First Restoration Project

Oil is SO over rated. :brows:

42k is just a break in period on these motors. Is the motor bad or do you just want the stroker?

Well...

It seems tired compared to my '98 XJ. The Cherokee was so much faster and I would like to have a LSD rear end someday too because getting stuck in my driveway on the way to work on one patch of ice isn't fun. I'm sure the cross hatch pattern is still in the bores but maybe I'll build that one for the '90 XJ project.

Interior I'm using from a donor.

• Replies 217
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 2 weeks later...

I got a visit from the Brown truck and FedEx the last few days. I got a 63mm aluminum throttle body for my stroker motor and I ordered some Hella e-code lamp assemblies with Hella H4 bulbs. I also ordered the Putco harness, I will measure voltage to the lights before and after the upgrade and include pictures for all who are interested. I am still waiting for my '99 intake to come, hopefully the next couple days it should show up. So here are the pics.

A few updates, as promised I took pictures of installing the Hella e-code headlight H4 conversion with the Putco relay harness. I took measurements of the voltage before I removed the old Silverstars with and without the truck running to show the voltage drop.

Old Silverstars:

I found out that one was broken so an even better upgrade then I thought!!

What I ordered.

Before

During, voltage with truck key on, brights on.

After Putco harness upgrade only, truck off. The battery voltage was 10V before, now 11.5V after!!

Voltage when truck was running at lights.

Voltage at battery with truck running.

New Hella's

Another project I was behind on was installing my new steering wheel. I changed out the turn signal stalk, the ignition switch and the steering wheel.

Before

After

After that was done I decided to get some top soil to fill in some low areas of the yard, 1000lbs doesn't go as far as you would think.

• 4 weeks later...

I finally broke down and ordered a header. It's from aFe power, 409 stainless tig welded 1/2" flanges etc. I was on the fence ordering one since I wanted to use my '99 intake and after calling them and talking to Steve who was tremendously helpfull he lined me up with the part I needed. I got it via UPS today and it fits PERFECT!!!!!!!!!! No grinding or anything.

I can't say enough about this company thus far, great customer service and helpfull staff. They sent me a confirmation email after I ordered it via phone and also sent me a paper copy of my reciept before the header got to my door! It was packed with a felpro flange gasket and a donut gasket for the down pipe. Also included was new bolts for the down pipe a licence plate holder and two high quality stickers in a heavy duty plastic zip lock bag. Incredible delivery of a product.

So here are some pics:

Thanks for the compliments. I really like the cats in the garage except for them jumping up on the cars when I work. It makes a job much more enjoyable when they are around playing. As for the motor aka "donk" as you are referring I stripped it down to paint it. I ordered some DEI heat tape to wrap the intake manifold with because it's so close to the exhaust. This week I will get that started. :wrench:

I worked on the stroker motor today. I just can't seem to just install the motor without painting everything first, afterall it should never come back out for some time. I removed all the accessories and cleaned the block and head with solvant and a scotchbrite before using engine primer and ceramic engine paint. I still have ALL the accessories to clean and paint. The oil pan was dented in on the bottom so I just bought a new one instead of fixing the old one that has NO rust on it. Piece of mind I guess.

I have a new aluminum valve cover coming on Tuesday so I didn't bother worrying about painting the old steel one. It has taken way more time than I would like but it's getting somewhere anyway.

Clean before paint.

After paint.

Ha, I have the exact same table in my living room covered in parts just like that.

Is that the Doorman replacement oil pan? Either way, how does the build quality feel? Trying to avoid a crappy replacement for mine.

Ha, I have the exact same table in my living room covered in parts just like that.

Is that the Doorman replacement oil pan? Either way, how does the build quality feel? Trying to avoid a crappy replacement for mine.

It's a Spectra oil pan, it looks identical to the one I pulled off minus the dent in the bottom. It was made in Canada :Canadaflag: and that's second on my list of best places to manufacture anything next to the good ole :USAflag: .

As for fit I will let you know next week, I have a lot of painting to do on the parts before I turn the engine upside down to reinstall the new pan.

Got the oil pan on tonight after work. I cleaned the block and used a little ultra black rtv to the ends and such. I took some pictures of the business end just for kicks before I installed the new pan. The pan fit perfect I was very impressed.

More updates on the motor build progress. I got the majority of the accessories installed today. I still have to transfer over the renix alternator, distributor, and A/C pump.

Intake manifold heat shield applied, that took some time!!

Myself, final torque of Brown Dog motor mounts brackets.

Gettin there.

And I won't forget to mention that my wife was home today to help me with the intake and exhaust. jamminz.gif

I had some company and some admirers.

Well, apparently my keyboard cannot translate my clapping and applauding into text so I will say congrats, it looks amazing! :clapping:

RockMJ

Thanks!

Last night I thought I'd get crazy (with the help of my wife) and remove the whole drivetrain in preperation of the new motor.

The engine bay is extremely clean, I will probably paint it anyway but the prep is cut down to just a wash and scrub. No oil residue on anything either.

• 1 month later...

Just an update to the build:

It's been a crazy summer thus far, I have been very busy with house projects so the truck has been on the back burner because I have been gathering a TON of info to educate myself as to what I need to make my stroker motor work right. That means the correct hard parts and what it takes to monitor the engine and tune it properly.

I ended up buying a wide band O2 monitor so I can determine the air/fuel ratio. I need to buy a new adjustable fuel pressure regulator and an adjustable MAP sensor too.

So here's the wide band O2 monitor I bought.

The LCD display is seperate so I am going to mount it under the quartz clock in the lowest part. It will be covered with a piece of black plexiglass so you won't see it until you turn the truck on. Very slick I must say.

This is where the truck sits today, I have been slowly working on getting the engine bay cleaned up for paint. I decided to choose VHT's epoxy satin black paint which is good up to 250 degrees and doesn't need a primer.

These are the parts I have been collecting for the build. I have had the lower control arms for a LONG time and decided to buy the matching adjustable uppers since I want to do it right after all.

The aFe box is the cold air intake which I haven't even opened yet!

So after all that I have one finishing touch to put on the truck after I get it running. That will be a well deserved icing on the cake after I get the motor put in. :chillin: