve from the inside and trim equally from both ends so the arm remains centered in the mount. Do not start twisting or banging on the bracketry. have a good sized stillson wrench handi and grab the axle tube. Its inevitable that you will need to turn the axle one way or the other to align the bolts. This will be a life saver, trust me!! For really tough jobs, a jack can be used to really persuade the axle to align the bolt holes.

CW

Thanks for all the advice, I sure enjoy the responses and the interest. I do not want to rush the install so it may take days to get it done, but I always have that get it done now feeling. No need to cut corners now, I only drove it three times since I bought it last memorial day.

I tried once again with a little more common sense and time to install the axle. It seems the WJ lower control arms are to big and contact the top. This will not allow the axle to rotate enough to bolt up the upper control arms. I don't know if this is just because they are new Dorman parts and they will not work?

I have a few pics of this. I don't want to modify the axle mounting brackets so if this won't work I guess I will have to eat these and just order JKS adjustable lowers and call it a day.

Let me know what you think.

See the rotation of the pinion angle and distance between the upper mounts and control arms. I cannot get the axle to rotate and it's horizontal to the body.

This pic shows the contact area and the axle is up much further than it's lowest point of travel and the pinion isn't rotated correctly yet either.

Looks to me like I'm screwed and just wasted my money and time on these, I should have followed my gut feeling and just spent the money the first time and went with the adjustable ones. The hold up was thinking these would give you a better ride because they had rubber bushings instead of most adjustable ones with poly bushings.

I got the truck on it's own 4 wheels last night. I put LCA's from a '93 cherokee in for now, until I can figure out what control arms I should I can go with. The WJ ones did not work for me because I am not willing to cut the axle mounting brackets to fit. I installed the steering and Cherokee sway bar and Moog steering stabalizer.

I decided to go with Monroe Sensa-trac shocks because I can get them cheap so I can see what the ride is like. I have the new Superlift 3" coils and 3" Hell Creek springs out back. The truck sits 2" higher in the back so we'll have to see how it evens out. Overall I think the truck sits nice, when I put some weight in the back we'll see how it rides.

I installed new brake hoses out front and the '93 cherokee calipers and brakes. I still have to bleed the brake fluid and pour in antifreeze after doing the water pump. Then I will take it to Belle Tire and align it.

A good day indeed... Oh, did I mention that my girlfriend helped me re-install the front suspension? She bought a 2006 Grand Cherokee Limited with the Hemi yesterday so she's excited!!!

That makes 4 Jeeps in my yard yesterday, I need a pole barn.

On all 4 wheelz now?? COol! Yea, if ur not comfortible with modifying ur axle, then don't... I prolly wouln't

Ur gf sounds like she's gettin' to be a regular mechanic. So she's jumpin' on the Jeep bandwagon now too? Tell her we say welcome aboard, and enjoy the ride! That is, if she really exists... :brows: I still think ur makin' her up.

R u gonna put up pics of ur truck on wheelz? Can't wait to see!